• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Discussion of "Angel: After the Fall #2" - Released 12/19/07 (IDW)

Senior Watcher

~*VH Secret Handshakes*~
well, its out. i have to say that i enjoy seeing all the characters again, but im still disappointed in the progress of the arc. to me it seems we are given another issue comprised mostly of character introductions, some friendly banter, and very little plot.

another gripe i have is the cost. the comic is $1 more than buffy. its hard for me to want to pay that when, compared to buffy, the art work isnt as the good and the story is way weaker.

being a whedon fan, i will buy the next issue. however, if we are given the same stuff that we have received in the past two issues, i may not be able to swallow the cost any more.

A

Allycat

It's the correct date. Usually it's one week later, but Diamond Distributions is closed over christmas. I couldn't get my copy because once again the pre-order was sold out. So, I have to take it to e-Bay again.

goldenboy

Scooby
I actually still don't have issue #1, the shop was sold out today. So I'm a little sketchy on plot details.

I dunno. #2 kind of veers into feeling like authentic ANGEL now and again. It's like Lynch has the mindset and attitude of a Buffyverse writer, but he'd be a 2nd or 3rd stringer on the writing staff, at best.

Why is Connor calling Angel "Angel"? When did he ever address him that way? What did I miss?

How is it that Gunn could have that much self-control and moral awareness as a newly minted vamp? It took Spike years, and a chip in his brain to discover his humanity. I'm not sure what's going on there.

The art's...alright at times. Lacks detail.

Hopefully, the story will pick up, get involving.

Tranquillity

That'll put marzipan in your pie plate bingo
I got my #2 yesterday (standard cover - varients seem to be as rare as hens teeth in my neck of the woods) and have to say that i think it really does feel like a new season of Angel. I think the character voices are spot on - i think Connor is calling Angel "Angel" because that's what he called him in Origin and Not fade Away. Although he knows that Angel is his father he still has all the implanted memories too and probably calles the human father "Dad". I like that we have the beginnings of a real story and that the characters are getting established early. Wesley is intreaguing, Gunn is heartbreaking (my take on Gunn is that he thinks its still possible to be a good guy, that he can still hang on to his pre-vampire ideals but the reality, as seen in his chowing down on the girl in #1 and his brutal attack on George, demonstrate that he's completely deluded and that he can't control the monster he is now. for me, Gunn's story is unfolding as completely tragic) and Spike, well that's all just really weird and hopefully there's more to his situation and his interaction with Angel than meets the eye. I like how references have been made to what happened in the ally after NFA - that Angel couldn't move, that Gunn was turned during the battle and am looking forward to the First Night issues when we'll get the full story. The couloring is so much better than in #1 so that is a welcome improvement. One small complaint - enough with the half naked women already!!!!!

A
Allycat
very much in agreement.

goldenboy

Scooby
OK, that makes a little more sense with Gunn...I think. I'll have to get my hands on #1. I guess it kinda reminds me of the sailor that Angel vamped in "Why We Fight". Looking for a mission...

I think all the cheesecake is mostly Urru's thing. He seems to be a fan of the buxom babes. I really wish IDW (and Joss for that matter) had really thought this through and pulled out all the stops. They need a brilliant penciller for this. Pointless bitching, I know.

Clem Rocks

Scooby
Wow, it's a good thing they're in hell, because that issue was boring as hell, it felt like i'd only read like five pages before "To be continued".

Glad to see Illyria got to keep Spike as her pet. Just one question: What did Angel name the Dragon?

I'm guessing either "Buffy", "Cordelia", "Doyle" or "Barry Manilow!" XD

Edit:

Just looked really close, and i'm pretty sure he's named it Buffy

and lol, Puff, yeah i get it :p

P.S: couldn't find edit button >_<

white avenger
white avenger
Obviously, the dragon's name is "Puff" (God, PLEASE don't make that such an old joke that I have to sing the stupid song just to explain it)

tommy

spill things on your idol
another gripe i have is the cost. the comic is $1 more than buffy.
I feel it's worth it for more comic pages and no ads in the middle. I hate those Tales from the Crypt ads in the middle of Buffy with a disgusting corpse looking at me. Should get my #2 soon from an eBay seller.

Tranquillity
Tranquillity
i agree and i like the paper quality too.

Ashxking

one evil monkey
I wonder if the other bosses have other magic items that if brought together could turn LA back to normal. Normal rules of time and space seem to out the window. (Angel and Spike in direct sunlight)

A

Allycat

Against all odds I got my copy before christmas afterall; thank you e-Bay.

I got my #2 yesterday (standard cover - varients seem to be as rare as hens teeth in my neck of the woods) and have to say that i think it really does feel like a new season of Angel. I think the character voices are spot on - i think Connor is calling Angel "Angel" because that's what he called him in Origin and Not fade Away. Although he knows that Angel is his father he still has all the implanted memories too and probably calles the human father "Dad". I like that we have the beginnings of a real story and that the characters are getting established early. Wesley is intreaguing, Gunn is heartbreaking (my take on Gunn is that he thinks its still possible to be a good guy, that he can still hang on to his pre-vampire ideals but the reality, as seen in his chowing down on the girl in #1 and his brutal attack on George, demonstrate that he's completely deluded and that he can't control the monster he is now. for me, Gunn's story is unfolding as completely tragic) and Spike, well that's all just really weird and hopefully there's more to his situation and his interaction with Angel than meets the eye. I like how references have been made to what happened in the ally after NFA - that Angel couldn't move, that Gunn was turned during the battle and am looking forward to the First Night issues when we'll get the full story. The couloring is so much better than in #1 so that is a welcome improvement. One small complaint - enough with the half naked women already!!!!!
I think you've pretty much summed up how I felt about this issue. The Connor-Angel connection makes every sort of sense. And Gunn's story is a tragic one indeed.

