• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Discussion of Buffy 10.21 "In Pieces on the Ground, Part I" - Released 11/18/15 (Dark Horse)

Buffy Summers

Yataro
Staff member
Sineya
Writer: Christos Gage
Penciller: Rebekah Isaacs

Demon invasions are becoming a worldwide threat, and Buffy is tasked with convincing the vampire community that they should help fight the invasions. But to win them over, Buffy and Spike have to triumph in one-on-one battles with the finest vampires around—and Harmony is organizing the event!

Source: Wikipedia

gite63

Gone
Sineya
Though souled Spike annoys the hell out of me in the second half of season 7 and in season 10, it is probably the only way for him to Buffy. I only wish he'd be less submissive.
This quote ^ is from another thread, but I think that may have to do with the conversation that Spike will have with Dylan, about the patterns of his relationship with Buffy.

I have no idea of what she will say to Spike, but sometimes a person who doesn't know the other very well may have a better insight of the situation - no bias for starters.

Angel and Harmony & Vicky have their feelings or agenda clouding their opinions; Dylan doesn't. Sure, she may have feelings for him - because of what she said earlier ("he's the one who got way", issue #7) and has been looking for him, but at the same time she is not that invested in him and seemed to be an honest person (Spike: Into the Light). She can validate Angel's and Harmony's opinion, or say that they are wrong, but it may be an honest insight.

Or she is evil and is (one more) instrument to cause trouble between the Scoobies. I really don't think that Harmony's and Vicky's conversation with Spike and Buffy were just out of their evilness; too much coordinated and commemorated to be random - includind they demanding that the meeting should be with both Buffy and Spike, and only with them.

vellavu

Scooby
Black Thorn
Great excuse for an arena episode. Worse than "The Ring" though, and worse than pretty much everything else. I'm sorry but vampires do not worship gladiator style bravery. Ruthlessness and cunning is what they see as a leader. Otherwise the 480-pound new breed vampire would take charge of the negotiation instead of Vicki.

Since when Harmony can lecture Spike? Did she steal some undead intelligence enhance medicine from W&H or something?

Why should Spike fight the second vampire? Does he represent the faction of "souled vampires" which consists of only two?

And apparently the tournament banned Spike from using weapons. Speciesists!

I'm sure that the so called "old-breed vampire" Spike was fighting can't be a vampire. It's a demon which has hair-shaped head tumors.

The use of Satsu in this volume is at the edge of PR ploying. The teasing pages were about to say "Hah, Satsu shows up to stir Buffy's inner turmoil!" while the actual whole volume says "Just kidding! Satsu came just for business and totally nothing else!"

I can feel that the showing up of Dylan is about to play the same trick.

thetopher

Member of the Church Of Faith
Sineya
Urgh, well this was truly awful.

So many things- where to start:
Satsu showing up was a total non-event drama-wise. She was there to provide plot expostition and that was it. I'm not sure what the problem is with Satsu commenting on Buffy and Spike and saying that they used to be 'cool and mysterious' since at the time they were acting a bit awkward and domestic. Very domestic in fact, which is why the rest of the issue didn't ring true.

I've always had a huge problem with Harmony turning Buffyverse vamps into frigging True Blood vamps. Now that they're 'out and proud' in public and supposedly all obeying her 'not killing' rules? Utterly against what we've shown on the show and I have to wonder why the slayer even exists now. If vampires are just 'alternate-lifestyle' citizens and not evil demons that kill people. Crap.

The utter hypocrisy of Buffy still being angry with the army when she has forgiven the guy who led the army, who was instrumental in tracking them down in Tibet for that whole bloody battle. Hell, she damn well boinked him way back in S8.
The slayers have more right to be pissed at Buffy than she ever does to be mad at the army. Buffy is quickly becoming a hopelessly lost character, I'm getting tired of her saying dumb shit almost every time she opens her mouth.

The plot- convincing the vamps to help with trial by combat is kinda random. Okay, a show of strength from the Buffy slayer but Spike? Makes no sense that vamps would respect him- a soulled vampire- because he doesn't represent them now does he? Stupid.

The 'plan' for Harmony and Vicky to sabotage Buffy and Spike with mind games. Call be skeptical but Harmony is not, in any way, Angelus. To play mind games you first have to have a brain in your head. Whilst everything she says to Spike is pretty much true, (and has been since S7 or before) I don't believe that she would be that clever, intuitive or exact. Ever. Fail.
Vicky doing the same to Buffy was even worse because a) She's a stranger and doesn't know Buffy and b) What she was saying wasn't ever true of Buffy as the writers desperately try and rewrite and say that Buffy 'always wants what she can't have'. That self-pitying crap was supposed to be buried with the cookie dough speech way back in S7.
Although, having said that, Buffy really hasn't grown up that much if she's repeating the same mistakes that hse did back in S3.

Waste of an issue.

Can we please, please have some Willow plot! Some anything else plot! Something other that another Spuffy issue? What about Dawn? Or even Andrew? Please, lets here more about Andrew's upcoming betrayal.

vellavu

Scooby
Black Thorn
Please, lets here more about Andrew's upcoming betrayal.
Sorry but it seems that Both Whedon and Gage love Andrew so much. The rest of us be damned.:(

I've always had a huge problem with Harmony turning Buffyverse vamps into frigging True Blood vamps. Now that they're 'out and proud' in public and supposedly all obeying her 'not killing' rules? Utterly against what we've shown on the show and I have to wonder why the slayer even exists now. If vampires are just 'alternate-lifestyle' citizens and not evil demons that kill people. Crap.
Well as long as the comics don't say Harmony rule vampires are majority, I will hold my belief that most vampires are still rogue.

The slayer exists not to kill vampires but to prevent apocalypses since S4. Vampires became training materials instead of antagonists even earlier...

gite63

Gone
Sineya
I got my hard copy yesterday and noticed that Harmony called "Cecily" Cecilia. She was supposed to be a vengeance demon, by the way, according to Spike: Old Times.

Buffy Summers

Yataro
Staff member
Sineya
This was better that the premise would indicate. I actually like how Harmony was so insightful about Spike & Buffy. I don't really get that Buffy is unsatisfied with what she has, though. Riley, yes, but others I don't really think so.

Top Bottom