• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:

1. You really should register so you can chat with us!

2. Fourteen thousand people can't be wrong.

3. Buffy-Boards loves you.

4. See 1 through 3.

Come on, register already!

Discussion of Angel 11.10 - Released 10/25/17 (Dark Horse)

Grace

Destructo-Girl
Black Thorn
I assumed she meant because she used to have a crush on him and now she doesn’t? But who knows.

Does it feel weirdly anti-climactic to you?

Mrs Gordo

Bangel extremist...
Black Thorn
Does it feel weirdly anti-climactic to you?

Yes. But I'm also having a really hard concentrating on anything besides their noses right now... this is a new penciller I guess? Is this Megan Levens? Do they bring her in randomly to make people ugly?

I assumed she meant because she used to have a crush on him and now she doesn’t?

Or... is it that she used to not have a crush on him and now she does?? hmmmm...

Grace

Destructo-Girl
Black Thorn
Oh, I never thought of that! The intrigue increases ... slightly.

I think the artist is the same! Not sure, though.

Priceless

Scooby
I thought it was because she does have a crush on him. They've been travelling together for a while and got pretty close.

Mrs Gordo

Bangel extremist...
Black Thorn
Then again she doesn't look very swoony in the first panel. She looks annoyed. I guess its of little use to speculate. Might as well just wait for the issue. the 22nd right?

Priceless

Scooby
I think Fred looks like that because Angel likes Illyria, not her. But not long to wait, though I'm not sure many of our questions will be answered

Grace

Destructo-Girl
Black Thorn
Dark Horse just put up a couple of pages here.

3000600p1.jpg

3000600p2.jpg

nmcil12

Potential
The New Rules comic book story offered the perfect opportunity for both Spike and Angel to move into a more modern era of Vampires - Buffy and Willow could have chosen to give Spike and Angel parity with the New Rules Magic Vamps and they could also have anchored Angel's soul. I wish they had given Spike and Angel the capability of being able to live in the sunlight, hell even a limited walking in the sunlight would have been nice. Instead, the story that was offered was the test of faith for both Buffy and Spike in the Archaeus arc where Spike had to finally take full control of his soul and responsibility for his life with defeating Archaeus. Maybe this season will have Angel doing the same - Perhaps what we will get is Angel being forced to accept that He Can Actually Live Without All That Guilt, finally he might be able to have some balance in his life with his Angelus life and his Angel life.

In the arc with Drusilla and the Lorophage - Angel is so emphatic that he must have his guilt to keep Angelus under control - I felt even then that Angel/Angelus could not continue in that eternal state of guilt - he needed then and now. IMO, to be able to live without all his guilt acting symbolic chains on Angelus. I still think that Angel's story would only end with his ultimate sacrifice of Death or Angel/Angelus finally being able to coexist without The Guilt Chains/Prison.

Regarding Angel-Illyria - I am surprised and simultaneously not surprised as I have been expecting Angel to find his way to Fred and for them to be a new romantic couple. Not that I like it, I've never liked Fred being resurrected and introduced into the series again.

Ever since Fred was able to take control over Illyria and not be completed dominated by the obvious Super Powerful Player in the symbiotic life form - I expected that Fred would imbued Illyria, more than ever, with the human perspective and emotions.

Deniwizard

Rogue demon hunter.
I like Fred, she's cool beans and all, and I'm all in for Angel finding a little happiness in his life too, but whenever I think about Fredllyria involved with Angel, I cannot unhear this part of the commentary for 'A Whole in the World':

AMY ACKER: James (Marsters) kept telling me he thought we would be love interests. I was like, "I don't know!" (laughs)
JOSS WHEDON: He was talking about *the show*, right?
AMY: Oh, maybe *that's* where I got confused.
ALEXIS DENISOF: Well, who hasn't been a love interest for Fred? Let's face it.
AMY: That's true, I was the -- (silence)... Corporate slut (laughs).
JOSS: A little bit, yeah. I mean, we cut some of the scenes of you and Accounting... 'Fred Gone Wild', but umm...
(Amy laughs)

:rolleyes: Can Angel just focus on the mission and leave the romance aside for a *little* longer?
You know, until Buffy breaks up with Spike in the future? :)

Mrs Gordo
Mrs Gordo
lol love the spoiler tag ;)

Grace

Destructo-Girl
Black Thorn
I like Fred, she's cool beans and all, and I'm all in for Angel finding a little happiness in his life too, but whenever I think about Fredllyria involved with Angel, I cannot unhear this part of the commentary for 'A Whole in the World':

AMY ACKER: James (Marsters) kept telling me he thought we would be love interests. I was like, "I don't know!" (laughs)
JOSS WHEDON: He was talking about *the show*, right?
AMY: Oh, maybe *that's* where I got confused.
ALEXIS DENISOF: Well, who hasn't been a love interest for Fred? Let's face it.
AMY: That's true, I was the -- (silence)... Corporate slut (laughs).
JOSS: A little bit, yeah. I mean, we cut some of the scenes of you and Accounting... 'Fred Gone Wild', but umm...
(Amy laughs)

:rolleyes: Can Angel just focus on the mission and leave the romance aside for a *little* longer?
You know, until Buffy breaks up with Spike in the future? :)

Yes, the idea of Fred potentially being with Angel after both Wes and Gunn is off-putting for me, too.

