• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Discussion of Buffy 10.26 "Own It, Part I" - Released 4/20/16 (Dark Horse)

Buffy Summers

Yataro
Staff member
Sineya
Writer: Christos Gage Penciller: Rebekah Isaacs

The Scoobies are falling apart—and so is the world they are trying to save. While demon lords are still on the loose, Buffy has become distracted, and a bit enraged, by another crisis that is affecting those closest to her ...

Source: Wikipedia

gite63

Gone
Sineya
Great issue!

Xander and Dawn – I didn't expect that Gage would go in that direction, so I was a little surprised, but I think I liked it... Dawn is worshiped as a God in Anharra, and things end up being a walk on the beach for her and Xander there.

Meanwhile, in San Francisco, quite a contrast: Buffy is very angry and lashing out at her friends and Spike; if she only could know how things are going quite well for her little sister... Buffy is rude to Willow and Giles saying that they are too busy with their “new relationships” to worry about Dawn and Xander, and when she decides that it's time to use the Vampyr book to bring them home and Spike disagrees with her, he is harshly criticized, too. (Bad, bad Buffy) I've never seen Buffy that angry, and really detached from her Slayer duties.

In the hell dimension, Xander goes from servant to Dawn's consort: his talents as a constructor and his experience in therapy (after being in treatment by Dr. Mike for so long) help him and Dawn to make themselves at home in Anharra. Plus, Dawn's feelings for Xander seems to be resurfacing... (I said that it would happen!)

And D'Hoffryn... he finally shows his true intentions, which as he himself says, should be expected by everyone who wasn't stupid enough to trust a "soulless demon whose business is vengeance"... the Council is gone, he kills everyone, and takes their powers (the Scoobies should have read the Council statute's small print). D'Hoffryn's rampant rage is awesome and scary, I loved all of it! The panels are beautiful in all its horror and evil glory. And, of course, he takes the book, leaving the Scoobies shocked beyond belief.

And in Anharra... there is a cave with a wolf, a ham and a hart printed on its walls!!! A busy demon lawyer is making an importan call... he wants to pass a mesage to the Senior Partners about what is happening in Anharra.

What does that mean??? It would have a link to Teo Daniels and his Tin Can social network for demons? Or Angel will receive a call again, and will come to help dealing with W&H? Or is it have to do with Spike, who spent some time in LA and knows something about W&H?

Spanky

Zexy Mercenary
Black Thorn
Was it just me or did they make Buffy sound so anti-Buffy. The same could be said for Willow. Their little argument did not feel real at all. The rest was alright.

Another part where the writers didnt think. If as members of the counil were killed, the remaining members gained portion of their powers. Which meant the more D'Hoffryn killed the stronger and more difficult to kill the remaining members would be but it was not shown as such. The last guy should have had the same powers as D'Hoffryn since all of the power was split between those two. It wasn't a Highlander thing where he killed them and got their power.

gite63

Gone
Sineya
Was it just me or did they make Buffy sound so anti-Buffy. The same could be said for Willow. Their little argument did not feel real at all.
I think Willow and Giles were OK, they were responding to a very angry Buffy; but Buffy, yes, she was very anti-Buffy, mainly because her disregard of her Slayer instincts, she wasn't worried about anything but Dawn. Maybe Dawn is really her
Achilles' heel.

Another part where the writers didnt think. If as members of the counil were killed, the remaining members gained portion of their powers. Which meant the more D'Hoffryn killed the stronger and more difficult to kill the remaining members would be but it was not shown as such. The lst guy hould have had the same powers as D'Hoffryn since all of the power was split between those two. It wasn't a Highlander thing where he killed them and got their power.
I hadn't thought of that...

The order of the killings was:

1. Matango - invulnerable to magic attacks (D'Hoffryn burned him)
  2. Keiko - able to absorb and redirect the kinetic energy of an attack (D'Hoffryn caught her by surprise and froze her)
  3. Monarch - able to drain the magic power of any being not native to this dimension (again D'Hoffryn seemed to catch her by surprise, back stabbing her)
  4. Quiet Man - able to return any being to its native dimension (he also was killed by surprise, but it seems that D'Hoffryn used magic, and Matango should be invulnerable to it)
  5. Brahma - able to read any opponent's greatest weakness.
So, both D'Hoffryn and Brahma should be invulnerable to physical attacks (Keiko's power) and to magic attacks (Matango's).

