• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:

1. You really should register so you can chat with us!

2. Fourteen thousand people can't be wrong.

3. Buffy-Boards loves you.

4. See 1 through 3.

Come on, register already!

Discussion of Buffy 9.07 "On Your Own - Part 2" Released 3/14/12 (Dark Horse)

Okay. I think that you can hardly apply formal logic to this kind of universe, but still.

Since it was Andrew who, according to the solicits, has crafted the new Buffybot, it should be more or less similar to the Buffybot from season 5-6. It doesn't eat. It doesn't pee or throw up. It doesn't drink coffee as Buffy did in #6.

It means that the switch has happened between #6 and #7, most likely several hours before the events of #7, so that Buffy didn't have time to realise that she doesn't need to eat and drink.

Most likely, Andrew has created a robot and transferred Buffy's consciousness into it to preserve Buffy's body intact for the duration of the pregnancy. But, as solicits indicate, something happens to it, and, for a while, Buffy can't get it back.

Which brings a question: what happens to Buffy's body? Buffy's pregnant body. I bet that by the time she gets her body back it won't be pregnant anymore. Her baby will already be born and taken away.

Baby or twins. Future Melaca and Harth.

Icarium

Scooby
Joss has really, really lost the plot. Buffy is a robot but she doesn't know? Seriously Joss? This isn't Dollhouse and robots aren't Actives. Stop recycling your plots!

ladydorotea

Scooby
As I said in the new thread - no longer sure which one allows for spoilers? I think that it is implied that the 'real' Buffy is kept asleep somewhere with her consciousness driving the bot built by Andrew. Likely Andrew did it without her consent - because we have a cover for #10
with 'only you can loose your own body' line
That would fit with the being replaced without knowing it theory.

[MENTION=9316]ladydorotea[/MENTION] - I think we can post our thoughts without spoiler tags here. I put a spoiler warning in the thread description.(If I'm wrong, I hope mods will correct me)

I agree - I, too, think that Andrew did it without asking Buffy. Or, maybe, he doesn't even know about it yet. Maybe it was an accidental consequence of something he did.

[MENTION=8821]Icarium[/MENTION] - I don't think there is a big difference between magic and sci-fi technologies when you use them to shape a plot. And, since Echo never found herself in a robot body, it's not exactly recycling. :)

brinkster130

Riley's BFF
Sineya
No need for spoiler tags in threads that are for a specific issue, but do try and use them in the S9 News thread ;)

Icarium

Scooby
[MENTION=8821]Icarium[/MENTION] - I don't think there is a big difference between magic and sci-fi technologies when you use them to shape a plot. And, since Echo never found herself in a robot body, it's not exactly recycling. :)

Technology or magic is not really the problem here. The plot twist would have been just as dumb if Buffy was a magic cyborg (and for we know she might as well be such a cyborg). It's the premise that is ridiculous - Buffy doesn't realise the body she is currently, ahem, inhabiting is robotic? Seriously? What's next, they summon Giles's spirit into a robotic body and voila - Giels is alive, sort of? Actually, this sounds like a very likely devlopment, come to think of it....

Technology or magic is not really the problem here. The plot twist would have been just as dumb if Buffy was a magic cyborg (and for we know she might as well be such a cyborg). It's the premise that is ridiculous - Buffy doesn't realise the body she is currently, ahem, inhabiting is robotic? Seriously? What's next, they summon Giles's spirit into a robotic body and voila - Giels is alive, sort of? Actually, this sounds like a very likely devlopment, come to think of it....

I admit, Jossverse suggests certain suspension of disbelief. But, apparently, we have to accept that Buffy didn't feel it, that Spike didn't smell it. These details don't bother me.

And - I'd LOVE to see robo!Giles! With an evil chainsaw hand! (I know I'm weird... :)

S
strawberryeve
RoboGiles lol :)

ladydorotea

Scooby

Hmm, I am actually envisioning Buffy lying somewhere with a bionic? helm over her head that reads all of her neural outputs and remotely operates the bot - that would be the only possible way of having her consciousness in a robot. Won't work for Giles - no living brain to read from, so it has to be done the old fashioned way - restore body with some sort of latent magic and port a soul put together from fragments into it.

Kean

Professional Bangel
Sineya

I agree. If this is Buffy's consciousness in a Bot's body, and not a Buffy!Bot programmed to think it is truly Buffy, then I really don't understand how Buffy could think this was her body. Surely she would know? The feeling must be entirely foreign. Sure it looks like her, but it couldn't feel like her, not from Buffy's POV.

Every issue of this comic makes me take it less and less seriously.

VisionGirl

Newly Human
Sineya
Wow, I did NOT see this coming!!

I admit, Jossverse suggests certain suspension of disbelief. But, apparently, we have to accept that Buffy didn't feel it, that Spike didn't smell it. These details don't bother me.
It seems to me that Spike did know it- how much and at what point, I don't know.

And - I'd LOVE to see robo!Giles! With an evil chainsaw hand! (I know I'm weird... :)
Bwa-ha-ha. That'd be awesome!

I know I'll be in the minority, but I kind of like this, it's very intriguing. At first I was thinking, holy crap what if it was a Buffybot from the beginning?! But yeah, that wouldn't make sense. And yeah, I would've been pissed if that had been the case.

tbessie

Demonic Monstrosity
Wow, I did NOT see this coming!!
It seems to me that Spike did know it- how much and at what point, I don't know.

