• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Discussion of Buffy 10.01 "New Rules, Part 1" - Released 3/19/14 (Dark Horse)

Kean

Professional Bangel
Sineya
I really really liked.

Buffy makes her peace with Spike and is super happy with their buddy banter relationship. Spike seems rather happy with that too. Dare I say that it is almost nice to read their interactions without all the other "why won't you love me" stuff.

The dialogue is brilliant. THERE WAS SNL JOKES. I think Faith gets the best line.

The gang working together again is so SO great to see and the reunion at the end is perfect.

More of this, please.

Did anyone else get a real Walking Dead vibe from it?

---------- Post added at 06:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:24 PM ----------

Could we maybe get a spoiler warning on the thread? I think the spoiler tags will stop any real conversation before it starts. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi, I'm new to the board but thought I'd add my twopence...

I've been really excited waiting for this today, couldn't get home quick enough to read it. It didn't disappoint. I managed (out loud) two expletives, a chuckle and half a happy tear.

I thought it was a much better season opener than the previous two.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk

Black Eye Guy
Black Eye Guy
Welcome!

Black Eye Guy

Taking over the World!
Black Thorn
^ No need for spoilers.

New season. New rules. The age-old battle of Slayer vs. vampire is the focus of Buffy's life once again"”it's downright nostalgic! But with all the toying with magic she's done lately, this girl should know it's time for another game change . . . Shouldn't she?
Dark Horse

I dont want to get too exicted, but this was everything I was hoping for from the Angel and Faith team taking over BtVS. the dialogue was on point, the art was great, the characters just seemed better.

I love that Xander isn't an outsider in any kind of extreme way, I loved Buffy talking about Willow - the core gang just being the core gang and actually liking each other!

I did get an almost TWD vibe from it as well, there was something really cool about the action scenes that, in my opinion, have never worked in the comics. This one felt bigger and more action packed, while not wasting time.

Also are Spike and Buffy FINALLY over?!? Oh how the heavens will a sing, It really came across that they've moved on, which I hope for everyone's sake is true. I'd much rather see Spike and Buffy be mature and be characters, then stuck in a go no where relationship and stunted characters, maybe someone is actually listening to what fans want finally!!

The Giles/Buffy reunion was great, I found it a little emotional (I was smiling like a crazy person while reading it)

I echo Keans "more of this please"

Well, judging by the fact that the first spot Spike dashed to after the fight was the liquor store - where he suggested they look for him after the sun went down cause he is going to be drunk there, and judging by the issue 7 cover ( Spike with Buffy-photo and a bottle whilst Xander watching disgustedly), Spike's being at peace and in a 'good place' after being 'over Buffy' is kinda dubious. Coupled with Andrews 'broken heart' diatribe (and btw -I feel like the implied/unrequited Spandrew should get more spotlight finally this season!) I think Spike is still pine-y, subtext-y. Buffy, on other hand, feels comfortable, at least for now; she got her doormat back without him asking for more. ;)

Black Eye Guy

Taking over the World!
Black Thorn
Well, judging by the fact that the first spot Spike dashed to after the fight was the liquor store - where he suggested they look for him after the sun went down cause he is going to be drunk there, and judging by the issue 7 cover ( Spike with Buffy-photo and a bottle whilst Xander watching disgustedly), Spike's being at peace and in a 'good place' after being 'over Buffy' is kinda dubious. Coupled with Andrews 'broken heart' diatribe (and btw -I feel like the implied/unrequited Spandrew should get more spotlight finally this season!) I think Spike is still pine-y, subtext-y. Buffy, on other hand, feels comfortable, at least for now; she got her doormat back without him asking for more. ;)
I dont think him running off to the liquor store was about downing his troubles so much as it was him, having a drink after a long day, and not being able to go anywhere else.

I also didn't get a doormat vibe from him, and I'm the first to call him out on that, but Buffys own words made it seem like he was the one that was doing really good and him being good allowed her to be good.

I also dont put too much stock in the covers, there is often a disconnect between the covers and the actual storyline.