Unless, all those powers couldn't be used against any Council's member by another member? I mean, by killing the members, D'Hoffryn and Brahma got the powers, but they couldn't use them against each other?

thetopher

Member of the Church Of Faith
Sineya
Read it.
The Xander/Dawn stuff was very strong, the characterisation good and there were some nice comic moments. It was like Angel Inc. in Pylea or something but not as jarring.

Back in San Fran it was fairly dire. Buffy was rude to everyone (even poor Spikey! hahaha) and then just went to her room to sulk instead of looking for a solution. Willow is the one who comes to her with a suggestion and Buffy doesn't really engage. It's been sad to see her regressing as a character this season.

And the finale came where somebody actually threatening went and stole the book. Not Andrew, not Harmony, but D'Hoffryn.
I'm not surprised that he didn't bother killing them- proclaiming loudly that they were no threat anymore a couple of times- as they have not been overly impressive this season. If they couldn't even kill some lame demon trio, how are they going to kill uber-D'Hoffryn?

white avenger

white avenger
I'm not surprised that he didn't bother killing them- proclaiming loudly that they were no threat anymore a couple of times- as they have not been overly impressive this season. If they couldn't even kill some lame demon trio, how are they going to kill uber-D'Hoffryn?
I seem to remember someone who claimed to be that powerful in Season 2. Maybe it's rocket launcher time again.

thetopher

Sineya
I seem to remember someone who claimed to be that powerful in Season 2.
It's a common enough villain mistake- Glory, Adam and Caleb have pulled the 'I have effortlessly defeated you and so I now walk dramatically away' card, but it seemed more blatent here because D'Hoffryn was telling them why. Twice.

I would've been better if he'd dramatically kicked their collective asses and left them strewn about the apartment- battered and bruised- with the reader unsure if they were either alive or dead. :eek:
And then the next time D'Hoffryn could've done the 'bah, I've warned you once slayer, never again' or something.
Would've been more dramatic imo.

vellavu

Scooby
Black Thorn
It's a common enough villain mistake- Glory, Adam and Caleb have pulled the 'I have effortlessly defeated you and so I now walk dramatically away' card, but it seemed more blatent here because D'Hoffryn was telling them why. Twice.
I think D'Hoffryn likes them a little bit. Reading between the lines, I think he doesn't want to kill them at all, even after many many times of fighting. "I'll kill you next time" is just denial.:D

thetopher

Sineya
I think D'Hoffryn likes them a little bit. Reading between the lines, I think he doesn't want to kill them at all, even after many many times of fighting.
Does he like them though? He points out- quite rightly- that he's a souless demon devoted singularly to vengeance and laughs at their stupidity in trusting them and then mocks their petty soap-opera lives.
It just strikes me as writers trying to explain away something and instead drawing massive attention to it. *shrug*

vellavu

Scooby
Black Thorn
Does he like them though? He points out- quite rightly- that he's a souless demon devoted singularly to vengeance and laughs at their stupidity in trusting them and then mocks their petty soap-opera lives.
It just strikes me as writers trying to explain away something and instead drawing massive attention to it. *shrug*
I read a Giles-to-Randy feeling from it. An antagonistic father's disappointment.

sosa lola

Scooby
Just read the issue. It was so enjoyable. The Xander/Dawn stuff especially. Dawn seems to have started developing feelings for Xander. "On your world, is he worshiped?" "Only by himself." Hee and awwww I really, really love when Xander is appreciated. This issue does showcase Xander's real power: communication instead of violence. He was able to make the lives of those demons better with his knowledge in construction and what he had learned from Dr. Mike.

gite63

Gone
Sineya
He was able to make the lives of those demons better with his knowledge in construction and what he had learned from Dr. Mike.
I read it again and I really enjoyed Xander and Dawn in Anharra - Xander using his knowledge as a constructor to save himself and others - like he had done when the gang was about to be killed by Archaeus, earlier in the season - was pretty neat.

I think D'Hoffryn likes them a little bit. Reading between the lines, I think he doesn't want to kill them at all, even after many many times of fighting. "I'll kill you next time" is just denial.:D
D'Hoffryn didn't want the book damaged; plus, in Selfless, he said "never go for the kill when you can go for the pain". The way he left, leaving the Scoobies totally shocked and paralyzed was very effective (looking from an evil point of view, of course). The greatest vengeance is to see the Scoobies living with the knowledge that they were manipulated, lost the book, and represent no threat to him. Of course, D'Hoffryn is wrong, and will have his ass kicked soon enough.

gite63

Gone
Sineya
The powers that D'Hoffryn now have aren't his; they belong to the Magic Council. He is the only surviving member, but replacements should be named. Of course, he has the book, and he could write something in his favor – but that wouldn't be so easy, due to the Vampyr's Monkey's Paw tendency of interpreting things according to its own will.

