• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Discussion of Angel: After the Fall #6 - Released 4/02/08 (IDW)

Clem Rocks

Scooby
Looks like it's my job to make the discussion threads now, huh? XD

Anyway, definatly not the best issue so far, but there were some good bits

Like Spike realising what he said about the dawn lol
Finding out that it seems like it is the fact that they're in hell has brought Fred back, and that going to hell had healing powers for vampires o_O I guess WR&H planned that to heal their own vamps and knew it wouldn't help Angel
And i loved how Lorne's story ended "...Lorne got his groove back, right After the Fall"

goldenboy

Scooby
Connor musing about his three dads was a little odd. Gotta read that bit again. I liked the poetical Lorne story, that was fun. John Byrne's art...it's kind of crude looking, but funny and expressive.

And it does seem like Lynch has a pretty good handle on Spike's 'tude, his quips, etc.

Clem Rocks

Scooby
The three dad's bit was confusing, it kinda seemed to me that they all kept switching order...
and shouldn't it be five dad's in the order of Angel, Holtz, Angel again, fake human guy and Angel yet again?

And i can't believe i'm saying this but...i want Franco back! D=

G
goldenboy
I can't believe you're saying that either
A

Allycat

I loved this issue. Brian hits all the character's voices just right and the different art in the different parts of the story help clearly set the stories apart.

Betta George's story is obviously the least interesting, but it's not really a story so much as a framing device, so that's okay.

Spike ... and Fred!!! Whoa!! I guess the hell-thing is doing something to Frelleria. The story itself is a bit short, but I guess we'll get learn more about what happens in Spike: After the Fall. I guess this story is sort of a back-door pilot.

I think Connor's story was the most interesting one, because it adds some new depth to the character. I'm not sure about how the bit with Connor's parents works though. Apparently, he didn't get all his memories back when Wesley broke that ball. Anyway, first time he says the order of fathers is Holtz, Angel, Mr Reilly. When his memories, even from when he was just a baby, return, he changes the order to Angel, Holtz, Mr Reilly.

Lorne's story is pretty good too... not the most interesting, but certainly the most fun. Like goldenboy said, John Byrne's style is not the most polished or realistic, but it does fit the story pretty well.

All in all yet another hit for A:AtF in my (comic)-book!

Tranquillity

That'll put marzipan in your pie plate bingo
I loved it.
The Spike story was great - really like the drawing and his voice is really well written. Loved how they captured Spikes "I'm gonna do what I like, no, dammit, I'm gonna help these people..." thing.
Best quote: "Screw you Dawn!...hope that's not taken out of context"

The Connor Story was my least favourite only because they made it clear that he got his memories back in "Origin" and now suddenly he's getting them back all over again? Maybe he got memory clarification - like more memories and more details. Quite like his dialogue though, very Connor-like. not so keen on the art but looking forward to seeing where this goes next.
Best quote: "Aw come on. Fantastic. My first time was with my surrogate mother!"

The Lorne story was nice, I like the art, but for me it did take a couple of readings to get the poetic rythym right and 'get' the story. It acctuallu does a really neat job of explaining how Lorne went from being totally depressed to being the lord of Silverlake really well. Loved the taxi with a face, how he hit the high note (i always wondered why he didn't use tat particular skill more often). Silverlake remindes me of Caritas - a peaceful patch in a usually violent world.
best quote: The casualties had been many, the violence so thick but they made a slice of heaven in H-E-double hockey sticks!

I'm really loving After the Fall! and how cool was it to get it two weeks early!

Clem Rocks

Scooby
I've been thinking, assuming that it wasn't far into the battle that LA got sent to hell, was the battle really all that epic? Spike killed a few demons and was helping Fred/Illyria, Angel tamed a dragon and then broke his back and legs, and Gunn got sired.

Not really the big apocalypse that Lyndsey made it out to be in series 5, is it?

thegifting

I think in 3D
I've been thinking, assuming that it wasn't far into the battle that LA got sent to hell, was the battle really all that epic? Spike killed a few demons and was helping Fred/Illyria, Angel tamed a dragon and then broke his back and legs, and Gunn got sired.

Not really the big apocalypse that Lyndsey made it out to be in series 5, is it?
That's the thing, isn't it?

Puzzles miss pieces, and you should remember that.