I was thinking that too - he didn't seem THAT surprised that she was a robot.

The only off-note to that idea is, why would he talk to her like she IS Buffy (about his love for her, etc.) if he knew she was a robot? I can only think 1) he didn't know, 2) he suspected but wasn't sure, 3) he knew, but also knows that it's Buffy's soul in the robot, 4) he knew, and the Buffy bot is really just a robot, and he was just practicing or trying it out, since he hadn't had the chance to have this conversation with the REAL Buffy.

It'll be interesting to see what they do with this.

By the way, where were people saying that they knew for sure Andrew had rebuilt the Buffybot? Did the publishers/authors say that, or just hint at it?

- Tim

white avenger

white avenger
Technology or magic is not really the problem here. The plot twist would have been just as dumb if Buffy was a magic cyborg (and for we know she might as well be such a cyborg). It's the premise that is ridiculous - Buffy doesn't realise the body she is currently, ahem, inhabiting is robotic? Seriously?

Well, they managed to pull off pretty much the same thing in "Terminator: Salvation." (Not the greatest of the "Terminator" movies, but not the worst, either) The lead character was some sort of human/cyborg hybrid or a nearly total bionic man, and probably the prototype for the Schwarzenegger T-800 Terminator unit, depending on your interpretation, and he had no knowledge of the fact until catastrophic physical damage revealed all that robotic hardware underneath his living human tissue.

Anca

Potential
It means that the switch has happened between #6 and #7, most likely several hours before the events of #7, so that Buffy didn't have time to realise that she doesn't need to eat and drink.
Actually, I think the switch happened in this issue.

Buffy changed her clothes between:

"Did you called the doctor?", "Yep. Tomorrow"

"Is this all the closet space you have?"

Kairos

Joyous Rebel
Actually, I think the switch happened in this issue.

Buffy changed her clothes between:

"Did you called the doctor?", "Yep. Tomorrow"

"Is this all the closet space you have?"

That's making a lot of sense to me, but - how would she get kidnapped off of Spike's ship? Unless the roaches were part of it? And would that mean Spike is too?

Anca

Potential
That's making a lot of sense to me, but - how would she get kidnapped off of Spike's ship? Unless the roaches were part of it? And would that mean Spike is too?
I think it was Buffy's full aware decision to transfer her conscience into a bot (with Andrew's help and Spike knowing about it). Why? I don't know. Also not to remember that she's in a mechanical body and that's why Spike treats her like she's still pregnant for example. Probably in the next issue we'll find out that the body will be stolen (by Simone).

There's an interview with Scott Allie about the last issue
http://persephonemagazine.com/2012/03/interview-with-buffy-editor-and-writer-scott-allie-part-one/

So, if Buffy is a robot, does this mean that she is definitely not pregnant?

We’ll want to wait till issue #8 is out to really get into that.

Arcad

Potential
Is this what the First Slayer/Underground Pixie meant in “Slayer Interrupted,” when she said Buffy wasn’t the slayer?

She’s a robot!!!
So, Ali confirmed that Buffy was a robot in issue 5?

[MENTION=9865]Anca[/MENTION] - interesting theory. I reread the issue again. I still don't see it happening that way. But you could be right.

Anyway, I feel uneasy with the idea that Buffy could voluntarily delete some of her memories and lose control over her life "for her own good". I think it goes against the ideology of the show (then again, I thought that space-frak was against the ideology of the show, too -- so who knows).

I've got the impression that Spike didn't know about it. But I could be wrong. I asked Jeanty how Spike's reaction to Buffy's artificial arm was described in the script. Maybe his reply could clarify the situation.

[MENTION=11839]Arcad[/MENTION] - I have the impression that Allie simply tried to avoid telling spoilers when he said about the robot. But it's hard to say without hearing the intonation of his reply.

sosa lola

Scooby
I loved all the Spuffy conversations. I loved Spike telling Buffy about his feelings, putting his heart out there, and I love how honest he was with her. His reaction to rejection was understandable and I won't hold it against him. Why should he stick around if Buffy didn't return his feelings? He was not interested in being just friends. He wanted to be with her, she rejected him, time to move on. Not like he had anyone other than Buffy holding his interest in San Francisco.

I can confidently say that this is Buffy, not a robot pretending or thinking it was Buffy. This is the real Buffy trapped in a body of a robot and lost her real body - "Only you can lose your own body!" And I'm sure Andrew was behind it, but I'm not convinced that Spike was in on it.

VisionGirl

Newly Human
Sineya
I really, really hope that Buffy was in on this decision, because if not, it's even more disturbing to me than her having blackout drunk sex. Then again, this whole robot subplot speaks even louder than the abortion decision itself about women's autonomy over their own bodies.

Someone on another forum mentioned Amy Pond, & this does feel like that too me. Which makes me wonder if she's somewhere with her pregnancy developing. What if this body switch goes back further into the season? What if she began the season pregnant? Which means that [MENTION=7585]Kean[/MENTION] could be right- this could be Angel's baby!!

I liked the Spuffy stuff in this issue; more specifically I like the Spike side of it. I've been a little disappointed that up until now it seemed that Spike's role was to follow Buffy around & give her info (a la Angel in BtVS s1). And to me that ignored all of his character development in both AtS season 5 & the IDW comics. So I was very happy to hear him tell her that that's not enough for him, & that he isn't going to settle for that.

Top Bottom