• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Discussion of Buffy the Vampire Slayer #1 - Released 1/23/19 (Boom! Studios)

Angel6

Potential
Just finished reading the first issue. Loved the dialogue, I could hear Nicholas Brendon as Xander all the way through. I thought the art was a real step up from anything in the Dark Horse era and I thought there were some really fun Easter Eggs in there. The reference to Wolfram and Hart particularly interested me! Only thing that felt slightly off to me was that Willow definitely wasn’t the shy girl Buffy first meets, and I always quite liked how she grew in confidence over the course of the show. Less opportunity for that arc to play out really!

DeadlyDuo

Scooby
Just finished reading the first issue. Loved the dialogue, I could hear Nicholas Brendon as Xander all the way through. I thought the art was a real step up from anything in the Dark Horse era and I thought there were some really fun Easter Eggs in there. The reference to Wolfram and Hart particularly interested me! Only thing that felt slightly off to me was that Willow definitely wasn’t the shy girl Buffy first meets, and I always quite liked how she grew in confidence over the course of the show. Less opportunity for that arc to play out really!
Have Spike and Dru appeared yet? Can you show pics?

Angel6
Angel6
Spike no, Dru turns up in the last Panel

sosa lola

Scooby
I didn’t like how Xander was written in the preview. I hope the writing for him improves in later scenes.

Willow was written more like her S5 persona.

Angel6
Angel6
Hmm see what you think when you read it, it's very classic Xander to me.

Spanky

I'm came here to chew bubblegum and go off topic.
Black Thorn
That there picture of Dru makes her look like a Gentleman vampire.

DeadlyDuo
DeadlyDuo
Agreed. She looks hideous.

Spanky

Black Thorn
It was not bad. Better than I expected. Joyce is wholly different from the show. I might like the characters on the comic thus far, more than on the show.
I could go without the gratuitous Firefly image though, but whatever.

Grace

Destructo-Girl
Black Thorn
I just read it quickly, and I liked it! I'm looking forward to going back through it tonight when I have more time. The only thing that didn't really work for me was the conversation between Willow, Xander and Buffy on the couch. It just seemed kind of off. But I'm excited to find out who Willow's girlfriend is! (Are we getting Tara? Or an OC? I'd kind of love if it's Amy!) Also, Anya looked so much like Buffy at first that I was confused for a bit!

I think my favorite thing was realizing that all of the blue boxes were Xander's and not Buffy's. (I did understand that correctly, right?) It fit in with the reveal that Xander also spent the summer in LA.

I'm guessing they won't go with Buffy/Willow as a ship, but I was kinda feeling it here:

Angel6
Angel6
Totally agree! I saw that panel and I thought 'Oh Buffy you flirt!'

Spanky

Black Thorn
only thing that didn't really work for me was the conversation between Willow, Xander and Buffy on the couch. It just seemed kind of off.
Totally agree. It was not good. And not really understandable to me based on the prior events.

I initially thought Willow was crushing on Buffy when she made a point of saying her and Xander were not a couple. But I realized it was just on the nose writing.

I didn't get the internal monologue being Xander until you mentioned it. But I wasn't really studying it either. I just thought he was echoing what Buffy was feeling. They shared common ground etc. But now, I'm pretty sure I don't like that it was Xander's inner monologue.

Last edited:
W

WillowFromBuffy

I'm over the moon, and I am so done with Dark Horse. This is exactly the kind of thing I have been hoping for.

It annoyed me that they did not include the Nosferatu poster from the pilot in WttH. It is nice to see a callback to it.

Buffy sleeping on the sarcophagus (is that the right word?) reminds me of her hilarious therapy session with Holden Webster.

Was the banner defaced by the sophomores/seniors or by vampires? Who knows? :p

Anya is the most intriguing character so far. Men and beasts think only of themselves "never of the world." Is this a more moral Anyanka than the one we met in "The Wish"? Did she test that vampire and find him wanting? What did she expect he would do after she gave him that amulet? Is she working with or against Wolfram and Hart?

I was a bit worried about Drusilla, but seeing her here, she looks as demented as always.
I'm excited to find out who Willow's girlfriend is! (Are we getting Tara? Or an OC? I'd kind of love if it's Amy!
Now, don't laugh in my face, but there is a unicorn sticker in Willow's locker, and it is probably there just as an LGBT symbol, however, in the Buffyverse, unicorns only connote to one person ... could ... is it possible?

