• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Discussion of Buffy 10.01 "New Rules, Part 1" - Released 3/19/14 (Dark Horse)

Buffy Summers

Yataro
Staff member
Sineya
Wow, I guess I'm the only person who didn't like this one lol

First off, since when does Spike reference Star Wars?

I thought the writing/dialogue was bad, until the point when the Angel & Faith folks show up - those characters were (still) done well. I think it's really odd that no one would tell the people in the US that Giles has been resurrected. I mean, I feel like GILES would call Buffy lol.

I like the idea of Ghost!Anya, but her voice didn't sound like her to me.

Also, I feel like I need to reread the end of last season to remember who the Willow-lookalike vampire is?

Excited that the zompires are going away and that we will get to see Dracula again - and that we're in for a lot of Buffy vs Vampires this season.

Buffy Season 10 #1 Review

“Sometimes it’s good to get back to the basics.” I’ve been told this season is too heavy on meta and so far the first line of the very first issue proves that right. S10 is trying to get that familiar feeling of the show back after two seasons packed with:

a) out there storylines and situations (S8: space frak. S9: Fake pregnancy/robot),

b) promoting liberal ideas instead of offering solid storylines (S8: Buffy/Satsu. S9: Abortion),

c) silly and ludicrous new inventions (S8: Seed of Wonder. S9: Billy the Vampire Slayer),

d) character assassinations (S8: poor Angel. S9: almost every slayer hating on Buffy because she broke the Seed of Wonder – Joss just can’t help but revert to his old lazy and unimaginative sacrificing characterizations of other characters in order to woobify Buffy.)

I’m a bit fuzzy on the details of S9, but I don’t remember this redheaded vampire helping Buffy slay. Their dynamic reminds me of early S5 Spuffy. So, her name is Vick and Buffy doesn’t want to get attached to her because she knows she’s going to stake her eventually – after they finish off all the zompires. This does feel a bit “ooky,” not only do they know her, but she’s helping them slaying.

I gotta admit this new Scooby slayage business is so awesome and refreshing after seasons of watching Buffy slay alone. Everyone has a cool and suitable job. Though so far no Xander. Loving Dawn as wheel girl!

“Poor Willow. She was lost when magic went away.” S9’s most wasted opportunity was Willow. I would have loved to be shown Willow adjusting to life without magic and then realizing she doesn’t really need it in order to make a useful and accomplished woman of herself. I just can’t really relate to Willow anymore. I miss when I did back when Willow wasn’t all about magic.

“I got our father figure killed.” So much wrong with this line I don’t even know where to begin! FATHER FIGURE!! It’s okay for the writers and fans to be referring to Giles by that, but NOT the Scoobies!

I’m liking Spike as one of the Scoobies. It’s long overdue to be honest. This could have happened in S7 if the writers weren’t so adamant on separating characters into pairs: Buffy/Spike, Xander/Anya, Willow/Kennedy.

Can’t get enough of Andrew’s crush on Spike. Also, joining the sighs of awe at the coolness that is Spike. Cute.

And finally, my boy shows up! Or at least, his voice. Dawn calls Xander to warn him about the zompires – he asks her if she’s okay, which really isn’t the time as wheel woman is driving for her life. What I remember from S9, Xander betrayed his friends to save Dawn’s life – as she gradually started to disappear due to the lack of magic and along with her the memories of her – and after they have saved her life, Dawn didn’t really come back the way she was. Emotionally she’s back to the beginning: S5 Ep 1. Which kinda doesn’t make sense, shouldn’t she be having the feelings and desires of a 14 year old? Seems it was only done to make her not love Xander anymore – which appears to be the only side effect as she acts like a true 19/20 year old. The writers could have just had her break up with Xander because of his betrayal.

Poor Xander looks extremely sad with his stubble of pain. Talking to Ghost Anya about his relationship troubles. Anya is still blaming Xander for everything that went wrong in her life: losing her vengeance demon powers, being left at the altar, and then killed. I’ll give her the first two, but being KILLED? Anya chose to fight in Chosen free willingly, that’s not Xander’s fault.

I really hate Xander’s “Being normal doesn’t mean being helpless” and Dawn’s “We’re all super in our own way. Or so the super people keep telling me.” This is too preachy for my taste. Xander and Dawn can prove their worth with their actions as shown in the issue. No need to hammer that point.

I personally don’t mind Billy pretending to be a slayer. I find it so refreshing for a boy to be so influenced by a strong woman and wanting to be just like her.