A

Allycat

A little clarification about the Connor-memories thing. Lynch explained it on whedonesque; Connor did get his memories back in Origin, but when he got to Hell he remembered everything... like things you and I wouldn't because we were babies. After Origin, Connor knew Angel and Cordy and everybody else as the people who took him in after Holtz had died. After he got to Hell he even remembered everything that happened before; Angel and Cordelia caring, and being like real parents to him, something he never experienced. So, he already knew he had slept with Cordelia, but only now did he realise how incestuous that was.

Tranquillity
Tranquillity
I was wondering, thanks!

CharmedSlayer85

Potential
Again I don't know about the rest of you guys but I'm like really not feeling the Angel series so far. It's not as interesting as Buffy, it doesn't flow as well as Buffy and it's like overall it's just blah. I mean of course I'm going to continue to read it cause it's Angel and I'll support Joss, however I'm not finding myself looking forward to the next issue like I am with Buffy and the Anita Blake comic series

Clem Rocks

Scooby
Again I don't know about the rest of you guys but I'm like really not feeling the Angel series so far. It's not as interesting as Buffy, it doesn't flow as well as Buffy and it's like overall it's just blah. I mean of course I'm going to continue to read it cause it's Angel and I'll support Joss, however I'm not finding myself looking forward to the next issue like I am with Buffy and the Anita Blake comic series
I still think After the Fall is better than Buffy season 8 =]

CharmedSlayer85

Potential
I still think After the Fall is better than Buffy season 8 =]
Why's that? I personally aren't that interested in After the Fall. I feel it's lacking in something I dont' know what, but it doesn't remind me of the tv series, but Season Eight of Buffy does.

Clem Rocks

Scooby
Why's that? I personally aren't that interested in After the Fall. I feel it's lacking in something I dont' know what, but it doesn't remind me of the tv series, but Season Eight of Buffy does.
That's the point, Buffy is just like the show was, Angel's always been better than Buffy imo

A

Allycat

I'm with Clem Rocks here. Although they're very close, I think that in terms of story, AAtF is a little bit better than Bs8. Art not so much AAtF's strength, but on story they win. The main thing about Angel is that there's a close group of friends who are together trying to make the world a better place, whereas in Buffy, all the friendships apart from Bander are very disconnected.

nerd4hire

Certified Uncloneable
I'm with Clem Rocks here. Although they're very close, I think that in terms of story, AAtF is a little bit better than Bs8. Art not so much AAtF's strength, but on story they win. The main thing about Angel is that there's a close group of friends who are together trying to make the world a better place, whereas in Buffy, all the friendships apart from Bander are very disconnected.
You have so missed the point of Season 8. It's about the loneliness of responsibility, and how you can never be so alone as when you are in a large group, and how power can drive a wedge between close relationships.

Perhaps that's the attraction of A:ATF. One doesn't have to worry about getting the point, because it doesn't appear to have one. :whistle:

A

Allycat

I got that that was the point of Season 8. However, I think that although it's an interesting theme to work with, it is also a difficult one, because such disconnectedness makes it harder to tell a good, interesting, and entertaining story. Moreover there are a couple other smaller grievances I have with Season 8, that make me choose After the Fall, which I won't go into because that would make this thread go even more O/T than it already has. As for whether or not A:AtF has a point, I'm pretty sure it does, but it's not fully out there yet. Perhaps that's the attraction of Season 8. You know from the very start of the series, what the theme of the stories is, you don't have to analyse each story carefully to gradually get a grasp of what is really happening and what is meant by it ;).

nerd4hire

Certified Uncloneable
So it sounds like you're saying Season 8 is shallow, where A:ATF is deep.

Other than "gimme a break", I'm not sure I know how to respond.

A
Allycat
I'm think I'm going to wait one issue with this. A:AtF is looking to be 14 issues long, so what better moment to make up a score than the halfway mark.

thegifting

I think in 3D
Angel's always been better than Buffy imo
Seriously, it's not even close.
I might could understand why girls wouldn't feel that way, having some young heroine that's into their shit and everything (still retarded), but other than that it's like comparing Buffy's preschool wiffleball to Angel's game 7 of the World Series.

Truly, I cannot comprehend how anybody could ever think anything Buffy is better than anything Angel. Oat bars and children that need to shut the hell up with exhaustinngly dull wit VS adults with adult emotions using adult words and adult logic to get somewhere in life? LOL @ Buffy fanatics.

A

Allycat

Does anybody else feel like this thread needs a spin-off in the form of which is better A:AtF or Bs8? And maybe we could go ahead and spin off that one to: Angel vs Buffy...

nerd4hire
nerd4hire
Go for it. Might be fun
Top Bottom