• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Discussion of Buffy 10.13 "Love Dares You, Part III" - Released 3/18/15 (Dark Horse)

Buffy Summers

Yataro
Staff member
Sineya
Writer: Christos Gage and Nicholas Brendon
Penciller: Megan Levens

Some suspiciously supernatural murders have Spike, Xander, Willow, and Giles in a conundrum. They have to talk to Buffy, but there’s something about the killer they’re pretty sure she’s not going to like . . . Meanwhile, Andrew gets some relationship advice from Buffy!

Source: Wikipedia

Taake

Maybe it was taquitos. Maybe he lived for taquitos
Staff member
Black Thorn
Haha, Buffy giving relationship advice. Yeah, this should be good. ;)

Spanky

Zexy Mercenary
Black Thorn
You know.. just after having sex with your current 'boyfriend' one should not really allude to him as being similar or dissimilar to a previous 'boyfriend.' That's kinda rude. So if that was her first thing upon waking, was she thinking of her previous boyfriend while having sex with the current one?

gite63

Gone
Sineya
They do love torture shirtless Spike (show and comics). I'm not complaining.

Finally Andrew is dealing with his sexuality. And what Buffy says to him I believe she meant for herself, too.

About the dream, I think anybody has guessed right till now.

And... Buffy is happy with Spike. Buffy wants to be with Spike. Deal with it, people. It's quite embarrassing how some of you try to find ways to ruin it... 
You know.. just after having sex with your current 'boyfriend' one should not really allude to him as being similar or dissimilar to a previous 'boyfriend.' That's kinda rude. So if that was her first thing upon waking, was she thinking of her previous boyfriend while having sex with the current one?
That was about Buffy and her traumas, not about "the love of her life Angel"... and totally in character. Very different to have just had sex with the "love of her life Angel", and fantasize having sex with Spike... 
Yeah... Sorry Mr. Pole, I really shouldn't have nominated the "previous boyfriend"... nothing to do with Angel x Spike in your post. :rolleyes:

Spanky
Spanky
It's quite embarrassing how some people project Spike vs Angel onto everything they read as well.

Spanky

Zexy Mercenary
Black Thorn
Yeah... Sorry, I really shouldn't have nominated the "previous boyfriend"... nothing to do with Angel x Spike in your post. :rolleyes:
No worries. Apology accepted and lets move on. 
thetopher said:
Yeah, could've been Riley. Y'know, the other boyfriend.
It could have been her second-grade crush but it still wouldn't make it any more tactful.

thetopher
thetopher
Yeah, could've been Riley. Y'know, the other boyfriend.

thetopher

Member of the Church Of Faith
Sineya
What I was saying was that you weren't nessesarily making a 'pro-Angel' comment with the ex-boyfriend comment. :)
It was kind of a tactless thing for Buffy to say anyway but really, she's said plenty of unbelievably stupid things already this season.

And... Buffy is happy with Spike. Buffy wants to be with Spike. Deal with it, people. It's quite embarrassing how some of you try to find ways to ruin it...
And 1 issue in and the obnoxious Spuffy crowing has begun.
Because as we see in this issue Buffy has absolutely no doubts about embarking on this relationship with Spike and it will in no way lead to angst and possible heartache...Y'know what, I think you might be reading a different comic to me. :rolleyes:

Spanky
Spanky
Or even an Anti-Spike!!

NothingVentured

Potential
Not to mention that her 'traumas' were done away with in S4 with Riley. Remember all those OMGISMYBOYFRIENDEVIL?? scenes the morning after in 4-7 (8)? Of course you don't.

I wouldn't call it embarrassing. Buffy is being stupidly written to set up for some angst and has been since the 'you weren't so bad' nonsense. While it's convenient, it's a valid criticism. Personally, I think they'll have to repeat the 'i just won't let myself be happy' garbage 14.2 more times before people will think that's what happened in her previous relationships.

EVIL UU

Scooby
So...yeah, it was alright.

The issue was centered around the themes of trust in a relationship basically. Willow breaks up with Aluwyn and that's OK - her reasons are sound and she was very much an adult about it, the reptile not so much but whatever, it's been long enough, see ya snake, time for a new love interest anyway. Bring it on! One problem. Aluwyn was introduced in "Anywhere But Here" in January 2008 - it's March 2015. This character has been a part of the franchise for longer than the actual show was on air, OK? Aluwyn's in three seasons of Buffy the Vampire Slayer and guess what, she never gets to interact with Buffy! Not even a single line of dialog between these two! No, they've never met either! WHAT THE F#$%?! This is still Buffy's comic, right? Speaking of Buffy-

You want my honest opinion? Of course you do. Buffy's and Spike's relationship is doomed and not because of some demon or a curse or some other occult shit, it's doomed because Spike does not trust Buffy. Spike went full Captain Forehead in this issue lying and withholding information from Buffy for selfish reasons. That's it, Spike is Angel - f#$% me sideways! Spike doesn't trust Willow and Giles either. Giles I get, no problems here, but Willow? What's going on here, is Spike's IDW series not considered canon anymore? Make up your mind you assholes!

Andrew's stuff. Look at the calendar - the way his issues are presented here feels clumsy and dated, especially compared to how BtVS dealt with similar issues in the past and Buffy projecting her crap on Andrew makes the whole thing even more cringeworthy. And by the way, you have out and proud lesbians in this comic - why not use them instead? I don't get it. Oh, and as if you needed any more reasons to hate Andrew, yes, he's a curlbro in the making. Sigh.

