• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:

1. You really should register so you can chat with us!

2. Fourteen thousand people can't be wrong.

3. Buffy-Boards loves you.

4. See 1 through 3.

Come on, register already!

Discussion of Buffy 9.21 "The Core Part 1" - Released 5/8/13 (Dark Horse)

Mischlings

Potential
20435.jpg

Written by Andrew Chambliss, illustrated by Georges Jeanty (I reviewed it here)

I'm glad to see everyone reunited again -- the Trio was integral to the show, and now that they're all back together, there's a chance we can get the chemistry they had back. I'm hopeful, but my optimism is held in check by the knowledge that I had this hopefulness when I was reading the start of Season 9, and look where all of that went.

Also, for the first time, the arc of the series finally makes sense! We know what everyone is doing and why, which was really missing. And Xander? Wow, he's actually going through with what happened at the end of the last issue... I'm just wondering what's going to happen when everyone figures out what he did, which they'll have to at some point.

Here's hoping that they don't go through with the actual going back in time and reversing everything -- I doubt that they will since it would be far too easy from a storytelling point of view, but it's looking like the plan Severin has is going perfectly at this point. Then again, there are a bunch of different ways it can go from here, let's just hope that it doesn't go the way of weird or nonsensical, which I just can't rule out in these comics yet.

sosa lola

Scooby
Read the issue. I'm still confused over Xander telling Buffy about S&S's plan if he intends to work with them, perhaps he's playing for both teams, because his main goal isn't betraying Buffy, but saving Dawn. It's a form of "the end justifies the means." He probably asked Simone to beat him up so that Buffy would just think he's kidnapped – he didn't inform S&S that he will tell Buffy the whole truth about their plan. Obviously he's giving all the info he has to both teams – except the one about him working for both teams – he's not holding anything out on Buffy and Willow, telling them exactly what S&S are looking for and what they're planning to do.

I am disappointed in Xander, however. The way he's going with this while understandable and sympathetic is really twisted, especially with how he's playing with Buffy's emotions just to make her trust him even more. I also feel deeply sad that his undying trust in Buffy in S8 has waned so much. I understand why that happened, but it's just so sad.

It's interesting that Buffy expected Xander to say "yes" to teaming with S&S, which can either be because of the bad blood between them lately or that she understands if Xander agreed. Or maybe both.

Xander's fury over Buffy's question is more directed at himself than Buffy. He is betraying her. And he hates himself for it. You can see how conflicted he is with that muttered "keep trying…" before Dawn woke up. He'll do whatever it takes to save Dawn – after the long list of deaths of the people he loved from #20, he'll make sure he'll give it his all this time and prevent Dawn's death. Even if it meant betraying Buffy and Willow.

Xin Rong

Killed by Dissertation
Wouldn't the best temporary solution here be for Willow to take Dawn back to one of the magical realms she just came from?

makes sense to me but I'm sure there's some reason she can't, like dawn is tied to this dimension or something equally convenient to the plot.

Kean

Professional Bangel
Sineya
I guess it was Xander's turn to be the "evil one." :yawn:

I'm bored to tears with these comics. Every character and story choice feels inexplicably sensational and ultimately, pointless.

B
Buffyverse Fan
seems like one of those instances where doing this without the actor really hurts the story. Xander's turned against Buffy in almost every season, but Nicky's likability & vulnerability helped him pull it off. Here he just seems foolish

brinkster130

Riley's BFF
Sineya
I don't think Xander is really betraying Buffy. Something seemed off - especially how cruel his conversation with Buffy would be if he was just lying to her. I'm guessing a double betrayal is in the works and he'll end up on team Buffy. If not, I don't see how any sort of relationship could survive.

IMO the Spike/Dawn thing is being overdone. Sure he cared for her, but I don't think it's all that believable that the two of them are still close. Dawn certainly wouldn't look up to him in the same way she did before the AR and I doubt they had much of a relationship once she and Xander started dating.

Mischlings

Potential
IMO the Spike/Dawn thing is being overdone. Sure he cared for her, but I don't think it's all that believable that the two of them are still close. Dawn certainly wouldn't look up to him in the same way she did before the AR and I doubt they had much of a relationship once she and Xander started dating.

I think it's quite one-sided, and that's what they're going with. Spike cares a lot about Dawn, and that's why he comes to her. Whether or not she does is kind of immaterial since she doesn't even remember him right now.

Icarium

Scooby
I don't think Xander is really betraying Buffy. Something seemed off - especially how cruel his conversation with Buffy would be if he was just lying to her. I'm guessing a double betrayal is in the works and he'll end up on team Buffy. If not, I don't see how any sort of relationship could survive.

Of course it can survive. Practically every person close to her has betrayed Buffy at some point or another and usually she gets over that way too easy. I wonder just how many times they are going to recycle that particular plot, what's wrong with having some actual new villains instead of betrayal number 76, most likely leading to forced reconciliation number 63?

The plot mechanics are kind of stupid, IMO. Why does Severin need this complicated plan? Can't he just suck the superpowers of the demons who guard the entrance to the Deeper Well?

And of course, the whole disappearing Dawn plot is perfect nonsense, because there is about as much reason for her to disappear than Buffy (who was resurrected through magical means once) to drop dead because of the current lack of magic.

white avenger

white avenger
Since this is, to me, such a totally underwhelming story line, I find myself dwelling on such trivia as "How did Spike get from Jolly Old 'Angel & Faith' back to 'Buffy' so quickly when back in Season 3, Angel said that vampires had to travel by ship to avoid exposure to sunlight.