I like the idea of Amy. I wanna meet Tara the same time Willow meets her. It would be interesting to see Willow fall out with Amy and move on to Tara, as they are very different people.
I think my favorite thing was realizing that all of the blue boxes were Xander's and not Buffy's. (I did understand that correctly, right?) It fit in with the reveal that Xander also spent the summer in LA.
I think the line about him having only the one friend is the clue. Makes you wonder what Xander's secret is. Why does he feel like people can't understand him?

Btw. I think Angel is in the new variant cover. It is paired with a bad ass cover of Spike.

Last edited by a moderator:

Angel6

Potential

I'm over the moon, and I am so done with Dark Horse. This is exactly the kind of thing I have been hoping for.

It annoyed me that they did not include the Nosferatu poster from the pilot in WttH. It is nice to see a callback to it.

Buffy sleeping on the sarcophagus (is that the right word?) reminds me of her hilarious therapy session with Holden Webster.

Was the banner defaced by the sophomores/seniors or by vampires? Who knows? :p

Anya is the most intriguing character so far. Men and beasts think only of themselves "never of the world." Is this a more moral Anyanka than the one we met in "The Wish"? Did she test that vampire and find him wanting? What did she expect he would do after she gave him that amulet? Is she working with or against Wolfram and Hart?

I was a bit worried about Drusilla, but seeing her here, she looks as demented as always.

Now, don't laugh in my face, but there is a unicorn sticker in Willow's locker, and it is probably there just as an LGBT symbol, however, in the Buffyverse, unicorns only connote to one person ... could ... is it possible?

I like the idea of Amy. I wanna meet Tara the same time Willow meets her. It would be interesting to see Willow fall out with Amy and move on to Tara, as they are very different people.

I think the line about him having only the one friend is the clue. Makes you wonder what Xander's secret is. Why does he feel like people can't understand him?

Btw. I think Angel is in the new variant cover. It is paired with a bad ass cover of Spike.
Hmmm doesn't really look like Angel to me....

Grace

Destructo-Girl
Black Thorn
Oh, god, don't get me excited like this!!

Yeah, now I'm really looking forward to finding out more about Xander!

Angel6

Potential
So no Oz then?
Unless he is her first boyfriend? They could switch it round, she could fall in love with him after Tara leaves.

HowiMetdaSlayer
HowiMetdaSlayer
interesting idea. Duubt it will happen, though
DayDreamer27
DayDreamer27
I'd love that! I loved Willow & Oz. But I doubt it's the case. if anything, they're just removing the controversy of the previous series by having Willow know for a fact early on that she prefers women. Rather than is she gay or bi because she was i.
S Rou
S Rou
I doubt that will happen. Generally, it's extremely taboo to make a character go from gay to straight for obvious reasons. It involves so many negative things the LGBT community already endures (family rejection, conversion therapy, etc.)

Foxy

I am cookie dough!
Sineya
Okay I just got a super legal link from someone and I have to say that I really enjoyed the pacing. A lot of things happened and the dialogue was solid. I think Xander was really well done.

I feel like the theme of mental health will be a focus in this... season? Idk how to call it. You had Xander's post and Buffy complaining about being exhausted.

I do wonder why they made Buffy have a job though? Maybe they will go somewhere with this, but I don't really get it.

Then, my only issue was Joyce. I really hope they won't make her a perfect mom, because that was why I liked Joyce so much. Can't wait for the next issue!

Does anyone know how many issues have been announced? Are they going to do seasons? I'm curious how they will approach this.

Foxy

I am cookie dough!
Sineya
Unless he is her first boyfriend? They could switch it round, she could fall in love with him after Tara leaves.
I highly doubt they would do that. While it is possible in real life, a lot of people will complain about turning her straight, as it is a common trope with lesbian characters.

They either die or become straight. So, nah don't think so.

HowiMetdaSlayer
HowiMetdaSlayer
they could have her be bi

Foxy

I am cookie dough!
Sineya
@HowiMetdaSlayer I'd like her to be bi, but doubt it. It seems like they are writing her as a lesbian.

I kinda hope they will make her bi, because I love her relationship with Oz. It seems no Oz though, as Oz worked because he was the only one who 'saw' how special she was, when she didn't see it herself. She became self-confident partly because of her relationship with Oz. However, she does seem confident already and seems to have skipped the insecure phase.

But I might be wrong. I love speculating about what's to come :)

Angel6
Angel6
🖤 your so right! That’s what makes the Oz relationship so great.
fauxindigo
fauxindigo
Interesting. They should still have Oz be there at Sunnydale though- even if not with Willow.
Top Bottom