Yeah, that's about it. I think that the dialog was vastly better than in the previous issue ( one complain - Spike's morning ablutions line was way too Giles-y - eww! ) and I really enjoyed the humor - so...you evil?, then again, coddle away! and Xander's shockingly throughout knowledge of gay dating apps. Dude. All in all, it's an OK issue, not particularly horrible, not particularly great, just OK. Read it. 
Buffy is happy with Spike. Buffy wants to be with Spike. Deal with it, people.
Well, personally I don't care what Buffy wants or how she feels - I want her story to remain interesting and entertaining. So far I'm enjoying season 10 Spike/Buffy - it's funny, kinda cute, I admit but remember, this is Buffyverse - things get better so they can get worse.

gite63

Gone
Sineya
Spike does not trust Buffy. Spike went full Captain Forehead in this issue lying and withholding information from Buffy for selfish reasons.
I don't think it is a trust issue. Spike has a nightmare soon after having sex with Buffy. She wakes up and asks, joking, if he is evil. What is he supposed to say? "Slept with you, had an awful dream where I'm killing people again". Considering Buffy's history, it wouldn't be advisable. I do think he shouldn't have sent Buffy away, though. But he learned the lesson. 
Spike doesn't trust Willow and Giles either. Giles I get, no problems here, but Willow? What's going on here, is Spike's IDW series not considered canon anymore? Make up your mind you assholes!
Yes, Willow he should trust due to the IDW series. But in Season 8, Angel/Twilight, as soon as Spike arrives, says to Buffy that "Spike cannot be trusted". The same Spike that Angel thanked for taking care of his son Connor? The same Spike from Season Five and After the Fall?

Spanky

Zexy Mercenary
Black Thorn
Did anyone else feel like them sending Buffy and Xander away was an homage to season 7 when the scoobies sent Spike away so that they could deal with Buffy?

gite63

Gone
Sineya
I admit but remember, this is Buffyverse - things get better so they can get worse.
Yes, I never forget that. I'm just enjoying the moment! 
But in Season 8, Angel/Twilight, as soon as Spike arrives, says to Buffy that "Spike cannot be trusted".The same Spike that Angel thanked for taking care of his son Connor? The same Spike from Season Five and After the Fall?
OK, I'm quoting myself because I need to say that the Angel from Season Five and After the Fall - or the Angel we all know for years - never would he be Twilight and do what he did, IMO. So, for me, Season 8 is a AU, like that Wicked Willow series... as an AU, I even can enjoy it.

Last edited:

EVIL UU

Scooby
What is he supposed to say? "Slept with you, had an awful dream where I'm killing people again"
Yeah, exactly this. Look, if they're in a relationship then Spike's problems are Buffy's problems and vice versa. Buffy is not a child, she does not need to be protected - why are all this wankers ( Angel, Giles, Andrew, even Anaheed! ) so hell-bent on "protecting" her? It's so condescending - I'm actually mad because I thought Spike was better than this.

NothingVentured

Potential
It's not like she's ever dropped everything, backed her friends off and put herself in danger to help Spike when he was mindlessly killing people before.

The entire comicverse is AU, frankly.

Why do vampires have covers, anyway? They have no bodyheat.

gite63

Gone
Sineya
Buffy is not a child, she does not need to be protected - why are all this wankers ( Angel, Giles, Andrew, even Anaheed! ) so hell-bent on "protecting" her? It's so condescending
I agree, she's the SLAYER, and she doesn't need to be protected by anyone. I just think the timing (when they woke up) was wrong because of Buffy's "mornings after trauma". But yeah, he was wrong to send her away, to "make her busy"; he could have talked to her rigth after he talked to Xander. When those people will learn not to do things behind backs thinking that they are helping, protecting etc? 
For the same reason they get erection, I reckon.
On Spike Omnibus there was a story with a demon who poisoned Angel - or Spike, I don't remember, and the vampire said that it didn't work on him because he didn't have blood circulation. In Damage, Spike is drugged by the Slayer; on Angel, Angelus was shot by a tranquilizer gun. How is it even possible???

Spanky

Zexy Mercenary
Black Thorn
On Spike Omnibus there was a story with a demon who poisoned Angel - or Spike, I don't remember, and the vampire said that it didn't work on him because he didn't have blood circulation. In Damage, Spike is drugged by the Slayer; on Angel, Angelus was shot by a tranquilizer gun. How is it even possible???
Same reason when the they showed Spike drunk a few times... then in season 5 of Angel they remark vampires cant get drunk. Because they never really cared about stuff like that so we shouldn't either.

NothingVentured

Potential
They don't say they can't get drunk, just that they have a high constitution. The point still stands. You're just supposed to go with it.

The covers thing only stands out because I would think it would be one of the pluses of being a vamp, the not needing covers.

white avenger

white avenger
The covers thing only stands out because I would think it would be one of the pluses of being a vamp, the not needing covers.
Probably habit, as much as anything else, held over from their human host, just like eating regular food when they can't assimilate it as nourishment, most likely can't digest it, and possibly can barely taste it, if at all. Plus, the covers could prove useful if someone forgot and didn't close the curtains before going to bed.

Top Bottom