I dont think him running off to the liquor store was about downing his troubles
Well, we'll see. I hope we can agree at least that Spike ripping off Andrew's clothes ( for Molotov cocktails heh) and leaving him bare-chested was as subtext-y as it gets. LOL Same as Dawn almost blurting it out after Andrew expressed his admiration of Billy-Devon , then retreating her steps carefully ( yes I mean her Slayer remark). In that context Andrew's remark about Spike's 'broken heart' sounds even more ambivalent. I seriously think Spandrew is the most overlooked 'ship' in the comics.

Black Eye Guy
Black Eye Guy
lol, yes very subtexty!

thetopher

Member of the Church Of Faith
Sineya
This was gooood!

This has a really nice feel, all the interactions, the fight stuff, the quips. Great group dynamic, my god even Andrew. :)

Spike and Buffy...I like this friend this that's happened, them being all mature. I sure hope it sticks. Plus Spike gets some very good lines and feels like a natural part of the group.

Oh, and Giles and Faith showing up at the end...I'm pretty sure I squealed. :)

I agree that Faith got the best lines, and Giles and Buffy hugging...:)

Echoing the 'more please'.
Season 10 hits the ground running! I'm now going back for a re-read.

---------- Post added at 11:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:14 PM ----------

Also other stuff that I like:

Xander not being on the outs with the group. But he and Dawn are in something of an awkward place. It's a nice balance.
Ghost Anya is...interesting. I'll have to wait to see where that goes.
Everyone gets a good line or two.
Lots of action and some clever ideas.
Last of the Zompires
The new vamps being day-walkers and much tougher.
Everyone realising it was Giles right away.

Stuff I didn't like:

Uh, nothing much...Billy maybe. :rolleyes:

Kean

Professional Bangel
Sineya
Loved that they had the funny Billy line though, giving a nod to fandom just simply not entertainging this "male slayer" shite.

Also, Giles giving the most gloriously snooty and indignant rant on Latin that could be straight out of a Library scene in S3. (Although, I don't buy Willow making that comment about dead languages, but it tee'd up Giles' rant perfectly.)

---------- Post added at 11:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:29 PM ----------

On a totally superficial level, Isaacs drew Andrew really hot, right? Like, exponentially hotter than we've ever seen him? For a second I though he was Riley.

thetopher
thetopher
I also thought Andrew was way too pretty. I figured it was Riley.
PassionBecoming
PassionBecoming
I thought it was Riley, too!!

Blaze

Let it Burn
Black Thorn
I can't get my hands on a copy yet, but I read the summary. I can't judge too objectively if I haven't read it, but I LOVED what I saw so far.

Hopefully when I read the full thing it's just as good as I think it is.

nmcil12

Potential
An excellent introductory issue for this new season – Like it very much – a few things that I did not care for, but those are mostly all just personal general dislikes dealing with Buffy Speak speech patterns and not particularly significant to the issue. This goes along with my dislike of, what appears to me, as a very different body type for Buffy from the series.
The text certainly connected with the covers – especially the RI cover and the school setting. Glad to that the digital copy will feature the Steve Morris covers as I love his work. I Don’t particularly care for the cover by RI.
Anyone have info on the additional variant – my local retailer will order it for me but for a lot more $$$$.
This was not only a good introduction to the theme of having to learn new ways of getting on with life and the transformation of vampires, it was also a good set-up for the Dracula return. I wonder if his appearance will bring back the plot device from BS8 and the fact the Dracula's sword was also a magical artifact created at the same time, perhaps even by the Guardians, who created the Slayer Scythe.
I also enjoyed the panel with that red coat figure, what I take to be, a fun visual for the theme of the conflict and state of the new vampires vs the old life forms like Spike. RI used the silhouette for several panels and then we see the red coat holding the beer which I interpreted as a reference to the conflict and war theme represented by Samuel Adams. Of course, I could be totally wrong and it all means something else - fits the conflict theme with Angel over at Magic Town as well.
On the Giles reunion, it's only logical that Buffy already knows he has been resurrected - what with so much emphasis being used for Buffy and Spike having talked and sorted out issues. Both Willow's and Buffy's initial expressions of seeing Giles could be interpreted as just surprise and joy for seeing Giles.
Not sure how this is going to play out in the next issues, but one story element that I did not care for, but it's only because you we had all last season with the same theme - that is Buffy vision of herself with her I can't save people and be the Slayer Victor. But then, Buffy also has to learn how to deal with all these changes and new rules. And I don't mind at all Faith coming in when she does, but it was a jarring contrast to Buffy for me.
As a huge Spike fan, I loved how Spike was introduced which made me happy but I know he will have less page space as the season continues. I am also looking forward to seeing how Spike and Dawn interact this season.
If I were Spike, I would be feeling a lot of worry over how vulnerable and weak he is when contrasted to these powerful new vampires. But like Xander, he keeps on trying to fight and I suspect will also have to learn how to be much more clever and skillful with how he fights and lives in this new rules world.
Guess all is forgiven on the Andrew builds and steals Buffy from last season. Andrew being a part of the team right from the start is another way to bring in the eventual Buffy-Angel dealing with the Twilight Times as be part of this season.