LOL at Andrew admiring Billy choosing the life he wanted and to hell with convention, Dawn mistaking what he said for coming out, but he was talking about being a male Slayer.

Okay, my ooky feelings about Vick? Gone. Kill her, Buffy!

I love how Dawn and Andrew are dragging Xander inside to safety and away from the fight – while I love supporto-accepting his limits-okay with being in the sidelines Xander, I just can’t help but being more attracted to “stand up to danger, even when his hands had no weapons” Xander.

“I’ve got body image issues.” Andrew, dude, that’s one hell of a chest! You’re hot. Embrace it.

Team B for the win! So is Spike and Xander’s protectiveness of Dawn. So is Dawn standing up to herself!

Faith to the rescue! And I can’t describe how happy I am to see Leah, she’s one of S8’s original characters that I wish got more development and panel time. In fact, I’d love to see more of Leah, Satsu and Rowena in future issues.

“Kennedy, this is great! And also awkward!” It’s been a long time since Willow’s break up with Kennedy, unless they haven’t talked since then. I don’t remember S9 well.

I did NOT know the Scoobies haven’t met Kid Giles yet. This woman needs to reread S9 and A&F S9.

The Buffy/Giles hug! The Buffy/Giles hug! Aw!

The letters section mentions Xander brining up Jesse! That was one of the highlights of S9. Jesse should have been a major plot point to develop Xander’s character in S1. Shame on you, Joss.

So, final thoughts. Great issue! And an exciting beginning to S10. I can’t wait to read #2.

Sineya
@sosa lola Vicky appeared only at the end of S9, as a new vamp under the New Rules.

Yeah, Dawn being reseted seems to have happened only to break up her and Xander.

Black Thorn
“I got our father figure killed.” So much wrong with this line I don’t even know where to begin! FATHER FIGURE!! It’s okay for the writers and fans to be referring to Giles by that, but NOT the Scoobies!
Professor Walsh discussed the father figure problem with Giles to hurt him in S4. I don't think this one is too meta.

And finally, my boy shows up! Or at least, his voice. Dawn calls Xander to warn him about the zompires – he asks her if she’s okay, which really isn’t the time as wheel woman is driving for her life. What I remember from S9, Xander betrayed his friends to save Dawn’s life – as she gradually started to disappear due to the lack of magic and along with her the memories of her – and after they have saved her life, Dawn didn’t really come back the way she was. Emotionally she’s back to the beginning: S5 Ep 1. Which kinda doesn’t make sense, shouldn’t she be having the feelings and desires of a 14 year old? Seems it was only done to make her not love Xander anymore – which appears to be the only side effect as she acts like a true 19/20 year old. The writers could have just had her break up with Xander because of his betrayal.
Considering that you have already been spoiled, I don't hide this:

She kinda does have the feelings and desires of a 14 year old, but she is trying very hard to hide it/act like an adult.

Poor Xander looks extremely sad with his stubble of pain. Talking to Ghost Anya about his relationship troubles. Anya is still blaming Xander for everything that went wrong in her life: losing her vengeance demon powers, being left at the altar, and then killed. I’ll give her the first two, but being KILLED? Anya chose to fight in Chosen free willingly, that’s not Xander’s fault.
Part of the reason she stayed to fight was her being inspired by Xander. So I think the blaming was in character.

I really hate Xander’s “Being normal doesn’t mean being helpless” and Dawn’s “We’re all super in our own way. Or so the super people keep telling me.” This is too preachy for my taste. Xander and Dawn can prove their worth with their actions as shown in the issue. No need to hammer that point.
Xander's line is preachy, but Dawn's line is very Dawn and very amusing. I like it. I just love S10 Dawn. Gage writes her the best.

I think they really should have a main/recurring character like Vicki. With Spike being tamed and Dracula's usual absence, there's no blunt rude guy in the team dynamics. Something feels missing.

It's also sad, if you read A&F S10 Issue 1 back to back with this one.

thetopher

Member of the Church Of Faith
Sineya
Professor Walsh discussed the father figure problem with Giles to hurt him in S4. I don't think this one is too meta.
I just consider it jarring because its Buffy's thoughts. She just wouldn't think in those terms 'father figure'. She'd say 'Giles' or 'our much-loved and together grown-up friend' or something. Father figure is too...on-th-nose/clinical.

