• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Discussion of Buffy 11.01 "The Spread of Their Evil" - Released 11/23/16 (Dark Horse)

Black Thorn
Life is good for Buffy and the Scoobies with everyone finally finding a happy and calm place in their lives. But when a supernatural disaster wreaks havoc on their very existence, and the entire city of San Francisco, they are forced back into fighting form.

Source: Dark Horse

So anyone else read this yet? Pretty underwhelming start to the season for me. It felt like they were desperately trying to explain the last 10 seasons for any new comers. I'd rather they catered for those of us who are already interested.

Last edited by a moderator:
I really enjoyed this. It's very slight, considering it's only issued once a month, and I could have done with more, but I could always do with more Buffy :) There's some nice banter and comedy, I especially liked Giles making a dig at Dawn's cooking. Loved the Spuffy stuff, though there is an undercurrent of dissatisfaction so I'm a little bit nervous as to where it's going. It's nicely set up for the rest of the season and it's looking good

GoSpuffy

Vampire Lover, I mean Slayer
Black Thorn
I really enjoyed this. It's very slight, considering it's only issued once a month, and I could have done with more, but I could always do with more Buffy :) There's some nice banter and comedy, I especially liked Giles making a dig at Dawn's cooking. Loved the Spuffy stuff, though there is an undercurrent of dissatisfaction so I'm a little bit nervous as to where it's going. It's nicely set up for the rest of the season and it's looking good
I don't know if it is an undercurrent of dissatisfaction so much as Spike and Buffy being broody. Buffy about her life and Spike still not seeming 100% sure Buffy is with him. We don't need Buffy and Spike to be broody, we've got Angel if we want to see that. :)

@Priceless me too! Finally a wedding that happens? That would be new ground for BtVS!

P
Priceless
I'm hoping this season will bring them even closer together
Forever Spuffy
Forever Spuffy
Their just so gorgeous together (swoon) ❤
I liked the issue but just as I was getting into it it ended lol i think it was a little short, it was interesting but I do agree they seam to be trying to explain it all for new readers.

I thought the issue was promising and I appreciate that they're taking the season in a new direction (disaster first, slayage later).

With regards to Spuffy, I really wish they sparred more, verbally, physically, humor-wise, whatever. It's what always floated them as a dynamic couple and I'll be disappointed if they just continue on with the broody, silent undertone of Season 10's relationship problems, which were a little Bangel-esque but were at least grounded in character-- both Spike's and Buffy's fears of missteps in serious relationships past, abandonment and obsession. But they resolved that! Kids gotta move on, get new problems, have a little more fun. Less behind the back lukewarm comments about the relationship, more calling each other out directly-- that's more in line for these characters, especially Spike.

sk

The Overlooked One
Sineya
Not that much to say about this first issue of the season.

Thought it was nice to see them all together being fairly happy for once.
Somehow I think that won't last... personally I would love to see a season without the gang having so much internal issues for once.

They managed to get my attention though.
I'm curious to see what's up with the dragon. I guess it's not just a straightforward evil dragon thing.

/SK

Can't believe they are still agreeing to make these. Issue 1 didn't even sell 15k issues. The glory days of the BtVS comics has come to pass years ago.

Scooby Corps

Fly! Be free, little bird, you defy category!
It seemed silly to me that loving two vampires is apparently, generally, an indicator for particular awesomeness. If Buffy weren't her sister, I'd think Dawn has the hots for her, given the way she praised Buffy to the sky like a crushing fangirl.

Independent from the story itself, which I can't rate yet, the patronizing on-the-nose dialogue constantly pulls me out of it. It actually became better with the dragon's attack just alone because the characters kept their mouths shut.

Reading Spike's Dr. Freudish self-evaluation ("I feel I have grown... do I get a cookie? Look at my sad puppy eyes!") or Buffy yet again dwelling in self-pity (like... on principle) starting with the obligatory "It's me..." and followed with a basic "I'm such a loser and victim! Whaaah!" plus Dawn's "enthusiastic" attempt at cheering her up made me cringe.

However, I thought the corny panel with the almost Spuffy kiss was good unintentional satire. "Mmmm, tasty slug demon... come here, Buffy!" :D

Washing hands or changing clothes after having killed a slimy demon before attending a barbecue is overrated courtesy anyway.

Best line: "Fighting the damn dragon!" Yo, Buffy, you're totally right. ENOUGH is enough! (/Samuel L. Jackson voice)

Best character: Giles. He's a miserable (and apparently bitter) prick but it's refreshing how the text doesn't dwell on it in form of boring monologs. He's just an ass and us readers can judge and interpret without getting told what to think.

Not much to say about Willow and nothing about Xander except that he doesn't feel like a pedophile anymore. Willow's obviously all fulfilled and purposeful and the line about readjusting to the natural and supernatural world seems like pretty obvious foreshadowing.

I liked Buffy and Willow fighting the dragon (partly because of the less talking) and saving each other. A small gleam in an otherwise tedious season opener. Definitely the weakest opener of all.

