• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:

1. You really should register so you can chat with us!

2. Fourteen thousand people can't be wrong.

3. Buffy-Boards loves you.

4. See 1 through 3.

Come on, register already!

Discussion of Buffy 9.22 "The Core Part 2" - Released 6/12/13 (Dark Horse)

Buffyverse Fan

* The 28th *
Sineya
Whedonesque rated this issue "awfully bad" :(

One thing I'll agree with is Koh's backstory was very poorly executed. Seriously, one sentence?! Buffy's been wondering about that since early into the season...

Black Eye Guy

Taking over the World!
Black Thorn
Buffy, Xander, and Willow must fight against all odds to get past the mystical council and gain entry to a magical hotspot"”the Deeper Well! New allies are born while old enemies bring the heat. Grave dangers await our heroes at the center of the earth!

Writer: Andrew Chambliss
Artist: Georges Jeanty
Inker: Dexter Vines
Colorist: Michelle Madsen
Cover Artist: Phil Noto
Variant Cover Artist: Georges Jeanty

brinkster130

Riley's BFF
Sineya
I found this issue underwhelming.

There were things that had potential to be interesting but they flew through everything...Koh's backstory, the girl with the red balloon, Zompires entering homes freely, and Xander's betrayal. Everything seemed rushed.

I don't like bashing the art....but a couple times it seemed like they reused old sketches from Last Gleaming and Dawn looked pretty bad with her round face/nose and black lips in a couple panels.

Black Eye Guy

Taking over the World!
Black Thorn
It wasn't great, but mainly because it was a filler issue it set up for whatevers next, so it has to be a bit boring and I agree underwhelming.

Koh's back story was bad, and they should have just left it out and left him a mystery then given him a throw away line like that.

Every line of Billys just annoys me, he reminds me of Kennedy but more annoying (I actually liked Kennedy)

The Zompires entering homes is interesting, we had better get a proper explanation for that!

Willow and Buffy being on the same side and mad against Xander is good, firstly cuz it's been Buffy and Xander against Willow for ages now, and secondly it's good Xander actually got called out on something rather then sweeping it under the rug.

I didn't like the art for d'hoffryns powers, we never seen him have power that looked like that.

---------- Post added at 11:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:50 PM ----------

Oh also trying to build back the best friend Dawn-Spike story is kinda stupid, there's a reason he has to tell stories from season 5, they haven't been friends since then.

Anca

Potential
Smart move Spike (taping your thoughts while still remembering Dawn) I hope it wil have a pay-off

Buffyverse Fan

* The 28th *
Sineya
Seems a lot of criticisms are about the art. As someone who hasn't seen many comics outside of these, it doesn't bother me too much.

I've noticed a lot of contemporary writers mock giving characters too much exposition, as being a sign of a poor writer--using something cheap & easy rather than incorporating plot points into the flow of a conversation. I think that's BS, especially since Joss often drifts into the realm of Shakespearean style.

To me, that's what damaged this issue. Big monologues don't seem possible in this format, where both Xander's betrayal reveal, and Koh's back story needed loads of exposition in the Whedonesque manner.

Cordynharm

Townie
I may be behind because I haven't re-read these issues since they debuted and this might have been explained but, I think when the loss of magic happened and the zompires can now enter homes is just new wise they are registering in the world more as zombies and not vampires so new rules apply. The same way that the new seedling changed the world even more that it changed newly sired vampires again so much that the Vampyr book had to start from scratch

Stake fodder

Soulless
So, Xander betrayed Buffy to save Dawn, and Buffy and Willow fought this big battle to save Dawn. Isn't this all a bit selfish, risking apocalypse for one person?

Koh really is starting to look like a Klingon. "My family was killed...." Demons have families?

I'm not sure Dawn should be drawn quite so grayish. Maybe it's strange to say about a comic, but she just doesn't look realistic. And it's weird when a vampire is the one who looks more alive!

Top Bottom