• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Discussion of Angel: Lorne Released 24/03/2010 (IDW)

Frketson

The Late Goodbye
Sumary of the special one-shot is as below:

The world is in peril (again!), and only the most unlikely member of Angel's entourage is able to save the day.

A special book-length tribute to the late Andy Hallett and his character, Lorne, presented by writer-artist John Byrne.
http://www.tfaw.com/Comics/New-Releases/Profile/Angel-Special-Lorne-%28One-Shot%29___358664

Apparently the lorne special has been well received so far, i wont be able to pick up a copy so has anyone here read it yet?

B
Buffyverse Fan
just finished it

Buffyverse Fan

* The 28th *
Sineya
I just finished the book.

The art was a bit too "Bazooka Joe" for the tone of Angel and especially an issue commemorating the real life death of an actor.

The dialog was a little stilted for the Whedonverse. It read more like superhero-talk than the stylistic Whedon-esque-speak we've all grown accustomed to...

The story was perfect for giving Lorne a break and amazing send-off. The execution of the story was mediocre compared to Whedon or Lynch.

The real highlight here was Mark Lutz' several page essay & photo-journal of his life with Andy. Mark's few pages were easily the most satisfaction I've gotten from any of these books (Dark Horse or IDW). It was just a beautiful tribute to his close friend.

The story concept and mostly Mark's epilogue make this a must-have.

Buffyverse Fan

* The 28th *
Sineya
I must have this.

Thanks for the review, i'm just hoping it will pop up on amazon soon so i can get my hands on it.
Try to resist jumping to the back, that's easily the best part, but it's even better after reading Lorne's send-off.

As a casual fan I had no idea that Mark (Groosalug) and Andy (Lorne) were so close in real life. Sure, Groo & Lorne had great chemistry, but who knew that Mark & Andy bought apartments across from each other and traveled the world together?

They apparently even took each other to their respective out-of-state family gatherings.

Anya2012

Floppy, hoppy, bunnies!
I am very picky when it comes to Buffy/Angel comic art and I have to say this art is awful. Angel and Lorne are not drawn as good as previous artists.

It could have been done a lot better IMO.

The Ferg
The Ferg
Pretty much exactly.

The Ferg

Scooby
So all I really need to say is that you should NOT read the whole book in one sitting. If you do, you will see it as extremely fast-paced. Of course, I've found this trait in many different comic books, but my point is: it's gonna feel like Lorne's special one-shot is really pointless, and unworthy of Andy Hallett's death if you do read it fast.

However, when I think about I kinda start to dig the whole Music of the Spheres story. I'm kind of on the edge still about the conclusion to the novel.

Buffyverse Fan

* The 28th *
Sineya
So all I really need to say is that you should NOT read the whole book in one sitting. If you do, you will see it as extremely fast-paced. Of course, I've found this trait in many different comic books, but my point is: it's gonna feel like Lorne's special one-shot is really pointless, and unworthy of Andy Hallett's death if you do read it fast.

However, when I think about I kinda start to dig the whole Music of the Spheres story. I'm kind of on the edge still about the conclusion to the novel.
Conclusion of Byrne's story or the book?

I like the story, but Byrne writes like a comic writer, not like a Whedonesque author like Espenson or eve Lynch. I think the concept's great, and the end is clever, but their dialog isn't written in their voices.

Mark Lutz was by far the highlight of the book for me, and I'm a little surprised that Whedon wasn't involved since he's known Andy for years, created Lorne, and promoted Andy from his personal assistant to an actor.

The Ferg

Scooby
Conclusion of Byrne's story or the book?

I like the story, but Byrne writes like a comic writer, not like a Whedonesque author like Espenson or eve Lynch. I think the concept's great, and the end is clever, but their dialog isn't written in their voices.

Mark Lutz was by far the highlight of the book for me, and I'm a little surprised that Whedon wasn't involved since he's known Andy for years, created Lorne, and promoted Andy from his personal assistant to an actor.
Conclusion of Music of the Spheres.

sharona1981

Lorne lover :)
I cried at the end-literally bawled like a little baby. I loved Andy dearly, as a fan, and Lorne's send-off just moved me completely. True, the story and dialogue were a little stilted, but I enjoyed it, especially Mark Lutz's beautiful and touching tribute to his late friend. I never actually realized how close they really were-though there was no doubt as to what an entertaining double act they were. Overall, for Lorne fans, i'd recommend it. A fitting tribute to a beloved character and actor.

Buffy Summers

Yataro
Staff member
Sineya
Mark's essay on Andy was definitely the highlight, and so so worth the read. The storyline itself...it just was too close to real life. I'd rather they had chosen something else or Lorne other than an illness.

Top Bottom