• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Discussion of Angel & Spike #9 - Released 2/26/20 (Boom! Studios)

Buffy Summers

Yataro
Staff member
Sineya
After the events of Hellmouth, Spike is here to stay, and Angel will just have to deal with it. That is, if he ever comes back from the Hellmouth. This whole saving the world from evil can't be that hard, can it? Spike isn't used to playing the good guy, but he's pretty sure he and the team can handle a few lawyers.

Source: Boom! Studios

Priceless

Scooby
I enjoyed this more than I expected to. I really like Kate in this and I think she might work, if she's going to be a permanent addition to the gang.

Spike and Angel are really good together. They are very similar and I hope that doesn't work against their partnership, but so far so good. I like Spike eves dropping on the others, and how he wants to be part of the gang while also warning them off, it was nicely written.

The story is interesting, but the last Angel arc started out really well then just died and became inconsequential. I hope they can keep the writing standards up and keep it fast paced. Liked the mention of 'dancing', which is a classic reference to the show.

The thing I didn't like, which I never like, is Lilith. She was better here, but still she holds the story back. The characters have no autonomy as she's the puppet master every time. I still don't understand her purpose.

Overall 8/10, good issue.

DeadlyDuo

Scooby
I'm still not completely sold on this. I don't like how they're drawing Spike or Fred (she looks too much like Faith). The dynamic between Angel and Spike seems like they're relying on the audience to have seen the shows for the Whirlwind flashbacks (which of course doesn't make sense since they've completely removed the Angelus/Dru backstory. Wouldn't surprise me if they make Spangel ex-lovers since that seems like a "woke" thing to do). However without the talents of JM and DB to breathe life into the characters, it still feels kind of flat and it's not even like watching the two characters from the show in comic form.

It is better than the Buffy comics so I will give the next issue a go but I don't see me continuing much longer.

GreyWalker1958

Potential
Good:

Angel and Spike friction
Kate
The sudden appearance of the AI business card

Bad:

I fecking hate Spike wearing a shorter coat. Its just as off as the "Constantine: The Hellblazer" jacket circa 2015-2016.

Meh:

Lilith= still awaiting what her deal is otherwise I still see this as Eve mk 2 minus the annoying girl angle

Top Bottom