• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Discussion of Buffy 10.28 "Own It, Part III" - Released 6/22/16 (Dark Horse)

Scooby Corps

Fly! Be free, little bird, you defy category!
Also, so Willow breaks up with Lake because the military kicked her out (and probably rightly so)?
Lake and the military were just plot devices for the Buffy/Willow conflict anyway and contributed nothing new to either development. It's basically a repeat of S04 (growing up and apart, then coming back together) but much more imbalanced. And yeah, since every decision maker of the military or government is portrait denser than Andrew could throw him, it's, of course, a plausible decision to kick her out. ;)This admiral is so cliché it isn't even funny...

Well, he wasn't standing by his feelings much when he was breaking up with her...
This! :D

Relationships were weak this year, between people dating and between friends. I hope that S11 will put this behind us and focus more on the big bads and have the relationships in the background. I think Willow and Lake might reconcile, Xander and Dawn might reconcile and Buffy and Spike will be a couple but more focused on fighting rather than inner turmoil. Looks like poor Giles will be single again. Maybe Giles and Angel should give it a go. :) Just kidding.
I don't think Willow and Lake will reconcile. Lake is beyond flat and hadn't much to offer but some platitudes which were yesterday's news. It's again writer's pathological desire to push characters into a romance just for the sake of having a romance.

I agree that focus should be less (or not at all, depends) on the relationships and more on the single character arcs in the next season. Buffy needs to grow as a person independent from Spuffy and they need to stop her repetitious "everyone is against me" attitude. Spike needs to stop defining himself solely through Buffy (or Angel when he is around). Willow needs an actual arc in the first place. After S09 full stop, then nothing. Human Giles (Watcher Giles is cool) is since S04 in various forms of midlife crises, it's getting old. Dawn was for the majority of the season a support character for Xander and Buffy. Her beginning exploration of her keyness leads to hope. Oddly, Xander's arc is the one I enjoyed most. He had his rl with Dawn, Dracula, his rage issues, Ghost Anya, he could shine in terraforming and gain confidence, provided decent comic relief, got a pillow fight with Spike (okay scratch that)...

And stop this Buffy Vs. Scoobies nonsense. It's so old, unconvincing and contrived. Since S07, this tool to increase sympathy for her stopped working for me. It's rather the other way around.

Angel - "So listen, I know I killed your girlfriend that one time and also killed you that one time... *stares at the ground* But, hey, everything worked out fine *awkward pause, looks at Giles* do you maybe wanna... date?"
You convinced me! Gangel!!! :p

But please, I'm obviously joking! Don't get any ideas... Angel/Giles would be wrong :p
You're not getting out of this.;)

Oddly, Xander's arc is the one I enjoyed most. He had his rl with Dawn, Dracula, his rage issues, Ghost Anya, he could shine in terraforming and gain confidence, provided decent comic relief, got a pillow fight with Spike (okay scratch that)...
Hey! That pillow fight was the best part! :D I also enjoyed Xander's arc the most this season, not just because he's my fave, but because it was something new. This is the first time one of the Scoobies gets therapy, the Ghost Anya stuff were really interesting and the Spander friendship. I think his arc was the only thing in S10 that was coherent and well thought of. He started out lost and with rage issues, worked on them, and now he's in a good place. I loved how he used his construction skills and what he learned in therapy for his and Dawn's benefit in the demon dimension.

And stop this Buffy Vs. Scoobies nonsense. It's so old, unconvincing and contrived. Since S07, this tool to increase sympathy for her stopped working for me. It's rather the other way around.
YES! God, everytime it happens I just side with the Scoobies. I'm done with Wooby 'A Slayer is always alone waaaah' Buffy. Much prefer S5 Buffy who shut the council up by listing her friends' contributions to the fight.

GoSpuffy
GoSpuffy
I enjoyed both the Spander friendship, and the Spangel frienemies storylines, immensely.

Carrie Hopewell

Little girl lost in the woods
Sineya
@DoktorRock Agree with everything you said.

Spike needs to stop defining himself solely through Buffy (or Angel when he is around).
I just wanted to add, and I'm talking to the writers here, leave poor Angel alone! Stop talking about Bangel to create drama with Spuffy and don't use Angel as a cheap shot against Spike. I'm beyond tired of everyone mentioning Angel once Buffy's current relationship starts to go badly. They did this with Riley: the whole Buffy needs a man with a bit of demon inside him, Dawn telling Riley that Buffy used to cry a lot when Angel was around. And now with Spuffy, Buffy is afraid that because she sent Angel to hell, that means all her relationships end badly or that she's just bad at relationships. And Spike was worried, at one point, that she would chose Angel because she always does. I'm a die-hard Bangel, but give me a break. Don't create fake relationship problems, least of all by repetitively mentioning Buffy's ex boyfriend, whom she dated about what, 10 years ago?

You convinced me! Gangel!!! :p
You're not getting out of this.;)
No, no, no! What have I done? :eek: Shame on all of you, I say! Shame!
And what about Buffy? She'd totally lose her slayer cool ;)

Scooby Corps

Fly! Be free, little bird, you defy category!
and the Spander friendship
I have nothing against a Spander friendship (everything that gives Spike more depth is okay) but it happened out of the blue without development which made it implausible for me in that issue. :)

The pillow fight was a bit sexist if I consider that they wouldn't do something similar with, let's say, Willow and Faith.;) I have nothing against sex and nakedness per se especially in a visual medium like comics.

I think his arc was the only thing in S10 that was coherent and well thought of.
I agree, it's a bittersweet consolation for a Willow fan who happens to be a little Xander fan as well. :(

YES! God, everytime it happens I just side with the Scoobies. I'm done with Wooby 'A Slayer is always alone waaaah' Buffy. Much prefer S5 Buffy who shut the council up by listing her friends' contributions to the fight.
A world of yes! It's particular jarring because Buffy isn't alone or unique in any aspect of her character since a long time. She isn't the only Slayer anymore which was the foundation of her "isolations" in the first place.

sk

The Overlooked One
Sineya
Seemed a little too easy getting Dawn & Xander back.l
This was my main problem with this issue.
It was either too easy or we didn't get to see all the stuff they had to go through. Both leaves me feeling unsatisfied.

I don't know. The whole conflict, as well as the "reunion" of the Scoobies, seems contrived and unreal. I don't feel it.
Totally agree - it felt very cartoon-ish to me. "Everyone let's high five and go save the day!" lol
Guess this is true but it still made me happy.
The show/comics works so much better when the gang are working together and I'm glad that they are back on track again.
Let's see how long it last this time though...

/SK

Sternbeeere
Sternbeeere
Agree , especially with the first part.