• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:

1. You really should register so you can chat with us!

2. Fourteen thousand people can't be wrong.

3. Buffy-Boards loves you.

4. See 1 through 3.

Come on, register already!

Discussion of Buffy the Last Vampire Slayer #4 - Released 3/09/22 (Boom! Studios)

Buffy Summers

Yataro
Staff member
Sineya
The Slayer and her allies make one last desperate attempt to bring sunlight back to Earth and send the reigning Evil forces back into the shadows . . . but the loss of Buffy’s powers is proving too much to bear, and even with the help of Spike, the witches, and newly discovered Potential Slayer Thess, she might not make it. Will Buffy be able to hold on long enough to save the world and see her Slayer legacy continue in Thess? Find out in the conclusion to the epic post-apocalyptic series!

Source: Boom! Studios

Angel6

Potential
Sineya
What a let down.

T
thrasherpix
glad I made the right call in dropping this early and only buying one of the issues while reading a few more before making my final decision. They shouldn't be rewarded when far superior fanfic exists for free online.

Plasma

Mistress of the Dark
Staff member
Black Thorn
@Angel6 since this is a discussion of issue 4, what happened at the end of it all? I know the setup of issue 1, but what ended up coming from that.

Please don’t say she died and that Thessaly is some super slayer to lead a new generation.

I reallllly, wanted to like this series but it just didn't live up to its full potential in my opinion. (some spoilers ahead FYI)

4 issues to tell this story wasn't enough. We didn't have time to fully understand what was happening in this new world. Who was still alive and who was not. Buffy and Anya as a friendship didn't hit its full potential and the inclusion of Spike (again) felt forced and just like another Spuffy fan fiction (like, let the girl move on already).

The artwork was great if you can look past how old they made her look. I did like what they were trying to do with the slayer aging deal. Because a slayer has never reached this age before I thought they could have done something really cool with that (but the pay off wasn't that good). The 'vision' moment nearing the end of the issue was also way off for me. I didn't understand why they would want to do that. It sort of defeats the purpose of a slayer (imo). Plus why would they take her slayerness away so she can live a normal life but then have her continue on in the battle between good and evil. That makes zero sense.

I did like seeing Joyce but I think that idea of a slayer moving on could have done with more work.

Yeah, overall... not that good. I think there's probably fan fiction out there that is better than this. =[

Angel6

Potential
Sineya
I reallllly, wanted to like this series but it just didn't live up to its full potential in my opinion. (some spoilers ahead FYI)

4 issues to tell this story wasn't enough. We didn't have time to fully understand what was happening in this new world. Who was still alive and who was not. Buffy and Anya as a friendship didn't hit its full potential and the inclusion of Spike (again) felt forced and just like another Spuffy fan fiction (like, let the girl move on already).

The artwork was great if you can look past how old they made her look. I did like what they were trying to do with the slayer aging deal. Because a slayer has never reached this age before I thought they could have done something really cool with that (but the pay off wasn't that good). The 'vision' moment nearing the end of the issue was also way off for me. I didn't understand why they would want to do that. It sort of defeats the purpose of a slayer (imo). Plus why would they take her slayerness away so she can live a normal life but then have her continue on in the battle between good and evil. That makes zero sense.

I did like seeing Joyce but I think that idea of a slayer moving on could have done with more work.

Yeah, overall... not that good. I think there's probably fan fiction out there that is better than this. =[
I would totally agree with all of this.

Have never been invested in Anya and Buffy’s friendship. Tara obviously never died in this reality which is never even addressed, they don’t even mention Xander probably because of the recent stuff to do with Nicholas Brendan but that’s ridiculous as Xander is a character not NB. And then even more egregiously they rope in Bangel fans by revealing that Angel and Buffy got married only to do a professional job of assassinating Angels character to prop up Spuffy without even showing him on a panel!

So we are first told ‘Angel walked out again’ as if that’s a character trait of his, with no context etc, then later it seems to me it’s heavily implied the reason he walked out was because Buffy was looking older (judging from her surprise that Spike is still interested in her).

I get that they have (stupidly in my opinion) created this totally unoriginal love triangle but they should never put one of the characters down to such an extent to prop up another ship, especially if you are going o tease the other ship in order to rope fans into buying the series.

Honestly I hope the writer of this reads these reviews and realises that playing one Ship off against another is not in any way clever, it’s wholly predictable and rather than elevating the genre it just pushes it into teen soap opera bullshit territory. Utter. Trash.

epimetrius

Townie
I feel like this series as a whole works just a touch better than the mainline BOOM! reboot. Both do kinda rely on you to know who these characters are, but where as the reboot suggests it's a rehash, this one knows you're kind of expecting "Old Woman Buffy," so an assumed familiarity with the source material. However, it kind of waffles on it too; "Is it connected the original show or no? IDK."

Though that may just have to do more with a general annoyance I've had with the BOOM! stuff so far, each series for a different reason.

Faded90

Scooby
What absolute garbage and ended up reducing Buffy’s autonomy yet again to ‘well Spike loves her the most so of course he wins her!’ because how Buffy feels herself doesn’t matter. It’s all about who loves her the most….

Just like the later seasons of the original comics this is basically Spuffy fanfiction where the writers couldn’t give a toss about Buffy as a character

Angel6

Potential
Sineya
What absolute garbage and ended up reducing Buffy’s autonomy yet again to ‘well Spike loves her the most so of course he wins her!’ because how Buffy feels herself doesn’t matter. It’s all about who loves her the most….

Just like the later seasons of the original comics this is basically Spuffy fanfiction where the writers couldn’t give a toss about Buffy as a character
It’s such garbage. I was so angry I couldn’t believe it. It’s like the most creative thing they can think to do is bait the ship wars to drive some Twitter fights and create ‘buzz’.

Faded90

Scooby
The thing that was kind of funny though was the way they talked as if Buffy in this comic is an old woman. Like she’s only a few years older than SMG is now (who looks absolutely fantastic!) and apparently she looks so old Angel couldn’t even tolerate being with her anymore 😂

Angel6

Potential
Sineya
The thing that was kind of funny though was the way they talked as if Buffy in this comic is an old woman. Like she’s only a few years older than SMG is now (who looks absolutely fantastic!) and apparently she looks so old Angel couldn’t even tolerate being with her anymore 😂
It was really heavily implied that was why he left too wasn’t it, total character assassination. After they hooked all the Bangel in with the marriage too. They shouldn’t be able to get away with such poor and frankly disrespectful writing. 😂

Plasma

Mistress of the Dark
Staff member
Black Thorn
@TamsinValencia yes. Dark Horse has lost the license and Boom! has it now. Dark Horse is still around, but they lost the rights to a lot of things. The Predator, Alien, and Star Wars IPs all used to be at Dark Horse but got lost at some point, for example.

Now as for why Boom! puts out mediocre Buffy stuff, I legitimately don’t know. This is the same company that puts out the wonderful Something Is Killing the Children and Once & Future series (among others), so their lack of effort is astounding.

Black Thorn
@TamsinValencia yes. Dark Horse has lost the license and Boom! has it now. Dark Horse is still around, but they lost the rights to a lot of things. The Predator, Alien, and Star Wars IPs all used to be at Dark Horse but got lost at some point, for example.

Now as for why Boom! puts out mediocre Buffy stuff, I legitimately don’t know. This is the same company that puts out the wonderful Something Is Killing the Children and Once & Future series (among others), so their lack of effort is astounding.

Oh I didn't know that. That's really sad. I loved the Dark Horse comics and they were quality.

Top Bottom