• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Discussion of Angel 11.02 "Out of the Past Part 2" - Released 2/15/17 (Dark Horse)

Buffy Summers

Yataro
Staff member
Sineya
Having seen a terrible vision with connections to his past, Angel is taken back in time by the goddess Illyria and finds himself in Illyria’s ancient past—by mistake. When she discovers when they are—in the middle of a battle between her past self and another god—Illyria’s not ready to leave without attempting to change what had been . . .

Source: Dark Horse

If you like Illyria and don't care what Angel or Fred look like, this is for you :) We go back into Illyria's past, which doesn't really interest me at all.

The writing is hit and miss. At one point Angel says that if he could see what people are wearing in this time period, he would know what time they were in. This just annoyed me because Angel is still a vampire, surely his senses would have told him he wasn't in a time he'd known before. Just sniff the air Angel, that might give you a clue you're not in your own past. Stupid writing and bad art, really disappointing.

Black Thorn
A few lines that stand out on reread:
  • Angel: "I'm sorry, Fred. People can change--even demons can change, apparently. But the Illyria from this time is pure evil." Fred: "Well, our Illyria is trying to be considerate now. She's warning me this time. She's coming through."
  • This is...interesting...in hindsight. Angel: "You can't fight that thing. Not in that body, without Fred's consent."
  • Illyria from our time sums up her problem this way: "If I fight, everyone dies. If I don't fight, everyone dies, and it only gets stronger. And if I do nothing, me-as-I-was will destroy everything! Is there nothing that will avert disaster?"

Buffy Summers

Yataro
Staff member
Sineya
Yeah, not my favorite. And the fact they used the whole "when are we" thing without making it a joke, was terrible. lol

It's like it's filler, or trying to make Illyria more sympathetic somehow.

thetopher

Member of the Church Of Faith
Sineya
This was...different. Not better or worse really than the previous.
Illyria's voice seems more authentic- apart from the 'when are we' line which was wince-inducing.

I actually liked the idea; time-travel (if done well) can lead to lots of interesting plots and the primordial demon-land was an original setting. Fleshing out Illyria and her history is an idea that I like.
A few things:
- Apparently primordial demons speak pretty good English given that Angel and Fred are able to chat with one around a campfire. Might've been better if FGred somehow 'knew' how to communicate with it, give her something to do.
- Illyria clearly thinks that she can change the past...well in that case why hasn't she gone back to safe-guard her army that she lost in S5 'Shells'; surely conquering the world in the modern day is better than sharing her existence with a skinny Texan scientist.
- Finally the problem is I'm not sure how 'human' Illyria is now that she and Fred are distinct entities; are we to believe than Cthulhuoid Old Ones can change and find 'humanity'? Old Ones don't have humanity in them, its how their distinct from all other demons I thought.

...Still Illyria wanting to safe-guard it/her people and regretting that failure can be taken as her always having depth to her character...but I'm not sure that chimes with what I remember from AtS S5.
Eh I don't care. This isn't terrible but I'm starting to have little niggling doubts.

Surprisingly- art aside- this is still more enjoyable that Buffy S11.