• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Discussion of Buffy 10.30 "Own It, Part V" - Released 8/24/16 (Dark Horse)

Buffy Summers

Yataro
Staff member
Sineya
Writer: Christos Gage Penciller: Rebekah Isaacs
In the final issue of Season 10, the fight for the world has come down to Buffy, her friends, and their gamble . .

Source: Wikipedia

vellavu

Scooby
Black Thorn
It's worse than I expected.

D'Hoffryn's character is completely ruined. You know, even Sunday got a dignified exit.

The new council is significantly more evil than the old one.

Anya conveniently died to avoid any further Xander angst.

The drawing of Dawn is off.

Dracula is the only upside, but even his dialogues seem a little wore-off and repetitive.

thetopher

Member of the Church Of Faith
Sineya
Well, Season 10 is done. Stick a fork in it, it's over.
And...it was far from the best of season finale's. In fact it was probably the worst, and here's why:

D'Hoffryn: I was wrong. D'Hoffryn was a terrible Big Bad. His death did an excellent job of robing him any shred of dignity, I won't be able to see his character in the same way again sadly.
And the twist as to HOW he lost was entirely stupid and contrived. He died because he was an idiot.

'Anya': We never find out who Anya was originally 'cause she's it turns out she's simply a creation of D'Hoffryn, built to be 'like' Anya. And so the attempt to tie one of the Scoobies emotionally to the Bid Bad utterly failed. She wasn't real. Her 'death' wasn't tragic, in fact I struggled to care. She was a figment.

The minions: Uh, just up and leave D'Hoffryn. Because D'Hoffryn wasn't cool with 'Anya' straight up betraying him (and attacking him) and siding with the other side. That made no actual sense. Worse minions ever really.
It's unclear as to Jonathan's fate. Is he a vengeance demon now?

Xander: Glad he's not dead- of course- but his resurrection and all those reactions to it were emotionally hollow for the most part.

The wrap-up: The Scoobies decide to become to 'new' magic council and so the last few pages are full of terribly unfunny jokes about magic politics and lobbying. Can we look forward to more of this in S11? Don't care tbh, really disappointing.
Even Dracula was flat and unfunny.

And we are let with Buffy and all trying to figure out not just the new rules but a new way of running things. Honestly, with the track record they showed this season...

The earth is definitely doomed.

I'm done with this. :(

B
black cat
[No message]

amberjane

Potential
new magic council.... was the magic council ever necessary?? at least with all the slayers still in existence, a new watchers council would have made sense (not at all like how some trained a faction of the slayer army)... just kinda senseless. and it sounds like we rebleft with the same problem at the beginning ofvthe season: what to do with the rule book and how to write the new rules of magic.

sosa lola

Scooby
I haven't read the issue yet, but the reactions here are the opposite of those on Tumblr. :D

Reactions: Guy

Scooby Corps

Fly! Be free, little bird, you defy category!
Well, that was... underwhelming.

Anyone else reading D'Hoffryn's execution (Willow and Giles holding him down and Buffy decapitating him.... ugh what?) a seizure of political power? Propaganda (consensus of enough minds wins out) to bring the masses against him. Manipulating D'Hoffryn's entourage (Faux!Anya, Faux!Jonathan, eventually the other vengeance demons) to further undermine his authority and power. Then the assassination followed by taking over of his place in the Council. At the very least the selection of the other participants to their best convenience. The first steps to dictatorship! :D

Seriously now, that was crap. How predictable and unimaginative was that? Of course Faux!Anya straightforward grants the wish and of course Xander was just a ghost (for five minutes?).

Current personal season ranking: 3,2,5,4,8,1,6,7,9,10

RomanticSoul

Frell Me
Wonder if the Spuffy shippers would be just as underwhelmed by the Season as the non-Spuffy shippers if there hadn't been any romantic Spuffy. Something tells me, they would have been.

Sternbeeere

Glory´s sane(?) groupie
Wonder if the Spuffy shippers would be just as underwhelmed by the Season as the non-Spuffy shippers if there hadn't been any romantic Spuffy. Something tells me, they would have been.
I am Spuffy but I still do not like Season 10, because of the storyline and because the lack of character arcs for Dawn, Giles, Willow (and I am not even that much a fan of willow that much). Not to mention the lack of creativity. Not to mention that Spike is good in every season to me so that is no measurement of how good the season was.

