• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Discussion of Angel #29 Release 01/13/2010 (IDW)

Angelic Slayer

Daydream Believer
Sineya
Here's the place to discuss number 29 :)

TFAW said:
Where has the 'hero of L.A.' gone? While Team Angel Investigations try to figure out how to handle the everyday demons, danger, and evil-doing on their own, Angel's whereabouts turn out to be part of a seriously sinister conspiracy.

Plus: chapter of the Eddie Hope back-up by Williams and Messina.
source: tfaw.com

Buffyverse Fan

* The 28th *
Sineya
...I had such high hopes based on #28... I even defended Bill Willingham in his spat with Joss...

#29 was mediocre. Spike's been hyper-sexualized, which isn't great. Spike's always been a guy with swagger, but here he's portrayed as a walking sex-joke for some unknown reason.

Illyria's okay. But let's be fair, she's the easiest to write for since she mostly just says odd things that don't necessarily have to make sense at first glance.

Kate is surprisingly good. I don't know how anyone could get a better handle on a scarcely recurring character like her and have trouble with a lead like Spike, but...

Connor is excellent, again. Honestly, Willingham arguably writes Connor better than Bell, Fury, Lynch and even Whedon. He's masterfully incorporated Connor's years of evolution into a believable, maturing man with his turgid background.

Angel is not good. I think the reason Willingham shifted the focus from Angel to Connor (20% Angel, 80% Connor) is because he knows where his strength lies. He has Angel waxing on the poetic waaay too much. The only time Angel has ever spoken in the manner that Willingham uses was when he was having a heart-to-heart with Buffy, it's downright odd having him speak in such a poetic, wordy manner.

I'm really liking the Eddie Hope subplot. I don't really know why, but it's working for me.

Summation

Characterizations:
Angel - 3/5
Spike - 3/5
Connor - 5/5
Kate - 4.5/5
Illyria - 4/5

Story:
4/5

Creativity:
4/5

(As a key, the benchmark of a 5/5 would be After the Fall)

P.S. - In my head, Eddie Hope has Michael Rosenbaum's voice; and, Betta George has Bill Murray's.

Spike Angelus

Vampire With a Soul
So Angel's been kidnapped and his blood is being used to turn the rich and powerful into vamps? This story just doesn't excite me. Maybe issue 30 picks up a bit more? I'll read it tomorrow.

B
Buffyverse Fan
Actually, I think #29's better than 30...
Top Bottom