• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Discussion of Buffy 10.20 "Triggers" - Released 10/21/15 (Dark Horse)

Sineya
Are the Scoobies being spied on?

Vicky says that Buffy "want what she can't have" – same thing Spike said earlier in the season. And Harmony says, more or less, what Angel said to Willow: that Spike has a pattern, he will always be the same around women – "he doesn't change" (of course, Harm has more “material” to work with, since they were a couple once). Or my beloved Christos Gage is just repeating himself.

And D'Hoffryn appeared at the Scoobies' living room right after they found out about the rewriting of the Vampyr book.

And at the cavern, the mysterious entity that talks to Anya has a crystal ball where we can see Xander at home, eating a sandwich.

But then, wouldn't be necessary for Ghost Anya to act as a spy, as I had thought earlier.

thetopher

Member of the Church Of Faith
Sineya
I just think the writers are hammering home certain points with an utter lack of finesse. Buffy this, Spike that, this character is this way, my therapist says this.

Part of me thinks, and I can't believe I'm typing this, couldn't they just leave Buffy and Spike be for a couple of issues. They're not letting it develop in any way except 'crisis!' and that's when it gets attention. It's like the writers want to deal with all the possible relationship complications of Spuffy (the S6 relationship, sleeping with Harmony, Spike possible killing again through dreams, Buffy going inside Spike's mind, Angel coming to visit, the AR, Satsu coming,) and get them out of the way before their eventual collapse.
I would rather like an issue or two where they were just away in background doing 'relationship stuff' whilst other characters take centre stage for once. But the only time we had that (Freaky Giles Day) Spike wasn't even there.

Maybe why that's why I can't invest in it. It's like a relationship on fast-forward with all the drama (that's too quickly dealt with) and no nice couple-y stuff in-between.
Then again it could be the medium. Writing for a comic book romance is not the same as writing for a tv one. You have to be more subtle with the drama, the whys and the wherefors of the characters and how they interact, and I'm not sure CG CAN be subtle on this evidence.

I think that the relationship stuff just doesn't fit this relationship because it doesn't reach the level of intensity expected from it. For example, Willow and Tara can stare at the stars, Tarot each other, play with their pussy and just be a happy couple because they are just a normal couple. Try that with Spike/Buffy and they crumble under the weight of their own tropes and history because Spike/Buffy has always been all about drama and darkness and larger than life bullshit - without it they're lame.

Shippers will hate me for saying that but Spike and Buffy don't really work as a couple, not like Willow and Tara or even Xander and Anya do, they work as lovers, as enemies, maybe as friends with undertones but bring them together and everything that made them cool goes poof. It's a problem that Spike/Buffy fan fiction writers, despite producing untold amounts of trash, have not been able to solve, it's actually kinda weird in that enough monkeys with typewriters way but there's a reason for it. You cannot 1-up the intensity of season 6 and still keep it Buffy.

As to dealing with complications - I think that the writers simply want to squeeze all the plot they can out of this relationship and then throw it into the bin like a juiceless lemon.

The Bronze
The Bronze
This made me laugh a lot even though I know you're talking about Miss Kitty Fantastica
Sineya
Shippers will hate me for saying that but Spike and Buffy don't really work as a couple, not like Willow and Tara or even Xander and Anya do, they work as lovers, as enemies, maybe as friends with undertones but bring them together and everything that made them cool goes poof.
They may have not work as a couple for you as audience or reader, but for them they work quite well - they just have to adjust to happiness and normalcy, because it's something that both of them aren't used to have in a relationship - mainly Buffy... :p

Wildfly

blue fire
Black Thorn
I think that the relationship stuff just doesn't fit this relationship because it doesn't reach the level of intensity expected from it. For example, Willow and Tara can stare at the stars, Tarot each other, play with their pussy and just be a happy couple because they are just a normal couple. Try that with Spike/Buffy and they crumble under the weight of their own tropes and history because Spike/Buffy has always been all about drama and darkness and larger than life bullshit - without it they're lame.

Shippers will hate me for saying that but Spike and Buffy don't really work as a couple, not like Willow and Tara or even Xander and Anya do, they work as lovers, as enemies, maybe as friends with undertones but bring them together and everything that made them cool goes poof. It's a problem that Spike/Buffy fan fiction writers, despite producing untold amounts of trash, have not been able to solve, it's actually kinda weird in that enough monkeys with typewriters way but there's a reason for it. You cannot 1-up the intensity of season 6 and still keep it Buffy.

As to dealing with complications - I think that the writers simply want to squeeze all the plot they can out of this relationship and then throw it into the bin like a juiceless lemon.
I also thought that happy end spuffy would be sappy like they were in 'Something Blue' till i read 'never stay with spuffy' which was hilarious. I think Spike is fun to live with, never boring. at least he was
in season 2 ('Dru, that bird is dead.' or 'You can't see the stars, love, that's the ceiling. Also, it's day.') or in season 4 being rommies with Giles and Xander. i don't see why getting a soul should kill off his sarcasm.
yes, i hate how they write him in season 10 comics.

Buffy Summers

Yataro
Staff member
Sineya
Thank goodness there's a reason they haven't been writing Anya right. The question is: why didn't Xander notice?

I like that they're finally dealing with the AR. I don't like Buffy dismissing it a minor problem. That cheapens everything that came before it in this issue imo.

Top Bottom