brinkster130
brinkster130
I'm looking forward to Spike & Dawn's interaction too.

thetopher

Sineya
An excellent introductory issue for this new season "“ Like it very much "“ a few things that I did not care for, but those are mostly all just personal general dislikes dealing with Buffy Speak speech patterns and not particularly significant to the issue. This goes along with my dislike of, what appears to me, as a very different body type for Buffy from the series.
The text certainly connected with the covers "“ especially the RI cover and the school setting. Glad to that the digital copy will feature the Steve Morris covers as I love his work. I Don't particularly care for the cover by RI.
Anyone have info on the additional variant "“ my local retailer will order it for me but for a lot more $$$$.
This was not only a good introduction to the theme of having to learn new ways of getting on with life and the transformation of vampires, it was also a good set-up for the Dracula return. I wonder if his appearance will bring back the plot device from BS8 and the fact the Dracula's sword was also a magical artifact created at the same time, perhaps even by the Guardians, who created the Slayer Scythe.
I also enjoyed the panel with that red coat figure, what I take to be, a fun visual for the theme of the conflict and state of the new vampires vs the old life forms like Spike. RI used the silhouette for several panels and then we see the red coat holding the beer which I interpreted as a reference to the conflict and war theme represented by Samuel Adams. Of course, I could be totally wrong and it all means something else - fits the conflict theme with Angel over at Magic Town as well.
On the Giles reunion, it's only logical that Buffy already knows he has been resurrected - what with so much emphasis being used for Buffy and Spike having talked and sorted out issues. Both Willow's and Buffy's initial expressions of seeing Giles could be interpreted as just surprise and joy for seeing Giles.
Not sure how this is going to play out in the next issues, but one story element that I did not care for, but it's only because you we had all last season with the same theme - that is Buffy vision of herself with her I can't save people and be the Slayer Victor. But then, Buffy also has to learn how to deal with all these changes and new rules. And I don't mind at all Faith coming in when she does, but it was a jarring contrast to Buffy for me.
As a huge Spike fan, I loved how Spike was introduced which made me happy but I know he will have less page space as the season continues. I am also looking forward to seeing how Spike and Dawn interact this season.
If I were Spike, I would be feeling a lot of worry over how vulnerable and weak he is when contrasted to these powerful new vampires. But like Xander, he keeps on trying to fight and I suspect will also have to learn how to be much more clever and skillful with how he fights and lives in this new rules world.
Guess all is forgiven on the Andrew builds and steals Buffy from last season. Andrew being a part of the team right from the start is another way to bring in the eventual Buffy-Angel dealing with the Twilight Times as be part of this season.
No way that Willow/Giles knew about Giles 'resurrection'- they looked surprised, astonished and tearful. He just briefly explained to them how it happened before the battle continued.
I think Buffy's narration was pretty much spot on, part character stuff (Willow, Spike, Xander/Dawn), part-exposition, part wittiness and quips- succinct and to the point. That's Gage's writing for you.

