• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Discussion of Buffy 10.23 "In Pieces on the Ground, Part III" - Released 1/20/16 (Dark Horse)

white avenger

white avenger
They cannot get old together, or have any children. Buffy tried to abort whe she though she was pregnant because she knows that her child will always be in danger.
There's nothing to say that it would be any harder for Spike to regain his mortality than it would be to regain his soul. Possibly even easier, since it's fairly common knowledge in the demon community these days that a few drops of Mora demon blood will do the trick. Barring that, one of Buffy's best friends is possibly the most powerful human magic practitioners in the world. If there's a re-humanizing spell, she should probably be able to find it.

Once Spike is human, there's nothing whatsoever keeping him and Buffy from moving away, finding some peaceful little town, and starting new, normal, and probably quite boring lives together, away from vampires, demons, and the annual threat of apocalypse. Cute little cottage, white picket fence, rocking chairs on the front porch, the works.

These are characters living in a fantasy universe where literally anything is possible, with the single possible exception of getting Angel to laugh.

That's the "could" part. What tosses the cat in the buttermilk isn't a question of "could," as much as "would."

Buffy would no sooner walk away from being the Slayer than any other superhero would walk away from doing what they do. There's always going to be that old saw about, "Someday, when my job is done, when the world no longer needs me..." We've already heard Buffy's version in the cookie dough speech. Those cookies are never gonna get baked. Buffy knows it, Spike knows it, Angel knows it, the whole Buffyverse knows it. But that doesn't mean that it isn't fun to dream about once in awhile, and that's all that Buffy is doing, just dreaming about it.

GoSpuffy
GoSpuffy
[No message]
Sineya
I love this one beacause of the Sculptor`s death. I dont like this new villains. I really miss Archadeus, he was much more interesting here than he is now in ATS, i want him back!!
I agree.

I think that Giles is starting to be annoying. Why is he always complaining? he was dead and now he is alive and with a whole new live!, besides any person of his age would love to be a child again. Of course there are a few thing that he is not able to do right now but in a few years he would be a young adult who can start all over again. He should thank everyday for his luck, instead of being such a brat.
I believe the problem with Giles is a combination with being an adult "trapped" in a boy body and be treated like a child (this is very stressful!), and the influence of hormones - it has been messing with his adult mind and he really is powerless against these teen emotions... so, lately, he cannot see the good side of being a kid again. He had already said that be able to develop his magical abilities and have the whole life ahead of him makes him a lucky guy (I think when he talked to Buffy), but right now the teen rebellion is speaking louder...

I love the spuffy in this season, but we can see now that she is already thinking about the future. I dont see the reason; she already tried the normal life and the normal boyfriend so many times and she always got bored really soon. There are many Slayers now, so if she would wanted to quit she could have done that long ago, but it`s her nature, she likes to be an hero. Maybe she is thinking now about using that book to change that, with it she could make them both human (not slayer, not vampire)so they could finally have that happy normal life together.
I don't believe Buffy will ever mess with the book - to fix her life, her relationship with Spike or Spike's lack of heartbeat. She will stay with him or not, but she won't look for magical ways to solve her problems and or to make her dreams come true.

About her running and reflecting on family matters, I thought at first that was all about her having a normal life, but as she took in consideration what Spike said (Season 9) + kids + getting old (thinking far ahead), I think that it could be related to the cookie dough speech... About that I wrote in the Back Steps: Fat Grandchildren.

They cannot get old together, or have any children. Buffy tried to abort whe she though she was pregnant because she knows that her child will always be in danger.
It probably wont happend because they couldnt save the world anymore but propably she`s thinking about it now, and when they decide to end the story this wouldnt be a bad ending (at least, it should be a happy ending for once)
They cannot grow old together, but they can have children (not that I think it's advisable in their case - too dangerous of a life they live). And Buffy certainly was considering all these factors while running. Let's see which is her verdict!

Having in mind that
  • thinking of having a normal life with Spike;
  • considering running away with him and having baby;
  • and then deciding that if she wanted normal she could not be with him
has already been done.

Last edited:

white avenger

white avenger
(Spike and Buffy) cannot grow old together,
But, as has been pointed out with both Spike and Angel in any sort of long term relationship, that is probably the least important factor in the relationship, considering the extremely high mortality rate in both the Slayer line and the demon fighting profession in general. Some vampire or demon might get that one good day with either or both of them at any time, and it doesn't even have to be all that formidable an opponent, it just has to be a case of some dumb mistake or freak accident to set up the fatal blow.

And that same thing goes for, literally, every character in the Buffyverse. They're doomed, each and every one of them, living on what could only be described as borrowed time, so, whatever happiness they might be able to grab, even if for a fleeting moment, should be taken, and savored. It's the classic case of, "Eat a hearty breakfast, lads, because tonight, we may all be dining in hell."

GoSpuffy
GoSpuffy
[No message]
gite63
gite63
Besides, there is something called divorce, which happens a lot... ; )
Sineya
I really dislike that from the beginning they have made Spike need to change to be with Buffy. If she doesn't want him for who he is, then they shouldn't be together.
Buffy dated too vampires and at this point of her life she should have already accepted their shortcomings. They are what they are, and they can't or shouldn't change solely because of her.

Spike evolved from demon to a soulled being, so I, for one, think it was a good thing; but now, if he is thinking about being human, I hope that it would be something he wants for himself.

And I don't believe they would repeat the same story: Spike looking for a way to become human in order to be with Buffy - even if she hinted that it was what she would like from him.

Sineya
See I just wish they hadn't bothered with the soul with Spike, just had Buffy accept him as a good man and a member of her team.
Well, that's the same argument about Faith - if the Scoobies had accepted her in their middle...

Spike was "learning" how to be good, and maybe if he had more incentive... the new order has vampires that don't kill people anymore and live among humans in Harmony (see what I did here?), but it's because their own selfish interests, not because they are good. But not killing isn't the only way to do evil, anyway.

Top Bottom