• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Discussion of "Angel #34" Release 23/06/2010 (IDW)

white avenger

white avenger
Was this issue supposed to be comical or just IDW's attempt to get back at Dark Horse for the antics in Buffy #35? Because beyond that, I saw no reason for it whatsoever.

Kean

Professional Bangel
Sineya
The thread isn't up yet but has anyone read issue 35? Is it going to be regarded as canon? Because if it is than Spikey boy pretty much got relegated to evil bastard once again.

Apparently he came back from Hell without a soul and he was the one who got the the prophecy written about Twilight written. Just so he could save the day and get the girl. What a hero.

Now, if it isn't canon I really think it is IDW's eff you to Joss but if it isn't then we have a very new situation on our hands.

white avenger
white avenger
I'm still backin' the little guy. He worked too hard for that soul to have lost it now.

white avenger

white avenger
I haven't read it yet, but I was under the impression that nothing that IDW did after the return from hell was canon. I agree, if that is not the case, and if this is really supposed to be their attempt to tie their series in with what Dark Horse has been doing, then Spike's entire character is going to have to be reevaluated. Then again, it isn't as though Angel hasn't altered reality to serve his own wishes, so maybe Spike's just doing what he learned from granddaddy. (On a much larger scale, of course)

That would, of course, be a great way to serve both the Spuffy AND Bangel ships, if Spike were to end up with the girl, making the Spuffies happy, while the Bangels can say, "Yeah, but he had to cheat to do it. If Buffy were thinking straight, she would be with Angel." Then Season 9 could be about Angel finding a way to manipulate time yet again, this time so that HE gets the girl. Then the Spuffies can say, "Yeah, but Angel cheated too. Buffy was under a spell when she picked Angel this time, so ..." The gist being that Buffy wasn't acting on free will either way.

And once more the argument goes on. And on. And on. And...

---------- Post added 07-31-2010 at 12:11 AM ---------- Previous post was 07-30-2010 at 11:40 PM ----------

Just to add a little light on the "Spike returned from hell" question, this

Spike #1 (of 8) at TFAW.com

is TFAW's teaser for the Spike 8 part series coming up, which is, I believe, supposed to be IDW's attempt to tie their story line in with what is currently going on with Buffy at Dark Horse. It's supposed to explain how Spike got his weird vehicle, where the crew came from, and so on. Note that it refers there to Spike as the "vampire with a soul," so, apparently, at least for Issue #1, he still has his soul AFTER the return from hell, so I would say that at least the "returning from hell without a soul" part is wrong. Which isn't to say that he won't lose his soul during the next 7 issues, but I seriously doubt that Joss would accept anything like that major a change in one of his star characters to be considered canon.

Kean

Professional Bangel
Sineya
I haven't read it yet, but I was under the impression that nothing that IDW did after the return from hell was canon. I agree, if that is not the case, and if this is really supposed to be their attempt to tie their series in with what Dark Horse has been doing, then Spike's entire character is going to have to be reevaluated. Then again, it isn't as though Angel hasn't altered reality to serve his own wishes, so maybe Spike's just doing what he learned from granddaddy. (On a much larger scale, of course)

That would, of course, be a great way to serve both the Spuffy AND Bangel ships, if Spike were to end up with the girl, making the Spuffies happy, while the Bangels can say, "Yeah, but he had to cheat to do it. If Buffy were thinking straight, she would be with Angel." Then Season 9 could be about Angel finding a way to manipulate time yet again, this time so that HE gets the girl. Then the Spuffies can say, "Yeah, but Angel cheated too. Buffy was under a spell when she picked Angel this time, so ..." The gist being that Buffy wasn't acting on free will either way.

And once more the argument goes on. And on. And on. And...

---------- Post added 07-31-2010 at 12:11 AM ---------- Previous post was 07-30-2010 at 11:40 PM ----------

Just to add a little light on the "Spike returned from hell" question, this

Spike #1 (of 8) at TFAW.com

is TFAW's teaser for the Spike 8 part series coming up, which is, I believe, supposed to be IDW's attempt to tie their story line in with what is currently going on with Buffy at Dark Horse. It's supposed to explain how Spike got his weird vehicle, where the crew came from, and so on. Note that it refers there to Spike as the "vampire with a soul," so, apparently, at least for Issue #1, he still has his soul AFTER the return from hell, so I would say that at least the "returning from hell without a soul" part is wrong. Which isn't to say that he won't lose his soul during the next 7 issues, but I seriously doubt that Joss would accept anything like that major a change in one of his star characters to be considered canon.
I can't imagine any of this sticking either. I'm definitely leaning towards the "IDW screws with Joss" angle. However, since you mentioned it I just like to point out that Angel never manipulated time because of jealousy. Both times it was out of love.

Also, I'm assuming if Spike wrote this prophecy then Angel and Buffy were never supposed to actually end up together i.e. issue 35. I can't see him writing that in at all!. That would still make their reunion very much a choice they made without the influence of prophecy.

Spikefan31

Effulgent
Black Thorn
I REALLY hope Spike losing his soul is NOT canon! It would totally suck if it was! But probably, and hopefully, as you guys said, it's just IDW saying 'eff you' to Joss :p I mean, Spike went through so much to get his soul and he became a champion. To take that away...It'd just be sad...

Anya2012
Anya2012
[No message]

Tranquillity

That'll put marzipan in your pie plate bingo
On the IDW Boards the editor (and now co-writer) of Angel says there is more to the story than meets the eye and that it will all become clear over the next two issues. whatever that means.

Top Bottom