1. Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Ten thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Discussion of Angel 11.10 - Released 10/25/17 (Dark Horse)

Discussion in 'Angel: Season 11' started by Buffy Summers, Oct 25, 2017.

1. Buffy Summers

Buffy Summers Yataro Staff Member

Sineya
    Having forced a weakened Illyria to transport him to the time right before his own siring, Angel is determined to make a change--a change that could challenge his own existence. Deaf to the reasoning of Fred and Illyria, will this friend and goddess be able to stop the guilt-ridden vampire? And should they?

Source: Dark Horse

2. Grace

Grace Support-O-Gal

Black Thorn
    Well, I wasn't expecting THAT!

3. Mylie

Mylie Scooby

Now I’m curious... I still haven’t read a single issue this season but I’ll start right after I’m done with Buffy.

Is it anything big?

4. dcai0830

dcai0830 You spent three weeks moaning in a basement!

Black Thorn
    I am so incredibly confused.

5. EarthLogic

EarthLogic Class Protector

What the hell is going on? Out of curiosity I read a spoiler on *********. Major 'splainy needed RIGHT NOW!

6. Priceless

Priceless I didn't forget y'know

Please someone spoil me on this. I wont get to read it for another few days and I need to know :)

7. Grace

Grace Support-O-Gal

Black Thorn
    @Priceless, here's the final page of the issue...

[​IMG]

Stoney and Priceless like this.
  8. Priceless

OMG :eek: I honestly do not know how to feel about this. Thanks @Grace for posting. Think I'm in shock. I never saw this coming, not at all

9. EarthLogic

EarthLogic Class Protector

SO. WEIRD.

Priceless likes this.
  10. dcai0830

Black Thorn
    Angel’s new bae:

[​IMG]
    :eek::eek:

fauxindigo, Priceless and Grace like this.
  11. Deniwizard

Deniwizard Rogue demon hunter.

That had to be the most WTF moment so far, I mean my mouth dropped :eek:. I was enjoying this issue so much, I even got watery eyes reading the exchange between Angel and his family, and then THAT happened! I hate it with a passion!

I gotta say the hug thing was suspicious and super out of character too. I hope there is a reason behind this, I can't think of them as an item, it's just... weird.

PS: I tried to post something as a spoiler (using the 'Insert' thingy) but it didn't show in the posted post (lol) and I had to delete it. Can somebody please help me with this or redirect me? Thank you!

dcai0830 and Grace like this.
  12. Antho

Antho Scooby

SO the assassination of the character of Angel continue ! Good to know..

MarlieTheSlayer likes this.
  13. Grace

Grace Support-O-Gal

Black Thorn
    If you use the 'Insert' thingy, the box that pops up gives you the option to put in a title that will show up, so that's not where you put the actual spoiler. If you click continue, it will give you the tags you need to mark something as a spoiler. If you don't want a title on your spoiler, you can also just skip the Insert step and use [ SPOILER ]your text[ /SPOILER ] (without the extra spaces between the word and the brackets).

Deniwizard likes this.
  14. dcai0830

Black Thorn
    I think I've officially hit the "anger" portion of the stages of grief over yesterday and I'd like to comment
    re the Illyria kiss.

Contrary to popular belief, I have no problems with either Buffy or Angel having separate love interests. Yes my personal belief is that the end game is them two together but if that happens or not I still want my heros to be in positive relationships. If Angel and Illyria are just hooking up fine - eww (see photo above) but fine.

But if this about Angel and Illyria the blossoming relationship, that is complete and utter crap. Angel's journey through out the years has been about the fight between man and monster. He alienated himself from humanity for so long because he felt he didn't belong. The few times to integrate into humanity BB (Before Buffy) they didn't pan out all that great see for example AYNOHYEB when he was hung. But joining the fight with Buffy forced him to find his place among humanity and dedicate his life to protecting them. His move to LA and his family showed him that he despite having a demon inside him, he does belong and can exist in the human world. It is the ties to humanity that keep him grounded, as Doyle says in City of:

Doyle: "Because now I’m going to tell you what happens next. You see this vampire, he thinks he’s helping. Fighting the demons. Staying away from the human’s so as not to be tempted. Doing penance in his little - cell. But he’s cut off. From every thing. From the people he’s trying to help."

This is why Buffy and his AI family were so transformative for him. They taught him that he could belong in this world, not be cut off from it.

Enter Illyria - Illyria has struggled, since her release, to understand humanity. She first wanted to destroy it. Then she was disgusted by humanity. Then for a long time, she was a casual observer of humanity, intrigued by human emotion and suffering yet not quit grasping it. In ATF, she appears more accepting of the humanity that resides in her:

"I am infected with humanity."

And certainly from the little bits I have read and seen reviews she does seem to be very affected by Fred's presence. Regardless, because of Illyria's own mission to explore and understand humanity she remains cold, distant, I find her "hug" in this issue very OOC. She is not a warm affectionate person.

I don't think that two people who have a tenuous relationship with humanity are a good match for each other. And specifically because my greater concern is Angel's continued development, an attachment to Illyria could further alienate him from the humanity he has so desperately sought.

I can't help but think that the writers did not think this through and I find it very upsetting.

15. Grace

Grace Support-O-Gal

Black Thorn
    Those are all good points, @dcai0830.

It's going to be really interesting to find out what Fred thinks of this – I assume that will happen in the next issue. In #9, we got this revelation:

[​IMG]

So if Fred can basically sense what Illyria is doing, is she screaming inside her mind right now? Is she into it? Will this evolve into some sort of thruple? Or will the end effect of this journey be that Illyria and Fred fuse into one character? It's potentially *a lot* to sort out in two issues.
    --- Double Post Merged, Oct 26, 2017 ---
    They apparently think it's funny. This is the teaser for the next issue:
    [​IMG]

16. Antho

Antho Scooby

Seriously ?? Wow these people are just incompetent and stupid.. mistreat a character is lame but joking the fan is even worse. Please don’t give them your money..

MarlieTheSlayer likes this.
  17. dcai0830

Black Thorn
    lol @Grace a thruple... gosh this could get very weird very fast.

Very upsetting headline on the Season 11 #11 :oops:

Grace likes this.
  18. Deniwizard

Deniwizard Rogue demon hunter.

Thank you! :D

19. Priceless

I am sure this has already been mentioned, but because Illyria is a God, couldn't she lift Angel's curse?

I have to go back an re-read the whole season to see if this was on the page all along and I just never saw it

TriBel likes this.
  20. Ethan Reigns

Ethan Reigns Scooby

Sineya
    She not God, she is a god in a pantheon and each individual god has a specialty. She apparently had the time-shifting capabilities of the Rwasundi demons who tormented Buffy in "Dead Things" and we saw her stake Spike and decapitate Angel in another time line. She has not expressed interest in magic so I doubt there is anything she is capable of doing about a curse. Besides, if she did lift Angel's curse, there would be a massive redirection of the plot to overthrow Spuffy and re-establish Bangel. I am not a shipper so I don't particularly care one way or the other although I have a slight preference for Spuffy because the story is open-ended. But I don't see Buffy and Angel settling down as a normal couple after Buffy has spent several happy years with Spike. There would be a revolution among the fandom and the Spuffies who had stuck it out with finally getting her "I love you" to Spike might take the rocket launcher from "Innocence" and aim it at Joss. There wouldn't be anything to gain from the Bangels - they have already bailed from the comics.

nmcil12 and Priceless like this.