But there is a mysterious force that has been writing on the book - and the Scoobies could use it to their advantage. Maybe this entity isn't good or evil – it is all about balance; it wouldn't want an evil being with so much power, and if the Scoobies found out what (or who) it is, maybe that would be the solution to bring D'Hoffryn down. Anya and the new Dawn's powers could enter the mix.

vellavu

Scooby
Black Thorn
Goddess Dawn doesn't even try to fix Xander's eyes. Must be the hardest thing in the universe. Harder than reviving people and opening interdimensional portals.

Buffy Summers

Yataro
Staff member
Sineya
Willow is the one who comes to her with a suggestion and Buffy doesn't really engage. It's been sad to see her regressing as a character this season.
I did think Buffy acted out of character in this issue, but Willow was a real bitca to Buffy in that scene. So condescending, ugh.

thetopher: Willow just can't do anything right in your eyes. :p
Not lately, no. But that's how she's written nowadays. It's ridiculous fan pandering.

thetopher
thetopher
Willow just can't do anything right in your eyes. :P

Snyder

Potential
am I the only one to think Buffy wasnt totally in the wrong? I mean, what were Willow and Giles doing really? Buffy and Spike went around looking for a solution but those two only went to talk to their girlfriends, nothing else. that's what's shown at least. And Willow, putting her hopes on the Council. Why would D'Hofryn and the others care about saving Dawn and Xander? So may be she was right to be angered and think they didn't care much

gite63

Gone
Sineya
am I the only one to think Buffy wasnt totally in the wrong? I mean, what were Willow and Giles doing really? Buffy and Spike went around looking for a solution but those two only went to talk to their girlfriends, nothing else. that's what's shown at least. And Willow, putting her hopes on the Council. Why would D'Hofryn and the others care about saving Dawn and Xander? So may be she was right to be angered and think they didn't care much
You do have a point. Willow is a powerful witch that has never needed a coven to do her magic, and leaning on the Council to find a way to bring Dawn and Xander back wasn't the best of ideas.

Said that, both Giles and Will told Buffy they didn't stop looking for the Mistress and the Soul Glutton plus fighting the demon invasions, so they were really busy.

Buffy's behavior I understand, because Dawn is really her soft spot, so she lashed out at everyone. But we see that Willow and Spike are being supportive anyway, she talked to her, he touched her in a reassuring way.

Snyder

Potential
You do have a point. Willow is a powerful witch that has never needed a coven to do her magic, and leaning on the Council to find a way to bring Dawn and Xander back wasn't the best of ideas.

Said that, both Giles and Will told Buffy they didn't stop looking for the Mistress and the Soul Glutton plus fighting the demon invasions, so they were really busy.

Buffy's behavior I understand, because Dawn is really her soft spot, so she lashed out at everyone. But we see that Willow and Spike are being supportive anyway, she talked to her, he touched her in a reassuring way.
Dunno... yes Giles and Willow are busy but there are others the government the council 500 slayers who could take care of the mistress and the soul glutton, their priority should be saving Dawn and Xander who btw were trapped in that hell dimension to save the world. in the past when they both lost a loved one they stopped caring of what was happening to the world and their only thought was for revenge, now it's not about revenge it's about saving them and it seems they are doing nothing. Buffy doesn't need support, she needs help to find a way to bring her sister back imo

gite63

Gone
Sineya
Dunno... yes Giles and Willow are busy but there are others the government the council 500 slayers who could take care of the mistress and the soul glutton, their priority should be saving Dawn and Xander who btw were trapped in that hell dimension to save the world. in the past when they both lost a loved one they stopped caring of what was happening to the world and their only thought was for revenge, now it's not about revenge it's about saving them and it seems they are doing nothing. Buffy doesn't need support, she needs help to find a way to bring her sister back imo
Giles and Willow seemed pretty unnerved, I give you that - Will even made an inapropriate commentary about her and Aluwyn being like Brangelina. But they are right about the dangers of using the book.

Top Bottom