• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:

1. You really should register so you can chat with us!

2. Fourteen thousand people can't be wrong.

3. Buffy-Boards loves you.

4. See 1 through 3.

Come on, register already!

Discussion of Buffy 12.01 - Released 6/20/18 (Dark Horse)

Mrs Gordo

Bangel extremist...
Black Thorn
It's one year later, and the lives of Buffy and the Scoobies haven't been too eventful for a while--at least as far as fighting demons and the forces of darkness are concerned. But that's all about to change when Dawn and Xander's housewarming party is interrupted by some familiar faces bringing news of familiar foes from the future. Can you say Harth . . . and Fray?

* The return of Fray!

* The Reckoning will be the culmination of all the Buffy seasons!

Source: Dark Horse

Mrs Gordo

Bangel extremist...
Black Thorn
Some spoilers on this issue:
  • the baby is Dawn and Xanders and is named Joyce
  • Buffy and Spike have broken up before the start of the issue
  • Angel and Illyria are a couple.

Mylie

Scooby
Buffy is the same age as I am!!! I don't know why but this makes me happy, lol.

I'm kind of glad that the baby is Dawn and Xander's. I wouldn't call myself a shipper but I have grown to appreciate them together and I'm just glad that Dawn is happy.

I admit I am surprised that Buffy and Spike are broken up and this definitely makes me intrigued with the season. It seems like they wanted to shake things up a bit. I'm all for it.

Not here for Angel/Illyria though... I still think it makes no sense at all. I somehow can't imagine it lasting very long... (though they've apparently been together for a year so I'm probably wrong).

Mylie

Scooby
Ok so I'm trying to make sense of the Buffy/Spike breakup because I was 100% sure that they would never breakup. I feel like Spike is not the kind to break up with the person he's in love with and given Buffy's abandonment issues, it's a bit weird to see her make this decision as well. I just want to know how they came to that decision, especially since it's a mutual one. Don't get me wrong, I'm not against it at all... but I can't make sense of it! I'm hoping we'll learn more about it.

I'm also wondering if it's bad characterization or growth for both characters.

RomanticSoul

Frell Me
Not here for Angel/Illyria though... I still think it makes no sense at all. I somehow can't imagine it lasting very long... (though they've apparently been together for a year so I'm probably wrong).
Hold on. So...

Angel was together with Illyria (freaking Illyria) longer than any woman ever during the run of the shows, including Buffy? WTF? The comics are truly Bizarro World.

thetopher

Member of the Church Of Faith
Sineya
Whelp, its a good thing nobody was really investing in that relationship, or people would be pissed that it suddenly ended off-screen after years of buildup...

I'm not sure why people should care either way; Angel/Illyria is just...it sounds like a joke-pairing that somebody would post on these boards. Did Joss go to my wacky ships' thread for the idea or what?

W

WillowFromBuffy

So, Spike's soul has been maturing in his brain-box for a little below 10 years and now he is able to endure a break up with the love of his un-life without any drama or self-pity. Well, the people who wanted Spike to change more after getting his soul certainly got their wish. Now he is just some bland guy who quotes his old self ironically.

I don't understand why Willow's centre - which sounds like a feel good movement - is such a threat to the US government and Wolfram and Hart. Do they not want women to have smooth skin?

The Ferg

Scooby
Whelp, its a good thing nobody was really investing in that relationship, or people would be pissed that it suddenly ended off-screen after years of buildup...

I'm not sure why people should care either way; Angel/Illyria is just...it sounds like a joke-pairing that somebody would post on these boards. Did Joss go to my wacky ships' thread for the idea or what?
Why are you subtely spoiling me?

Oh wait, I might have misread that. Is that relationship Angel/Illyria? Did that happen in AS11?

Yep. Joss is definitely involved with the series again.
Is this supposed to be negative or positive?

God, I don't know why I'm even lurking here. Have to wait til 5pm to get my copy.

Last edited:

RomanticSoul

Frell Me
If I was still invested in this show, I would so be hunting down all those pro-Spuffy sites and sit down with some snacks to watch the meltdown. I bet it's hilarious.

Fool for Buffy

I'm just being a big nerd again
Sineya
If I was still invested in this show, I would so be hunting down all those pro-Spuffy sites and sit down with some snacks to watch the meltdown. I bet it's hilarious.
It's the first issue, and most Spuffy fans aren't 4 years old. So meltdown is a little much. We expected problems going in anyway. This is not even close to the worst scenario we imagined.

Mrs Gordo

Bangel extremist...
Black Thorn

It’s more like denial right now.

I sympathize. When they (the writers) did this to me in s8 with Twilight I was concocting all sorts of crazy plots in my head to explain what I was reading. I’m still holding on to hope that some of those theories are right. (Angel has really been dead this whole time and this is a pod!Angel who keeps doing very strange things like sleeping with Hell gods.)

RomanticSoul

Frell Me
It's the first issue, and most Spuffy fans aren't 4 years old. So meltdown is a little much. We expected problems going in anyway. This is not even close to the worst scenario we imagined.
Did I say Spuffy fans are 4 year olds? And since when are meltdowns limited to 4 year olds anyway? And I know it's not the worst case, cause that would be a S8 type deal where the characters are so off the charts OOC for a nonsensical storyline.

Funny to me either way. All this drama for years about Spuffy this, Spuffy that...when is she gonna say 'I love you.' blah blah blah...as if all these comics are about is Spuffy. And they just unceremoniously break them up in between Seasons, after finally having her say ILY. Too funny. Got my schadenfreude on today so this is fun.

Fool for Buffy

I'm just being a big nerd again
Sineya
I can tell you plenty are invested.
Did I say Spuffy fans are 4 year olds? And since when are meltdowns limited to 4 year olds anyway? And I know it's not the worst case, cause that would be a S8 type deal where the characters are so off the charts OOC for a nonsensical storyline.

Funny to me either way. All this drama for years about Spuffy this, Spuffy that...when is she gonna say 'I love you.' blah blah blah...as if all these comics are about is Spuffy. And they just unceremoniously break them up in between Seasons, after finally having her say ILY. Too funny. Got my schadenfreude on today so this is fun.
You take everything literally. The comment about 4 year olds was a figure of speech. Though I kinda get where you're coming from calling it funny. I think it's pathetic. But so pathetic that if I was on your side of things I may find it kinda funny.

thetopher

Member of the Church Of Faith
Sineya
I can tell you plenty are invested.

I was typing on my sarcastic keyboard.

I mean, I'm not pro-Spuffy or anything but this is just kinda INCREDIBLY cruel in a way. Many relationships best (or at least most memorable) moments are the break-up moments. Buffy pushing a sword through Angel's heart and sending him to hell, Angel (again) walking away out of Buffy's life 'forever' after a heart-breaking sewer talk, Buffy running for that helicopter, Buffy and Spike's hands aflame as the Hellmouth explodes.
These were all- unbiased- iconic moments in the series and all of them mattered to Buffy (and the BotS). And this latest...we didn't even see it. If me never get to see it then what does that mean? That the relationship was less than nothing? That it simply wasn't worth the time or effort? That's...
Okay, I'm gonna say it, that's worse than Twilight because at least Twilight was significant for both parties involved. It was bad (terrible, opening-the-arc-of-the-covenant BAD), sure, but at least it mattered.
This is just cheap and lazy.

Fool for Buffy
Fool for Buffy
lol I should have realized the sarcasm. And I completely agree with your post
Top Bottom