Deniwizard

Rogue demon hunter.
Yes, the idea of Fred potentially being with Angel after both Wes and Gunn is off-putting for me, too.

Yeah, whatever they decide to do with those two, I hope it's not another unresolved Cangel stuff because if they keep screwing up Angel's storyline, I'm gonna Twitter-rant Corinna Bechko again :rolleyes:

I like Fred, she's cool beans and all, and I'm all in for Angel finding a little happiness in his life too, but whenever I think about Fredllyria involved with Angel, I cannot unhear this part of the commentary for 'A Whole in the World'

Also, there's not way to edit one's posts, right? 'cause now I see I wrote "Whole" instead of "Hole" and I'm so embarrased :oops: sorry about that!

Grace
Grace
No, the editing window is just 15 minutes. But we knew what you meant! No worries!

Mylie

Scooby
Just read this one and, even knowing about the kiss beforehand... it makes absolutely no sense? I feel like it comes out of nowhere!

Another thing that made me raise an eyebrow was Angel's reaction to Illyria saying erasing Angel would mean Connor wouldn't exist. Not buying that reaction for a second...

Grace

Destructo-Girl
Black Thorn
Agreed, @Mylie!

I noticed more on reread that before she hugged Angel, Illyria said: "Once we are home, I will not be so careless, but for now...you need comfort." So maybe it'll mostly be dropped as a one-time thing?

Angel's conversation with Kathy about the ring she gave him stood out:
"Now that you have this, you won't forget me, not ever."
"You can count on that."

They also brought up that problem with going over the same timeline that Illyria mentioned before:
Angel: "But you said going backward and forward over the same track is dangerous. That hasn't changed."
Illyria: "It has not... But sometimes consequences overburden risk."

Also this:
Illyria: "You still do not understand the damage that ending yourself here would have done?"
Angel: "Would things have really been so different? Think of all the damage I wouldn't have done."
Illyria: "And then think of the world, and of people like Fred...and me. I am better because of you, Angel. The past...It is the past. I have learned this. The things that have happened make us who we are now. Seeing it again doesn't make that any less the case. Nor does changing it. Unless you go and do something irreparably stupid that you get us all killed."
Angel: "I just wish none of this had happened."
Illyria: "In that, we are one."

thetopher

Member of the Church Of Faith
Sineya
So, this episode I kinda hated Angel a bit.
Like, 'oh if you didn't exist then Connor wouldn't exist! Eh, he's been through so much suffering wouldn't it be better if he hadn't existed at all? Whaa?
Or 'Fred, you would've gotten out of Pylea eventually'.... Yeah. because she was just biding her time all those YEARS and making herself crazy. Urgh!

Yes I know he's eaten up by guilt and wanted to save his family but...its kinda frustrating that he's making the same mistakes he's always making, only this one is actually very selfish.

The Angel/Illyria kiss was completely out of nowhere and left zero impression on me. It was stupid and has no basis in foundation, sorry it just doesn't.
I figure that Fred (in the spoilers) is upset because of that time she caught 'Angel' with Lilah and got very upset about it. But I figured that she must be over her Angel-crush years back...
- Oh and I saw a deliberate attempt by the artist to make Angel's little sister Kathy look kinda like Fred (the eyes and the shape of the face) which just adds to the ick.

Overall the issue was disappointing.

badsister
badsister
you better save that disappointment for the final issue....

The Bronze

Rogue Demon Hunter
Black Thorn
This issue was at least interesting because we got to see Angel interacting with his family. Would have preferred it in some kind of flash back or whatever but it still had a bit of emotional clout that has been completely missing before this.

Other than that it's still rubbish. Angel is in full on moron/god mode, trying to bend the universe to his will. Showing that he's learnt absolutely nothing in the years after the Twilight debacle.

He also now apparently has no regard for the cool person Connor has become. Which Angel actually helped to create in his own reshape the universe in my image and hope for the best kind of way.

Don't know what to say about the Angel & Fredlyria nonsense. I guess he'll go for whatever's closest.

Top Bottom