I didn't remember about Dracula's sword though, that could be something. Magical artefacts are pretty rare in Buffy, so I hope they do do a connection-thing with the Scythe.

Spike has fought against Illyria, an Old One- I don't think he's gonna be particularly bothered about some vamps being slightly tougher than him, especially with him having all that extra fighting skill.
The vampires being day-walkers might phase him for a while (him not ever being able to see a sunrise), but I never really saw Spike as being all brooding over his vampire lot in life, that was more Angel's thing. Spike always reveled in his power- the only thing he was really tormented over was Buffy. (Which is seems to have gotten over. Yey.)

Black Eye Guy

Taking over the World!
Black Thorn
I'm really glad that Buffy and Willow didn't know Giles was alive. I'd have been pissed if Spike had told Buffy, it would have been typical Spike, wanting to get the glory of good news. So I'm really glad he didn't and that Giles got to do it, even Angel didn't call Buffy to say "look what I did for you", that whole conversation should be between Buffy and Giles, so I'm more then happy how that turned out.

I think the fact that buffy didn't really have a problem slaying that first new vampire, shows they aren't invincible, it's a similar scenario to the uber vamps, the first ones were just a surprise, once you get over that and realise how much pressure to apply to actually slay them, they aren't as much of a threat.

I forgot to say in my initial post, what do we think the Anya thing is?

I mean fairly stupid of Xander to engage Anya, it could be the First for all he knows. I dont think it's just going to be a figment of his imagination though, there's gonna be something more to it right?

thetopher

Sineya
Yeah, my intial reaction was 'Anya's the First right?'

And I to am glad that Spike didn't tell Buffy anything, probably because he was too caught up in the whole-Dawn drama and the then Zompire epidemic.
Also, maybe the writers learned their lesson from his swanning in to tell Buffy about 'Twilight', as in- don't do it 'cause it annoys the fans.
Plus I think they wanted to show the reader those important intial reactions of their first meeting.

I am looking forward to Buffy's reaction to all this. What will she say to lil' Giles, or to Faith, who was key to getting all the 'Giles bits' together?

I hope they keep up the action stuff for a little bit and keep the character stuff as a nice balance. It seems to work very well this way.

Black Eye Guy

Taking over the World!
Black Thorn
On a totally superficial level, Isaacs drew Andrew really hot, right? Like, exponentially hotter than we've ever seen him? For a second I though he was Riley.
I saw a pic of tom recently, and looks like he beefed up a bit, could have just been the picture though. But if he has, maybe thats related to Andrew suddenly having a comic six pack

Hi all. :)

I really enjoyed this issue. It had strong writing and was just a great start to the season.

The Anya thing: It seems we all, naturally, thought "The First!"... But who knows?

I'm intrugued to see where we go from here, what (if anything) is actually different about Dawn, and what exactly will the "new rules" mean, apart from New Vamps? What will Xander's and Willow's roles be (Xander was largely absent last season & Willow had few appearances in the main title :( )? Ooh, and young Giles. :D

Maybe Spike will have some interesting stuff going on in this core book. ;) I look forward to more.

:D Could we please start a SEASON 10 FORUM? I tried to do it myself but I'm guessing I'm not authorized to or something.

Much appreciated.

Thanks.
From England,
The Bloody. :cool:

nmcil12

Potential
No way that Willow/Giles knew about Giles 'resurrection'- they looked surprised, astonished and tearful. He just briefly explained to them how it happened before the battle continued.
I think Buffy's narration was pretty much spot on, part character stuff (Willow, Spike, Xander/Dawn), part-exposition, part wittiness and quips- succinct and to the point. That's Gage's writing for you.

I didn't remember about Dracula's sword though, that could be something. Magical artefacts are pretty rare in Buffy, so I hope they do do a connection-thing with the Scythe.

