• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:

1. You really should register so you can chat with us!

2. Fourteen thousand people can't be wrong.

3. Buffy-Boards loves you.

4. See 1 through 3.

Come on, register already!

Discussion of Buffy 9.06 "On Your Own - Part 1" Released 2/8/12 (Dark Horse)

Buffy Summers

Yataro
Staff member
Sineya
I liked seeing Wood again, and I realized how much Nikki reminds me of Faith.

Not sure I like where this is going, it's so dark...

Kean

Professional Bangel
Sineya
I hate seeing Buffy doubt her capabilities so much.
You know what I hated even more? That there was no one reminding her of all that she is capable of and to not sell herself short. Regardless of whatever choice she makes, reading Buffy say that she is terrible at life and no one refuting that... it is one of the worst parts of the comics as far as I am concerned.

brinkster130
brinkster130
[No message]

brinkster130

Riley's BFF
Sineya
You know what I hated even more? That there was no one reminding her of all that she is capable of and to not sell herself short. Regardless of whatever choice she makes, reading Buffy say that she is terrible at life and no one refuting that... it is one of the worst parts of the comics as far as I am concerned.
For a second I thought Robin might be the one to remind her of that but then he credited it all to her friends instead.

I know Joss wanted to get on his soapbox about the abortion topic but I think he did it in a really weak way. IMO if he needed Buffy to go the abortion route it should have been because it wasn't right for her and she didn't want a child rather than her suddenly sucking so much that she decided she can't do it.

Kean

Professional Bangel
Sineya
For a second I thought Robin might be the one to remind her of that but then he credited it all to her friends instead.

I know Joss wanted to get on his soapbox about the abortion topic but I think he did it in a really weak way. IMO if he needed Buffy to go the abortion route it should have been because it wasn't right for her and she didn't want a child rather than her suddenly sucking so much that she decided she can't do it.
I completely agree. If anything Buffy seemed to want the child but decided that she is terrible as a person that she couldn't do it. And you know, there is a very strong case for a slayer having a child being the wrong thing to do, but that, ultimately, isn't the reason Buffy gives. I re-read the issue last night and it struck me that there really was a lost opportunity for Buffy to speak to Connor and Angel about this. I suppose Robin does the same job but still, it seems like it was a wasted shot.

And the most annoying thing of all is that this whole tangent is all for naught because she's actually a robot. So they pursued this horrible, hack story and then just abandoned it. It really is some of the worst stuff the show/comic has ever produced.

T
Tofik vampie
Yes, it really sucked

Buffy Summers

Yataro
Staff member
Sineya
If they were going to do an abortion storyline, then they needed to do it, not cop out like this. LAME.

And the scene with Buffy asking Spike to go with her was just so after-school special.

Kean

Professional Bangel
Sineya
If they were going to do an abortion storyline, then they needed to do it, not cop out like this. LAME.
It reminded me of the attempted rape in S6. They copped out of that too. They keep raising this huge issues that have massive social relevance and then it's like they get scared and back away from them. Lame indeed.

Tofik vampie

Townie

And the scene with Buffy asking Spike to go with her was just so after-school special.
And sad thing about this? There was potentially good story there. Not only it raised socially relevant issue but also it was golden opportunity for character growth and change. It would be OK if she would change her mind and decide to give birth, just like it would be OK, if she decide to terminate a pregnancy, as long as this would be her decision. And as long as there would be consequences of that decision and she would growth as a character. But as it stands this whole story was completely pointless and even point they try to make about abortion is moot since she wasn't pregnant at all...

For pity's sake! Star Trek made episode about this in the 80's, why they can't do this same?

Black Eye Guy

Taking over the World!
Black Thorn
I completely agree with the stuff you guys have been saying. They shouldn't bother doing a story that it seems they don't really want to do!

Having Buffy question herself for that reason didn't seem like something Buffy would do.

I hate that she went to Spike, just because he is her yes man, but I hate even more that he didn't try to talk to her about it, you know he would have wanted to say more about how she could handle it, not to turn her off the abortion, but he wouldn't have wanted to see her questioning herself like that, and because he wouldn't want to cross her he just says yes.

It was great to see her talk to Dawn about the pregnancy first.

gite63

Gone
Sineya
I'm reading Angel: Lorne right now, and Angel fights a demon that "eat the souls of unborn babies". In an universe where the soul (to have one) is something so important and so tangible - one can loose it, can be cursed with one, can fight for it - why didn't Buffy think about that even for a second when she decided to do an abortion?

Stake fodder

Soulless
It was interesting to see some more of Nikki's story, and I thought they filled in some details well, while staying true to what we already know of her. Nikki is tough about not expecting special treatment, and it seems that her Watcher was more willing than Giles was initially to stand up to the Council. (A side note is that the vampire she's fighting knows about the test, which implies that he's another who targets Slayers, like Spike.)

I loved Crowley's groovy '70s facial hair! And he was wearing the metal arm-strengtheners that Robin had later, a nice connection. However, I didn't like his idea that Nikki should just go away and live her life. She's entitled to one, certainly, but as long as she lives, no other Slayer can be called, and that might be 60-70 years. So I can see why that would be impossible for her to do, as committed as she is to "the mission." It was nice to see Robin, but it seems like he would understand the problem, too.

I liked Dawn being supportive, and also how it shows how she's grown up. She's not the kid sister from whom Buffy has to hide things.

Why is everyone Spike's therapist lately? First Eldre Koh and then Det. Dowling tell him he should tell Buffy his feelings. This is not my impression of how tough guys spend time together, chatting about their feelings! :cool: Also, I find it hard to believe Buffy doesn't already/still know this (though I know the next issue she claims she didn't), and therefore it's a bit cruel of her to say she wanted to run away with him.

I think they have certainly been teasing Spike as the father, with him rocking baby bugs, and the big belt on Buffy's bed. But if Buffy suspects him, it seems strange that she doesn't even ask him about that night.

I've read ahead, so I know the pregnancy is false, and since others mentioned it above, it doesn't seem like a spoiler. What bugs me about the abortion plot is that it is such a tired old trope: a woman considers it, but then doesn't go through with it for whatever reason (though I admit that the reason this time is not typical). It's formulaic writing, but the writers pat themselves on the back for introducing a Big Serious Topic, while avoiding controversy by playing both sides of it.

Still, I've written a lot about this issue, so I guess I liked it! And I did like the symbolism of Buffy and Spike talking in a literally dark place, when he said that is what Buffy wants of him. I also noted his reflection in the pool, which was probably just a goof, but perhaps water is different than mirrors or glass.

TriBel

Scooby
It's formulaic writing, but the writers pat themselves on the back for introducing a Big Serious Topic, while avoiding controversy by playing both sides of it.
They do but I also wonder whether it's making a point about transhumanism/posthumanism, which is more interesting. Nice post BTW. :) Plus...to what extent are women's minds their own.

Stake fodder

Soulless
They do but I also wonder whether it's making a point about transhumanism/posthumanism, which is more interesting. Nice post BTW. :) Plus...to what extent are women's minds their own.
Please elaborate if you have time! I am finding this season more relatable than the last, with the greater focus on characters than plot.

Top Bottom