At first glance, the story will probably be more political and mirror the current division of our society with influences from Marvel's Civil War and maybe some parallels to the Holocaust. Maybe something like: the dragon was sent by a third party (human or demon) who has an interest in general chaos or a personal vendetta with one of the Scoobies (likely Spike, Buffy or Willow). I think there might be a Scooby conflict based on the main social conflict with Willow & Buffy on opposing sides and of course some Spuffy standard romance angst. Since Spike is all grown, he might function as some kind of arbiter which was already practiced in S10 on a smaller scale. Or he'll function as a damsel because he's a vampire without human rights and the government won't acknowledge his soul. The reason why Giles will be sent to highschool might be to hide him from the authorities. Xander and Dawn will play only a little role, if at all, given the duration of the season, and predominantly provide food, some one-liners, and medical care. Andrew is hopefully just... not there.

Last edited:
Just read this... The Buffy/Dawn scene made me smile like an idiot. Buffy being proud of Dawn, Dawn trying to make Buffy feel better about herself. It was all very sisterly and loving

Am I the only one who finds it ridiculous/weird how much Dowling is interested in Buffy and Spike's relationship?

The ending got me intrigued...

Grace
Grace
You are definitely not the only one to think that about Dowling!
Am I the only one who finds it ridiculous/weird how much Dowling is interested in Buffy and Spike's relationship?
Have you read the previous seasons? Spike and Dowling are good friends and Spike has opened up to him about his relationship with Buffy. I think Dowling just wants the best for his friend

Have you read the previous seasons? Spike and Dowling are good friends and Spike has opened up to him about his relationship with Buffy. I think Dowling just wants the best for his friend
Yes, I have. I just find it ridiculous that he's always asking about it every single time he sees them.

Yes, I have. I just find it ridiculous that he's always asking about it every single time he sees them.
I just think that's what friends do, especially when they see a once rocky relationship going well. Remember he's a cop, they are naturally nosy :) I'd have to go back to the previous season to see when he spoke about it last.

Buffy Summers

Yataro
Staff member
Sineya
I thought this issue was pretty good. I had to shake my head at Willow still being so flippant about using magick, but I did like that they gave her limits to her power (not being able to teleport the dragon because it was too big). Everyone seemed to have a part of the story, and they all worked together, which I liked.

Spike biting into the demon at the beginning was pretty gross lol, and I was a bit creeped out by Willow hitting on one of her students like a dirty old man, but otherwise I enjoyed the issue.

This is the only issue I have of this season and I am wondering whether to buy more...I liked the set up although I have never bought into the Xander-Dawn relationship, so the less I see of it the better.

Grace

Evil Olive
Black Thorn
This is the only issue I have of this season and I am wondering whether to buy more...I liked the set up although I have never bought into the Xander-Dawn relationship, so the less I see of it the better.
I think it’s better than S9 and S10, though I’m not a huge fan. Not much Xander/Dawn that I remember. Mostly Spuffy and Willow.

Mrs Gordo

We fight termites wherever they may roam!
Black Thorn
It seemed silly to me that loving two vampires is apparently, generally, an indicator for particular awesomeness.
This is so weird. Dawn’s like look at all you have accomplished? You have loved two vamps! Like huh?? How about she died twice to save the world, she shared her Slayer power with all slayers, she lead an army of slayers to beat the first, lead an army of students to defeat an ascension etc etc. All of her long list of accomplishment and that is what CG has Dawn tell her? That line is so weird. This goes in the pile of stupid writing I choose to ignore.

EarthLogic
EarthLogic
How big is that pile now anyway?
thetopher
thetopher
^ You can see it from Spike's silly space Bug-ship, that's how big! :)
This is so weird. Dawn’s like look at all you have accomplished? You have loved two vamps! Like huh?? How about she died twice to save the world, she shared her Slayer power with all slayers, she lead an army of slayers to beat the first, lead an army of students to defeat an ascension etc etc. All of her long list of accomplishment and that is what CG has Dawn tell her? That line is so weird. This goes in the pile of stupid writing I choose to ignore.
I think I read that really quickly, as I don't like Dawn so much (though do prefer her in the comics), but yeah it is so strange. She died to save Dawn but it is more important that she's got it on with vamps? Unless Dawn is trying to lighten the mood and it's a kind of joke that doesn't scan well but would make sense if you had actors delivering the lines?

Black Thorn
It's not Dawn speaking in her own voice. It's the writers throwing in a recap for new readers and using Dawn because she happened to be there. It's one of the reasons why this issue sucked and why I haven't made it through the rest of the season yet.

I think I read that really quickly, as I don't like Dawn so much (though do prefer her in the comics), but yeah it is so strange. She died to save Dawn but it is more important that she's got it on with vamps? Unless Dawn is trying to lighten the mood and it's a kind of joke that doesn't scan well but would make sense if you had actors delivering the lines?
Alternatively - it's what's important to Dawn. It's Dawn's viewpoint and not one shared by the comic? TBH, I'm in the minority - I don't have a problem with any of the comics so it's probably wise to ignore me. ;)

Top Bottom