Spike has fought against Illyria, an Old One- I don't think he's gonna be particularly bothered about some vamps being slightly tougher than him, especially with him having all that extra fighting skill.
The vampires being day-walkers might phase him for a while (him not ever being able to see a sunrise), but I never really saw Spike as being all brooding over his vampire lot in life, that was more Angel's thing. Spike always reveled in his power- the only thing he was really tormented over was Buffy. (Which is seems to have gotten over. Yey.)
It does not seems logical to me that Spike would not have mentioned his time over with Angel and Faith and that Giles had been resurrected - particularly if we are to accept that he and Buffy had this all important sorting out conversation. We will see.

Regarding Spike and the new more powerful vamps - great points about his history and his bravery - but it has to be a big advantage that these new vamps can't exist in the sunlight and are no longer confined to the night and dark places or have to be protected in an enclosed environment. I do think that the story element of adapting and using technology and being more clever with how he, and other like Xander, will be part of this season.

brinkster130

Riley's BFF
Staff member
Sineya
I finally got around to reading this....Good first issue. Quick fun dialogue, the scoobies are working together and seem to be getting along, no moping Spike, a sweet reunion with Giles, Faith and Anya return, the art is looking good....

I'm assuming Anya is a figment of Xander's imagination. He looked like a mess and seemed a bit out of it, although no one seemed particularly worried about him. I'm drawing a complete blank....what was the secret Xander and Buffy were keeping from Dawn last season?

Andrew with a six pack? And Spike ripping him shirt? Lol.

Kean
Kean
I'm 98% sure the secret was Xander trying to kill Angel after Giles was killed.
Black Thorn
I've decided I can't wait for the TBP's this year so I'll be collecting each issue as it becomes available. I'm so glad I did! This is right up there as one of my favourite issues. It's everything I was hoping for from the new season. The Scoobies are together again! Not just the core 4 but it felt like a proper group again for the first time in a long time. I laughed out loud a couple of times. The writing seemed very sharp and the characters just felt right. The reunion between Giles and Buffy was just amazing. It was really moving, something that comics aren't always capable of doing.

I liked what they did with Spike as well. He's helping because he wants to be there and everyone seems to aaccept him. It's a great start. I'm not so sure it's the end of Spuffy as some on here are predicting though. I thought the looks between suggested there might be more than just friendship there. We'll see how that pans out.

Anyway a massive thumbs up from me. Looking forward to the next one already.

Sineya
Loved that they had the funny Billy line though, giving a nod to fandom just simply not entertainging this "male slayer" shite.
It was a great way of addressing that extremely weak storyline. "Billy" was like the "Beer Bad" of S8, a poor attempt at a public service announcement.

Also, Giles giving the most gloriously snooty and indignant rant on Latin that could be straight out of a Library scene in S3. (Although, I don't buy Willow making that comment about dead languages, but it tee'd up Giles' rant perfectly.)
It was great! I do wish they squeezed in something about Giles thriving on the new magic-rules though. At his peak, he was extremely competent at magic & combat for a normal human--in this issue, he's zapping vampires on par with some of the more powerful superbeings in the series...

I'm really glad that Buffy and Willow didn't know Giles was alive. I'd have been pissed if Spike had told Buffy, it would have been typical Spike, wanting to get the glory of good news. So I'm really glad he didn't and that Giles got to do it, even Angel didn't call Buffy to say "look what I did for you", that whole conversation should be between Buffy and Giles, so I'm more then happy how that turned out.
It made sense for them to want Giles to make the reveal himself.

I forgot to say in my initial post, what do we think the Anya thing is?

I mean fairly stupid of Xander to engage Anya, it could be the First for all he knows. I dont think it's just going to be a figment of his imagination though, there's gonna be something more to it right?
I'm sure it is something bigger. The First never did get a proper resolution. They destroyed its army, but the First itself wasn't phased. Don't know about the legitimacy of the purported original draft of "Chosen," but it wrapped up the First a lot better than what we got.

I'm quite the Anya fan, but I think it's really sad that Angel's very strong lieutenants are relegated to barely recurring, when they're willing to bring Anya back into Buffy's relatively crowded roster.

Overall, a wowingly good issue! Quibbles aside, my only gripe is randomly billing this as an hours/days long battle, where Buffy rarely was in even the biggest fights for more than a handful of minutes...

Top Bottom