• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Discussion of Buffy 10.19 "Freaky Giles Day" - Released 9/23/15 (Dark Horse)

Black Thorn
Hank Summers - what an asshole! That's about the coldest thing he could do. Ask to meet up with both of his daughters and then tell one she's not welcome at his wedding in the same breath as he invites the other. I'm glad Dawn had a go at him. Disgusting behaviour.

I'm not convinced his reasoning is that great either. Sure it taps into Buffy's fears but has anyone crunched the numbers? What did Jonathan say at the prom? Lowest mortality rate in Buffy's year. Tara, Anya and Jenny dead who knew Buffy, so how many demon related deaths are people who don't know Buffy?

The rest of the issue was OK. It was good to have a bit of old Giles back. Shame it's over so quickly and no one seemed that happy to have him back to normal. Taking out a demon with a guitar was awesome.

Sineya
Tara, Anya and Jenny dead who knew Buffy, so how many demon related deaths are people who don't know Buffy?
And how much we can blame Buffy for Jenny's and Anya's deaths? Jenny was there for a purpose, which she didn't tell anyone; I blame her uncle more - with his obssession for vengenace, he put her niece in danger (and he himself got killed); Anya could have left, she stayed because she wanted to fight.

Can I just say again how much I loath the 'lil Giles' idea. To me it has overtones of the whole 'a persons useless when they're old' bit, which society today likes to push with a vengeance.
I think that the closing scene of issue 19 disproves this very idea.
But Giles went back to look like a kid; so there is a little of "old people don't fit in this comic book", I think...

I'm not convinced his reasoning is that great either. Sure it taps into Buffy's fears but has anyone crunched the numbers?
I don't think we can compare the reality of living on hellmouth to the current situation in San Francisco. I think that right now ( or even since the destruction of Sunnydale ) being near Buffy does not improve your safety, quite the opposite in my opinion.

About those fears. You know, I'm kinda worried about Buffy, more so than about any other character. She blames herself for the deaths of those close to her and probably rightfully in some cases. Usually feelings of guilt lead to acknowledging of one's mistakes and to change, in Buffy's case however, they also play on her complexes and fuel the I'm a nightmare! I need to push people away so they don't get hurt!/Waah! I'm so alone, why does everybody leave me! (ᵕ̣̣̣̣̣̣﹏ᵕ̣̣̣̣̣̣) 'Cause I'm a nightmare! ( ;*△*; ) cycle. And that's tremendously unhealthy.

Buffy started this season with a quasi-prayer: Please, if there's anything cosmic out there that doesn't want to kill us...I haven't asked for much and I've lost a lot. Don't let any more people I love die because of me. One more death and she might just snap.

But Giles went back to look like a kid; so there is a little of "old people don't fit in this comic book", I think...
Yeah, but he only looks like a kid, right? It's still Giles.

Last edited:
But a younger version. He's not 1oo per cent 'original' Giles I thought.

Anyhoo, he still looks like a kid and many people respond to him as such.

Hate it.

It's not a younger version. Giles kept all of his memories. He's still a guy in his 50s. He still talks like Giles and he still acts like Giles. Obviously his hormones are wacky and his body is minuscule but it's not just a teenage body that makes you a teenager.

The Scoobies? Xander jokes about it but Xander jokes about *everything*. Willow gets a bit maternal but that's just Willow being Willow. The rest don't act any different. Yeah, I mean, the people who don't know him and oh my god who cares?

I don't. It made Giles interesting again and brought him closer to Buffy, Willow and Xander than he's been in years, possibly ever. All in all it's a pretty decent reboot in my opinion.

thetopher

Member of the Church Of Faith
Sineya
I think somebody just wants a young, hunky half-naked Giles so we combat the 'gender-bias' in these Buffy comics.
The only way to do that is with more gratuious male nudity. :rolleyes:

Sineya
Yeah, but he only looks like a kid, right? It's still Giles.
In a world (real or fictional) where what is more important is how you look like...

I don't. It made Giles interesting again and brought him closer to Buffy, Willow and Xander than he's been in years, possibly ever. All in all it's a pretty decent reboot in my opinion.
Yeah, I agree, and I like kid Giles; but will he be back in his former old body again? And at the age he was, not a younger Giles as they did for this issue? I hope so.

Last edited:
The idea that Giles' magical abilities get weaker in an adult body is lame and I understand why it can be interpreted as ageism, the problem is, Giles' age didn't really change and it's not like his magical abilities were what made him useful as a member of the gang so losing them doesn't exactly make him useless, right?

I think somebody just wants a young, hunky half-naked Giles so we combat the 'gender-bias' in these Buffy comics. The only way to do that is with more gratuious male nudity.
I think that season 10 could generally use more nudity. Compared to season 8 or the stuff from the classic comics...