Did Spike get his spacsce ship back, and just not tell anyone?

brinkster130
brinkster130
ha, I was wondering that too!

brinkster130

Riley's BFF
Sineya
Of course it can survive. Practically every person close to her has betrayed Buffy at some point or another and usually she gets over that way too easy. I wonder just how many times they are going to recycle that particular plot, what's wrong with having some actual new villains instead of betrayal number 76, most likely leading to forced reconciliation number 63?

The plot mechanics are kind of stupid, IMO. Why does Severin need this complicated plan? Can't he just suck the superpowers of the demons who guard the entrance to the Deeper Well?

I guess...but how many times are they just going to forgive and forget the betrayals? It's getting tiresome and it isn't believable. The scoobies aren't best friends anymore - they hardly communicate this season and if Xander really is betraying Buffy and doubting her where Dawn is concerned it should seriously strain their relationship.

ITA about the plot mechanics.

And of course, the whole disappearing Dawn plot is perfect nonsense, because there is about as much reason for her to disappear than Buffy (who was resurrected through magical means once) to drop dead because of the current lack of magic.

Your right, I'd totally forgotten about that.

VisionGirl

Newly Human
Sineya
Oh Xander. :( I'm so disappointed. I was so mad when I thought they were "spoiling" his decision by releasing those preview pages, but boy was I wrong! That wasn't the first time that they spoiled a mislead, you would think I'd learn by now, right? ;)

It really strikes me how the stereotypical male/female dichotomy stands on its head when it comes to Xander. Not because he is "weaker" than Buffy, but because he makes his decisions based on his emotions at that moment: lying to Buffy about Angel in season 2, his relationship with Cordelia, wanting to defend Anya even though she had gone back to her Vengeance Demon ways....

iShower4free

Scooby
I havent read it yet but is it just me or does the pic of willow look a little like Gwenyth Paltrow as Pepper Potts in Iron Man?

iShower4free

Scooby
I wish I could say I was surprised finding out what Xander did but its exactly the type of thing he would do. He is always doing things in the name of whats "right" but which are actually just to make himself feel less useless.

Black Eye Guy

Taking over the World!
Black Thorn
Yeah this decision by Xander seems very in character to me, he's always done what he wanted to, like not telling Buffy about Willow doing the restoration spell, deciding to admit he likes Willow, summoning Sweet and and not owning up to it. He never gets held accountable for it, and I dont think he will this time either if it ends up Dawn is okay and something else goes wrong.

It was nice to see the core back together.

If Spike ends up being the one to save Dawn, that will be kind of interesting to see how if it changes his and Xanders relationship.

Kean

Professional Bangel
Sineya
Well, it was confirmed that Nick Brendon will be part of the writing team for S10 so I'm taking that to mean Xander will have a prominent story next season. Personally, I'm not too keen with unproven writers been giving such roles but meh, this comic does whatever it damn well pleases anyway.

I
iShower4free
Dawn as a giant, seriously? lol And dont get me started on the whole "Twilight" arch :( Make my boy Angel into a fool

Black Eye Guy

Taking over the World!
Black Thorn
Well, it was confirmed that Nick Brendon will be part of the writing team for S10 so I'm taking that to mean Xander will have a prominent story next season. Personally, I'm not too keen with unproven writers been giving such roles but meh, this comic does whatever it damn well pleases anyway.

Yeah I'm the same, I get that it's great PR for Nick to write for the comic from a fan point of view, but the comic Nick did was very different, and he wasn't a writer for the show, that just doesn't fit with me.

Mischlings

Potential
and he wasn't a writer for the show, that just doesn't fit with me.

And the worst story arc of Season Nine came from two writers who did work on the show - honestly, writers going between TV and comics and being good at both are not at all common. (And for the record, I'm talking about the Billy arc - it's just a complete mess that doesn't work on any level)

I know I'm just picking on part of your post, but that was just the part that jumped out to me. I didn't read much of the comic he wrote, so I don't exactly have that much to say about that part of the post.

Anya2012

Floppy, hoppy, bunnies!
Well, I'm glad they haven't forgotten how close Dawn and Spike were (until a certain Buffy episode in season 6 anyway) and Dawn may not remember but Spike hasn't.

An ok issue, I'm still unsure about it though.

VisionGirl

Newly Human
Sineya

But other actors have done some of the other comics (Amber Benson on earlier Buffy comics, and Juliet Landau at IDW), and some of them have been good, so who knows.

And the worst story arc of Season Nine came from two writers who did work on the show - honestly, writers going between TV and comics and being good at both are not at all common. (And for the record, I'm talking about the Billy arc - it's just a complete mess that doesn't work on any level)

But the BtVS writers who participated in season 8 did a good job, so maybe it was just the subject matter/story arc? I dunno, but I so wish that some IDW writers could be brought in for Angel's story, but we know that will never happen. Although I'd love some of the AtS writers to be involved.

Kean

Professional Bangel
Sineya
But other actors have done some of the other comics (Amber Benson on earlier Buffy comics, and Juliet Landau at IDW), and some of them have been good, so who knows.

While I don't believe the standard of these comics has been anything close to stellar, the standard of the non-canon fair was often abysmal. Maybe I am being unfair but actors writing non-canon, tie-in novels and comics is nothing but fic dressed up in canon's clothing, to me.

The only cast member of Buffy that I would trust with writing is Danny Strong, because he has proven himself, and then some.

As always with the comics it comes down to one question for me: would this have happened on the show? And nothing will convince me that Nick Brendon, (Nor Juliet Landua, nor Amber Benson, nor James Marsters), would have been invited into the writing room of the show.

Honestly, every time this kind of thing happens (actors turning writer, writers placing their own passion projects into the verse i.e Espenson and her Billy, non canon characters being made canon, i.e. Beta George, etc.) makes the comics feel a little less like canon.

Black Eye Guy
Black Eye Guy
[No message]
Top Bottom