As for the women; I read somewhere (and no, there's no link) that after getting some criticism about that for the first issue, Brian took it up with Franco and it will be changed in future issues. However, at the time the art for issue 2 was already completed, so if we see any changes, it should be from issue 3 on.

And on that note, I can't wait for it. This story is unfolding very nicely. There's a just big enough amount of mystery answered to get my satisfied but plenty more left unaswered to have me wondering about for a whole month.

Lyri

Buckle Up Tight
Sineya
this arrived this morning...an early Christmas pressie, as i wasn't expecting it until Thursday at the earliest.

the storyline is slowly dragging me in, but i don't know if it's because i actually wanna know what's going on, or if i'm hoping it gets better.

i like the relationship between Angel and Connor. i'm glad they're still on that middle ground they were during 'NFA' it could lead to a closer father/son relationship if they ever get out of hell.

not so sure if i liked Spike's introduction. i wanted him to be fighting on the front lines, not lounging at the Playboy Mansion. hopefully next issue will pull him into the fight a little more.

i didn't like Illyria. not only does she look a little...blah, but the whole 'Your presence is irritating my pet' was just stupid, IMO.

i agree with everyone about the Gunn storyline...i'd like to see where they're gonna go with that. i'm imagining some sort of suicide thing...

HATED the art. it looks like something a high school kid would come up with. Angel, Connor, Spike, Gunn and Wes all looked pretty ok, i can live with those. but Gwen and Nina? i could do better. i hope the art improves, or they find a new artist. that's my one major problem with this comic...the art sucks.

Black Eye Guy

Taking over the World!
Black Thorn
The art was Awful! And the story was boring.

I liked the Connor/Angel bits, Gwen was ok, but she looked awful. Illyria looked stupid and they've turned spike into a idiot. And clearly the first thing Nina did when getting sent to hell was get breast implants! And her character is too different from the character on the show.

I bought the two covers and a third one that was just the cover drawn not coloured in, but it was the last time I'm gonna get all covers, cuz I don't care anymore...

S
Senior Watcher
thank you for saying all that. for a moment there i thought i was taking crazy pills since most everyone is swooning over it.

tommy

spill things on your idol
it felt like i'd only read like five pages before "To be continued".
Hum, yeah. The February issue will be Angel putting a shirt on :).

I read #2 yesterday. Not very exciting really, even the end. We've seen Angel and Illyria fight before and this time there's no good reason for it.

The bigger story with the city divided up, each section with its own lord, sounds a lot like a video game to me.

VisionGuy

Oh Plerr
I'm really not feeling this continuation. The whole LA sucked into hell thing sounds too unbelievable to me. Wouldn't the rest of the world notice? Realistically speaking, if Buffy were to know she would try her hardest to restore it wouldn't she? Especially since both loves of her life are stuck there. The only thing that is mildly interesting is the Gunn/Vampire thing. I didn't like what they did to Spike. They made him selfish and only interested in the material things. The Spike in BtVS season 7 would have been concentrating on how to get everything right again. Not acting like some Hugh Hefner at the Playboy mansion while the whole city suffers. And the whole Nina thing is annoying to me. Just kill her off or return her to normal already. And WTF is wrong wit her eyes? The Illyria intro was corny too. And the way they draw Wesley makes him look like the BtVS season 3 Wesley when he was a watcher. The only reason I'm gonna keep buying this is so I can see what happens but in my opinion, they are ruining everything.

S
Senior Watcher
i agree. ill still buy it, but i might continue to be disappointed.
E
Evilyn
I wondered the same thing about Nina's eyes.

Kean

Professional Bangel
Sineya
I'm really not feeling this continuation. The whole LA sucked into hell thing sounds too unbelievable to me. Wouldn't the rest of the world notice? Realistically speaking, if Buffy were to know she would try her hardest to restore it wouldn't she? Especially since both loves of her life are stuck there. The only thing that is mildly interesting is the Gunn/Vampire thing. I didn't like what they did to Spike. They made him selfish and only interested in the material things. The Spike in BtVS season 7 would have been concentrating on how to get everything right again. Not acting like some Hugh Hefner at the Playboy mansion while the whole city suffers. And the whole Nina thing is annoying to me. Just kill her off or return her to normal already. And WTF is wrong wit her eyes? The Illyria intro was corny too. And the way they draw Wesley makes him look like the BtVS season 3 Wesley when he was a watcher. The only reason I'm gonna keep buying this is so I can see what happens but in my opinion, they are ruining everything.
Well because Buffy season 8 is set during Angel season 5 we don't really know if she tried to help or not, I'm hoping that Dark Night clears it up but I agree that if it turns out the Buffy did nothing it would be EXTREMELy out of character.

nerd4hire

Certified Uncloneable
I can actually live with this "Where's Buffy" thing, because whenever I run into problems like that I just fanwank it, and say some force has patchworked an altenate universe into this one. Like at the end of Season 4 where Angel kills Connor, or in BTVS The Wish, or the whole Dawn as the key thing.

Kean
Kean
Yeah I'll create my own version too if I don't like the one they give us
Top Bottom