...the scenes with Buffy and Spike were pretty lacklustre so far. I think that what this relationship needs is a more explicit sex scene just so we can see that there's some actual desire and passion between those characters.

And at the age he was, not a younger Giles as they did for this issue.
Why? Are you afraid that Buffy would want to do younger Giles?

I mean, I know what this looks like and I know what Spike said but come on, I don't think that's within the realm of possibility, especially not after an issue celebrating Buffy's and Rupert's surrogate daughter/father figure relationship.

Last edited:
thetopher
thetopher
Good point about utter lack of passion (that was Spuffy's ONLY strength imo) but what's Brazzers?
Sineya
The idea that Giles' magical abilities get weaker in an adult body is lame
It's about that whole thing “I couldn't develop my magical abilities when I was a kid, now I have a new opportunity to do it” - but if he ages magically, he loses it. Not a good explanation, though...

I think that season 10 could generally use more nudity. Compared to season 8 or the stuff from the classic comics...

...the scenes with Buffy and Spike were pretty lacklustre so far. I think that what this relationship needs is a more explicit sex scene just so we can see that there's some actual desire and passion between those characters.
Well, a couple of readers have already pleaded for it in the letter section of the comics... I WANT IT! Until now, their sex only smashed Xander's dolls, that's inexcusable!

Why? Are you afraid that Buffy would want to do younger Giles?
I mean, I know what this looks like and I know what Spike said but come on, I don't think that's within the realm of possibility, especially not after an issue celebrating Buffy's and Rupert's surrogate daughter/father figure relationship.
Even if he was 20-something, that would never happen - this relationship (as well many others) only happens in the creative and wishful minds of some fans.

No, it's about what we were talking about: get rid of old people, or people who look like old, at least... I rather have Giles as a kid, or him back to his actual age (and body), not a 30-something (or less) version of him.

Black Thorn
I don't think we can compare the reality of living on hellmouth to the current situation in San Francisco. I think that right now ( or even since the destruction of Sunnydale ) being near Buffy does not improve your safety, quite the opposite in my opinion.
You certainly run the risk of getting caught in the crossfire if you're around Buffy. Some demons do target her and the gang specifically and if you're there at the time then you have a problem. However there are a whole lot of other demons out there going about their business killing people away from Buffy. Like the school where Dru is recruiting at the moment. What chance did those kids have before Faith showed up? So if it were me I think the first person on my guest list for a wedding in a world infested by demons would be Buffy.

One more death and she might just snap.
Yeah Buffy has been through so much and shoulders the blame for everyone she can't save. I think if something happened to Willow or Xander then that would really be too much for her.

You certainly run the risk of getting caught in the crossfire if you're around Buffy. Some demons do target her and the gang specifically and if you're there at the time then you have a problem. However there are a whole lot of other demons out there going about their business killing people away from Buffy.
That's true, still, I think that someone who hangs out with Buffy faces an orders of magnitude higher chance of getting into a dangerous situation involving the occult than just a random person. It's a trade off. Those in Buffy's circle have a higher chance of surviving a demon attack but are also much more likely to face such an attack. Basically, if you're a random person you might face a demon attack. If you're Buffy's friend you will face an attack.

I think if something happened to Willow or Xander then that would really be too much for her.
I'm not really worried about those two. Xander knows how to not get killed, he's extremely experienced as well. Willow? She's the character I'm worried the least about. She's a turbo-witch and I mean, if the seed could bring back The Master I'm sure it can bring back its mother. Dawn and Giles? Yeah, more worried here. Spike? He's Buffy's love interest so pretty much a walking dead, it's just a matter of time.

Black Thorn
Xander knows how to not get killed, he's extremely experienced as well. Willow? She's the character I'm worried the least about. She's a turbo-witch and I mean, if the seed could bring back The Master I'm sure it can bring back its mother.
Oh yeah I agree about Willow. I think at this point in the story she'd be the one coming out of a nuclear blast and asking what all the fuss is about. I'm not so sure about Xander though. I get the feeling that one day he's going to throw himself into a fight and just get completely caught out. He's pretty much the only long standing fully human character I can think of that hasn't died yet.

Buffy Summers

Yataro
Staff member
Sineya
One nitpick: Giles didn't need glasses when he was Ripper Giles...

LOVE LOVE LOVE Dawn standing up for Buffy and screaming at Hank.

And I loved the Buffy-Giles stuff :)

Mr. pole said:
Mr. Pole: So did you just happen to get a bunch of comics or something all of a sudden? :)
No, I've had them. I just get behind, which makes me feel overwhelmed, so I get even more behind.

Spanky
Spanky
So did you just happen to get a bunch of comics or something all of a sudden? :)