• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Discussion of Angel: After the Fall #7 - Released 5/06/08 (IDW)

A

Allycat

First and final warning: this post has spoilers in it for this issue.

I thought the issue was entertaining, but not quite as good as the previous one. The Wesley story was the best. Not only was it the most intriguing, but the art by Nick Runge is awesome. Even though I like Urru, I think IDW's decision to have Nick Runge is a regular artist is very wise.

The sequel to the Connor-story I must say I didn't see coming. I was pretty clueless about who the mystery woman was going to be. Although it is nice to see Kate turned out okay in the end, I'm not sure she adds much to the story.

I'm glad the issue of of Slayers in Hell is finally addressed. Although I wonder how come Gunn's team is strong enough to beat the Slayers.

Anyway, I think the overall plot is very intriguing. All the characters add to it in their own unique ways.

thegifting

I think in 3D
Kate telling Connor the speech that Angel gave her in S2's "Epiphany" was pretty excellent, as it's immediatly where I went to when I saw the kind of live she was living.

Slayers being there is interesting, but they seem... pointless. I hope we'll meet one, get some character development and heavy involvement, but between Gunn's blockheaded henchman and George's talking way too much for somebody in mortal peril, I was left scratching my head.

Wesley's story, though = Utterly sensational.

goldenboy

Scooby
For some reason, I'd always imagined Kate moving far away from LA, getting out of the life, becoming a 'civilian'. Seems like she'd been a rogue demon hunter or something in Lynch's mind. She seemed almost too together to be Kate. Interesting interaction with Connor though.

I do prefer Runge to Urru. Some of the panels were a little iffy, but pretty good (I'm too damn picky).

Yeah, I do hope the Slayers come into play in some significant way.

A
Allycat
Never thought Kate would stay in LA either, but perhaps she's only recently returned, like a couple of months before the fall.

goldenboy

Scooby
I'm not saying she'd still be a suicidal head case or anything. It was just surprising to see her so gung ho with the demon slaughtering. Glad she's there.

Vampmogs2

Btvs Junkie
I'm not saying she'd still be a suicidal head case or anything. It was just surprising to see her so gung ho with the demon slaughtering. Glad she's there.
Well we last saw in her in season 2 and given her last scene it was evident IMO she was going to be able to get her life back on track. It's not technically season six, so that's a lot of time for her to get it all together and make some decisions about her life. I don't think she was ever the kind of person who could go back to being a civilian and not want to help people. Angel said she couldn't deal with the demon world, and he was right at the time, because she couldn't. But she never hid from it or tried to pretend it didn't exist, she went to cases involving the supernatural on purpose. She was never going to turn her back on it, now she just seems far healthier and more accepting of it.

A
Allycat
Good points.

white avenger

white avenger
For some reason, I'd always imagined Kate moving far away from LA, getting out of the life, becoming a 'civilian'. Seems like she'd been a rogue demon hunter or something in Lynch's mind. She seemed almost too together to be Kate. Interesting interaction with Connor though.

(I haven't read the episode yet, so this might be answered there, in which case just ignore this)

If Kate still pursued her obsession with "unusual" happenings such as vampire/demon attacks, she would surely stay in LA, simply because she knew that they were there, she was familiar with the territory, and she had connections there, both with the local authorities and with civilians who might give her information or help her find some sort of part time employment (security consultant, bodyguard, etc.) Plus, Angel was there, and I always felt some sort of connection between the two of them. Maybe not romance, or even friendship, but maybe s a sense of camaraderie that two warriors fighting in the same battle might feel.

Old Master 3.0

Watchers Council
Watcher
Black Thorn
Slayers being there is interesting, but they seem... pointless.

I wouldn't think pointless.
With an apocalypse resulting in a major city literally becoming a hell on earth, it would be unreasonable to think that the Slayers would never become involved.

Evilyn

Symphony of Destruction
Did anyone else notice the car Kate was driving had a Decepticon emblem, of sorts, on it? Just thought that was a bit nifty that they threw that in there. And yay for slayers in hell, even though they seem to be vampire fodder for Gunn and his gang.

VisionGuy

Oh Plerr
I got this issue today. The addition of Kate seemed.... blah. I like her character but it seemed like they pulled her out of nowhere. If she was hunting demons this whole time, wouldn't she have run into Angel at one point or the other during these last four seasons? Although seeing as how this is all what happened before issue one and with her not being around in the safehouse with the others, she probably dies.

The Wesley story was really cool. The art was excellent too. George the fish is getting on my nerves. I feel like he adds nothing to the freaking story but some commentary. He needs to just die already. And why the hell is he on the cover? The inclusion of slayers was cool too I guess.

white avenger

white avenger
Something that's beginning to get me is, just how many either killed and/or former stars/guests/recurring characters are they going to bring back? I'm expecting to see Drusilla, Darla, Doyle, Lindsey, Gunn's sister (the one he staked), Gunn's gang, all of or most of the demons and vampires killed over the 5 year TV run, and God knows who else showing up. All of these returning characters just keep taking time away from the central story, and if, as we heard originally (at least I THINK I heard it somewhere), "Angel-After The Fall" is going to have a limited run, they need to get on with the business at hand. Speaking of which, are we expecting Angel and Company to eventually return Lr is it going to remain "Hell A" from now on?

Tranquillity

That'll put marzipan in your pie plate bingo
Look, i enjoyed it but agree that the inclusion of Kate was a bit underwhelming. The speculation of Cordy, Buffy, Dawn etc... was much more interesting than a character we haven't seen for such a long time. But then, in Kate's favour is the fact that only she could share the "if nothing we do matters then all that matters is what we do..." with Connor and they are such great, iconic Angel lines that i can't complain about their inclusion. Wesley's story was good and intriguing. I don't mind George, i LOVE the suggestion of slayer activity and am looking forward to seeing how that plays out. But most of all I can't wait to get back to the main story!!! Yay for two Angel comics next month!

day walker

Townie
i have just read it and i have not read the first 6 but i liked the wesly story the rest was blah.... and what in the world is with the flooting fish!!!!!

art is good took me a wile to figure out wesly was talking to some thing that looked like Fred the fig leaf made me laugh a bit

i wanted more thou it felt like it was short even for a comic and i have read comics since 1994

T

T.I.P

Some stuff i REALLY want to know.
I have only read issues 4 and 7,
and in these two issues anyway, Gunn is my favorite.

Can anyone tell me, WHO turned Gunn, and why?
Is Gunn annoyed that he was made into a vampire?
In issue 7, the vamp, the fish and talk of slayers(the 1st and last pages) whats that about?

A

Allycat

1) Nobody knows who turned Gunn yet... although we might still find out in a later issue.
2) Good essay-topic... way too difficult to get into here. Plus, we don't know the full story yet.
3) Again, we don't know the full story, but I'm assuming Gunn has been training his vampire crew by having them fight Slayers.

andrewcutter

Buffy/Angel fan for life
personal i like half of this comic, i thought the wesley was really kool and good art, however i was very unimpressed by the Kate Connor story. their story just didnt have anything happen.... she saves him, they talk a little, she leaves. however like i said the Wesley story saves this issue for me and i did enjoy it.

Top Bottom