Neat16

Townie
Black Thorn
Maybe just a little but I liked everything else as well.

GoSpuffy

Vampire Lover, I mean Slayer
Black Thorn
I agree Willow didn't do much this year, and can't say I love child Giles, however I thought Dawn and Xander had great stories arcs this year. Spuffy was great but it was still interesting to read. There were a lot of characters this year, Andrew had a bigger role, Lake, Harmony and Vicky, Angel's cross over and all the big bads. I think Willow got less time because there were so many story lines so I can live with that for now but hope she gets more to do in S11. Xander got tons of focus and it was great, his relationship with Dawn, his growing friendship with Spike, Dr. Mike, his time with Faux Anya, dimension hopping. I don't see how anyone can say Xander wasn't a standout character in S10.

amberjane

Potential
Xander got tons of focus and it was great, his relationship with Dawn, his growing friendship with Spike, Dr. Mike, his time with Faux Anya, dimension hopping. I don't see how anyone can say Xander wasn't a standout character in S10.
probably why it made sense for him to die :0

LycheeP

Townie
anticlimactic..... only I'm not sure if that's a bad (dreadfully unspectacular) or a good thing (genius move by not giving us what we have come to expect from a season finale)

white avenger

white avenger
And...it was far from the best of season finale's. In fact it was probably the worst, and here's why:
At least things are back to normal.

We are in total disagreement on this topic.

Lilah's back, Dracula's back, and though it's hard to say whether he's actually the " old" Dracula who we originally saw (the one who was inspired by Vlad Tepes, by the way, one of the most feared warriors of his time:rolleyes:) from just those few lines, I look forward to finding out in Season 11. It's even nice to see Riley back. Hopefully, we'll get to see Sam in Season 11, since she's no longer tied up with that stuff in Pennsylvania (a little inside joke for my fellow "Banshee" fans, there) And, best of all.....

BUFFY AND SPIKE ARE STILL TOGETHER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The only thing that could make me happier would be the return of Joan and Randy.

Now, we get to look forward to Season 11.

thetopher

Member of the Church Of Faith
Sineya
We are in total disagreement on this topic.
As we are on so many things apparently...

Lilah's back- but lame, Dracula's back, but now merely as a comedy character (ott weeping at Dawn/Xander being together?) and Riley- well, actually I thought that was a clever choice in a season that had so few surprises.

And Buffy and Spike won't last I suspect, but unfortunately I don't see that Spike can have any meaningful character arcs after this. He's over as an independent character.

Which is a good place to leave it I think; Spuffy's love the season (what a shocker), but those who perhaps wanted more are- as always- disappointed that they wasted their money.

vellavu

Scooby
Black Thorn
Why isn't Satsu here? Why isn't Kennedy here? Who's in charge of the slayers now?

It's definitely not Buffy. As far as I remember, Buffy still owe them a formal apology.

Buffy Summers

Yataro
Staff member
Sineya
At once I like Dawn having powers, and I think it the fact that she didn't have powers was something important for her story. So I'm not sure about that. I did like that Xander got Anya closure.

I really found the ending underwhelming, though I liked seeing Dracula again.

The Bronze

Rogue Demon Hunter
Black Thorn
Finally got my copy and read it this evening. It's lame. Topher has already summed it up pretty well.

I said Xander wasn't dead. Killing him and bringing him back within seconds is cheap. It just takes away from any sense of danger and stakes in the future.

D'Hoffryn absolutely sucks. Which is a shame because I thought him being the big bad was going to be great. Instead he pathetically trades barbs with the gang instead of focusing on a real scheme or doing some actual damage.

Why on earth is Buffy sitting around the table negotiating with the enemy. Just ****ing kill them! Seriously we've already had Angel trying this exact thing with Wolfram and Hart. What's she going to offer them? Humans to eat but only on a Friday?

The dialogue felt off and forced as well. No one sounds right to me. I'm really struggling to get the character voices.

I've found both titles underwhelming this year. Really liked Angel and Faith last year and the first issue of Buffy Season 10 had so much promise. Not sure where it all went wrong. I'll have to think whether to carry on next season.

Top Bottom