Part of the reason she stayed to fight was her being inspired by Xander. So I think the blaming was in character.
Absolutely its in character for Anya to blame anybody but herself. Agreed.
But I don't even think that becoming a vengeance demon was Xander's fault- it was all Anya.

Yeah, that's a bit of a gut-punch. And also very in-character.

She kinda does have the feelings and desires of a 14 year old, but she is trying very hard to hide it/act like an adult.
Good to know.

But I don't even think that becoming a vengeance demon was Xander's fault- it was all Anya.
Anya becoming a vengeance demon again was her fault. However, her losing her powers in S3 was Xander's fault because of his cheating on Cordelia which resulted to the wish that caused her to become human.

Sineya
I honestly don't see it much. Her behavior has been very mature, the interactions with Buffy and Willow didn't seem like a teenager talking to adults, even her talk with Xander was something that I can't imagine a 14-year-old Dawn having with anyone, ever. Plus, she is getting very well with her college friends.

What we did see is that her love for Xander was over; we should have her having a crush for some boy band all over again, for instance - although the life experiences she lived weren't forgotten, her emotions would be the same as in the past. :D

Black Thorn
I honestly don't see it much. Her behavior has been very mature, the interactions with Buffy and Willow didn't seem like a teenager talking to adults, even her talk with Xander was something that I can't imagine a 14-year-old Dawn having with anyone, ever. Plus, she is getting very well with her college friends.

What we did see is that her love for Xander was over; we should have her having a crush for some boy band all over again, for instance - although the life experiences she lived weren't forgotten, her emotions would be the same as in the past. :D
She has all memories of the 20-some Dawn, therefore the grown-up dialogues, but her feelings did get rebooted. Here are some pictures.

Emotional Dawn:
upload_2016-2-2_2-18-7.png
Dramatic Dawn:
upload_2016-2-2_2-18-35.png
Childish Dawn amused by her own joke just like "Real Me":
upload_2016-2-2_2-19-38.png

Sineya
She has all memories of the 20-some Dawn, therefore the grown-up dialogues, but her feelings did get rebooted. Here are some pictures.

Emotional Dawn:
View attachment 6537
Dramatic Dawn:
View attachment 6538
Childish Dawn amused by her own joke just like "Real Me":
View attachment 6539
Sorry, any of them convinced me much. All can be argued as being part of her personality.

In the first two she is emotional and upset as anyone would be, no matter the age. She knew that what she said to Xander wasn't true, and with the demon, she was pressured (by herself) to find Xander - who she couldn't free from Dracula's trail, and the sushi delivery could come from an older Dawn, why not? The joke was a joke... I would be more convinced if there was another get out get out get out type of behavior from her part... it would be something coming genuinely from her feelings.

Unfortunately, I believe that her being reseted was just for breaking up her and Xander.

Last edited:

Buffy Summers

Yataro
Staff member
Sineya
More posts that disappeared in the server move:

vellavu said:
sosa lola said: ↑

Considering that you have already been spoiled, I don't hide this:

Xander's line is preachy, but Dawn's line is very Dawn and very amusing. I like it. I just love S10 Dawn. Gage writes her the best.

I think they really should have a main/recurring character like Vicki. With Spike being tamed and Dracula's usual absence, there's no blunt rude guy in the team dynamics. Something feels missing.

thetopher said:
vellavu said: ↑

I just consider it jarring because its Buffy's thoughts. She just wouldn't think in those terms 'father figure'. She'd say 'Giles' or 'our much-loved and together grown-up friend' or something. Father figure is too...on-th-nose/clinical.

Absolutely its in character for Anya to blame anybody but herself. Agreed.

Yeah, that's a bit of a gut-punch. And also very in-character.
Though in Something Blue Buffy basically tells Giles he's her real father.

Black Thorn
I don't like Spike calling Andrew "Wells" and Xander "Harris". He used to call Xander's first name when he's bad, and Andrew's first name after he's double crossed by Andrew.

Gage should go back and watch the show.

Buffy Summers

Yataro
Staff member
Sineya
Doesn't mean he can't call him Harris too...I call people both things in real life. I think in the comics it's harder to get the actor's voice, so anything they can do to get the "Spike feeling" works for me. I don't consider that against canon.

Sineya
It's a Spike thing - he calls Xander Xander, and sometimes "Harris", like when he and Buffy entered his room and Buffy asked "what died in here", and Spike answered "Harris dignity and self-respect". Pure spikeness.

Top Bottom