• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Discussion of Angel 11.05 - Released 5/24/17 (Dark Horse)

Buffy Summers

Yataro
Staff member
Sineya
Chasing the moment in the past that will bring disaster to the future, Illyria transports Angel and Fred to a new time period . . . One where the pair will have to strive to avoid Angelus, Darla, and pirates on the high seas as they search for a precious artifact that could lead to saving the future!

Source: Dark Horse

Really bad. I don't know what's going on, or why. They art is poor. It's such a shame and I can't help wondering if the publishers are trying to kill the franchise for some reason. I will keep reading because I need to own the full set, but there is no pleasure in it :(

Black Thorn
It's kind of funny that on reread I feel like the primordial Illyria arc made *more* sense than this one! I'm hoping I'll understand the relevance of this arc more when I get to issues #7 and #8.

A few things that stood out:
  • Illyria: "We are almost to that long-ago turning point in your life that you think will save the future. All we have to do now is fix your past."
  • Angel: "I think that jeweled beetle might have something to do with my vision."
  • They change history again, since Angelus doesn't kill the nasty-tasting sailor (whom Darla later bites but doesn't kill).
  • Angel says there's something odd going on that he missed the last time around. Fred says, "Your perspective was a little different then. I guess you were focused on other things." This seems to tie back to the conversation they had in issue #1, about Angel seeing/experiencing something in his past that he didn't know the importance of.

Mrs Gordo

(She's not even a vampire.) No, I'm an attorney.
Black Thorn
It's kind of funny that on reread I feel like the primordial Illyria arc made *more* sense than this one! I'm hoping I'll understand the relevance of this arc more when I get to issues #7 and #8.

A few things that stood out:
  • Illyria: "We are almost to that long-ago turning point in your life that you think will save the future. All we have to do now is fix your past."
  • Angel: "I think that jeweled beetle might have something to do with my vision."
  • They change history again, since Angelus doesn't kill the nasty-tasting sailor (whom Darla later bites but doesn't kill).
  • Angel says there's something odd going on that he missed the last time around. Fred says, "Your perspective was a little different then. I guess you were focused on other things." This seems to tie back to the conversation they had in issue #1, about Angel seeing/experiencing something in his past that he didn't know the importance of.
I'm following your re-reads closely so thanks for posting your analysis. So far what I'm gathering is there are A TON of lose ends to tie up in this last issue... we are sure they are only going to 12 right?

Black Thorn
I'm following your re-reads closely so thanks for posting your analysis. So far what I'm gathering is there are A TON of lose ends to tie up in this last issue... we are sure they are only going to 12 right?
Yep, it's the final issue, all right. I totally agree that there are still so many questions to answer!

thetopher

Member of the Church Of Faith
Sineya
Not much to say about this one. I think the set-up is okay; vampires on the high seas has potential, and I think Darla sounds about in-character.
Not sure about the magic-beetle broach thing, its a tenuous link to Angel's vision.
I am glad that we got more Fred because that way the stakes here are at least raised a little bit.

That's all I got, hardly a dynamic issue.