• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Discussion of Buffy 10.08 "Return to Sunnydale, Part I" - Released 10/22/14 (Dark Horse)

thetopher

Member of the Church Of Faith
Sineya
No, quite the contray, really good and smart writing that has all to do with the vampire in question..
Okay, so Spike is famed as a legendary 'dark warrior' and a Big Bad, and he's also somewhat less well known (as in utterly unknown to all but a few) as a struggling poet.
And when somebody at a Hellmouth party says to Spike in vamp-face 'William the Bloody!' he naturally assumes that they're talking about his poetry?

This 'joke' just makes Spike look like a complete idiot....more of a complete idiot.:p

I don't the strike rate was a high, no. Lets put it this way, If the comics had come first then I wouldn't have become a fan.

Sineya
This 'joke' just makes Spike look like a complete idiot....more of a complete idiot.
It was a j-o-k-e. And it was a good one, IMO. If jokes made characters look idiots, Xander would be the most idiot character on the entire show.

I don't the strike rate was a high, no.
I'm not sure I can agree with that. The format is different: around 43 minutes of video versus around 22 pages of a comic, or almost 16 hours of video versus about 700 pages of comic ( in case of season 9 ) - the writing has to reflect that. There's less place for fluff so naturally the stupidity will take place more often.

Imo the comics have been on the whole but a pale shadow of the TV show. The idiocy rate in the storyline has been incredibly high in the comics, well for me anyway. :)

Sineya
Imo the comics have been on the whole but a pale shadow of the TV show.
I love the comics - all of them, BtVS, After the Fall, Angel & Faith - but we can't compare comics with the show. BtVS and Angel were master pieces - why would all of us being still watching and discussing them so many years after they ended, with such a passion?

And the comics reach sooo fewer people. Imagine in a country where few people speak English, and among those who do, few read comics.

Sineya
If they're going to call them canon: season 8, 9 and 10... people are going to compare them to the seasons 1-7 that came before, whatever the format. That's just the reality of adding to the show's canon. If they don't want the pressure of that comparison, there are plenty of Buffy comics that have done their own thing outside the show's official canon.

Frankly, I've always hated the "well, it's a comic" excuse. I hear it all the time to brush off any criticism and I always wonder how it's not just completely insulting to comic book writers. I see no reason why story, dialogue and characters can't be up to par. I get that it won't be the same as TV, but the format is no excuse for any poor writing, inconsistencies, characterization etc. that may occur. Then it's just a cop out. I've read comics that I personally believe are just as good as some scripted television, so when I have issues with the Buffy comics (and for what it's worth, I loved and hated season 8 kind of 50/50), it's not the fact that they are comics in itself...it's what the writers have chosen to do.

Basically: A bad workman blames his tools.

Basically: A bad workman blames his tools.
Bingo. There's no reason whatsoever they can't be good comic books. And they're not. Instead of bringing Buffy to comics, they took bad comics tropes and brought them to Buffy. Then Whedon himself more or less blamed the medium, or at least the intended audience. "Comic fans need blah-blah-blah." Comic fans didn't care for them much either. While they could never be the same as a show, they should be good on their own.

I don't compare them to the show(s) myself, I'd just wish they'd respect them and the audience. If they wanted to do a free-for-all, they shouldn't claim they're canon and then make back-handed jabs at the readers for expecting competence.

Sineya
Frankly, I've always hated the "well, it's a comic" excuse. I hear it all the time to brush off any criticism and I always wonder how it's not just completely insulting to comic book writers.
I don't like it, either, I read comics, but I'll tell you, I don't know any (female, my age) friends who do, I don't have anyone to talk about comics and if I say I read, they don't say anything - but probably think I'm a fool. Prejudice! 
I don't compare them to the show(s) myself, I'd just wish they'd respect them and the audience.
Saying that comics are canon, but if a movie happens, all will be left out is kind of disrespect to those who read and spend money buying it.

At the same time, I understand that the money involved in a movie is huge, and a TV show has an audience much bigger then the comics. People who remember BtVS on TV watching the movie and seeing (or hearing about) Xander and Dawn together, or about Twilight, would be very confused...

"At the same time, I understand that the money involved in a movie is huge, and a TV show has an audience much bigger then the comics. People who remember BtVS on TV watching the movie and seeing (or hearing about) Xander and Dawn together, or about Twilight, would be very confused..."

Now there's an understatement. :D

Buffy Summers

Yataro
Staff member
Sineya
And once again, Xander puts the blame on someone else, anyone else, but himself. And now he's trying to go all "I don't trust him" with Giles. Please.

This issue was okay until the "demon POV" panels and the "let's show how the bad guy is really misunderstood" thing. Ugh.

The ending got better, with us seeing what Andrew is really up to, but I could have done without the Spike fan-pandering thing.

Just finished this issue and I have to say I'm glad Buffy talked about how she felt post-resurrection and I really wanted to love that scene and understand where she's coming from on the Spike soul/soulless thing but I'm just left as confused as I've always been when it comes to that relationship.

She says she can't blame him because he's a totally different person now but then when she talks about how she had to hit the lowest of lows she feels bad about hurting his feelings? Ok so they're not the same person when Spike does something bad or hurtful but when Buffy does, then they are? I just can't... I'll never understand that relationship I guess and it annoys me so much because I was starting to enjoy Spike a bit more in the comics and start being more open about them being together in the comics but now I'm back to being just incredibly annoyed by it all.

Top Bottom