• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Discussion of Buffy the Vampire Slayer #11 - Released 1/8/20 (Boom! Studios)

Buffy Summers

Yataro
Staff member
Sineya
HELLMOUTH TIE-IN! KENDRA THE VAMPIRE SLAYER IS HERE! There's a NEW SLAYER in town - and it's up to TEAM KENDRA to save the day! The all-new team of Willow, Cordelia and Kendra make their First Appearance together to save Sunnydale - but it also might be their last!

Source: Boom! Studios

DeadlyDuo

Scooby
The artwork makes the characters look ugly and psychotic.
The writing is still clunky and very exposition-y.
However, the plot did pick up slightly towards the end.

The artwork makes the characters look ugly and psychotic.
The writing is still clunky and very exposition-y.
However, the plot did pick up slightly towards the end.
Well you're in luck, because it seems as though a new artist will be taking over after the Hellmouth arc is over.

I actually think this crossover has added some much needed room for everyone to breathe. We're starting to see the supporting cast develop now that Buffy and Angel are off on their own, and I'm really liking what we're seeing.

The thing is that this is a reboot. This isn't a continuation, this is the concept of Buffy being interpreted in a brand new way by a brand new creator, so the changes to the original series need to exist. If all of the characters and their dynamics were exactly the same there would be no point for this series to exist other than being a cash grab. And I understand some people may not enjoy Jordie Bellaire's Buffy the Vampire Slayer, but you can just stop reading it instead of complaining every month about something you've chosen to read.

Anyway, I really love Rose! I'm glad that we've been seeing more of her lately, and her dynamic with Kendra is really cute. I'm curious if Kendra is an American here or if she's still Jamaican, but it's fun to see her as an actual character who seems like she's going to be sticking around in a major role.

I don't really like Willow but I love Xander in this reboot, which is a complete opposite of how I felt in the original series. A lot of the shit Xander called Willow out on in this issue felt very accurate, though I did enjoy her attempts to de-escalate the situation. Idk, their relationship just seems a lot more complex here. It's not as sweet and wholesome, but it feels like there's a lot of baggage and I'm excited to see that unpacked over the course of the series.

And Anya coming back at the end really took me by surprise! I didn't expect to see her back for a while after she dipped out.

thrasherpix
thrasherpix
Iv'e dropped it and stopped complaining. Still, I'm not against reboots, I just don't like this one. I check this forum from time to time out of curiosity but nothing has even tempted me to give it another whirl yet.

DeadlyDuo

Scooby
Well you're in luck, because it seems as though a new artist will be taking over after the Hellmouth arc is over.
Hopefully it'll be an improvement, the artwork in this issue was the worst yet..

The thing is that this is a reboot. This isn't a continuation, this is the concept of Buffy being interpreted in a brand new way by a brand new creator, so the changes to the original series need to exist. If all of the characters and their dynamics were exactly the same there would be no point for this series to exist other than being a cash grab.
It practically is a cash grab. Nobody was calling for a Buffy reboot. News about a reboot series has gone extremely quiet and the announcement was met with a very mixed reaction from fans, so much so that the would be writer of the new series felt the need to clarify that they weren't planning to recast any of the old characters.

Also if you're using well loved characters from the original series, even if it's in a new story and setting, then they need to at least resemble the characters in terms of personality even if their circumstances are different. Drusilla in this series is basically IN NAME ONLY. They could've created a completely new character rather than just slapping Drusilla's name on top but the name recognisability sells. People read to see what's being done with their favourite characters, unfortunately some of these "reinterpretations" are complete bastardisations.

Also these comics are relying heavily on the scooby dynamic from the original series. In the comics, Willow and Buffy are awful friends to Xander yet supposedly Willow and Xander are so close that Willow is willing to give some of her soul up for him. That supposed friendship level is from the show because the comics sure as hell haven't shown why Xander and Willow are meant to be friends. Take for example when Xander doesn't show up for the cinema and it is noted to be out of character for him. Willow from the tv series would've hunted him down like a bloodhound in order to make sure he was okay, comic Willow just shrugs her shoulders, bitches about him to Buffy the next day even though it was Willow herself who said it was out of character for him not to show (and in one of the first two issue, it's established that Buffy and Willow are constantly baling on Xander when something better comes up, yet he's the one called "sir-bales-a lot") yet the very next moment Willow is refusing to leave his side despite not giving a crap about him two pages before.

And I understand some people may not enjoy Jordie Bellaire's Buffy the Vampire Slayer, but you can just stop reading it instead of complaining every month about something you've chosen to read.
And as I've said before, it's like being trapped on a train between stations. You want to leave but can't until the train stops at the next station, in this case it's when the story arc is over. The artwork of the first few issues plus Sprusilla's involvement were what lured me in, if neither of those had happened, I probably would've given up by now. I'll wait to see what the new artist is like and what kind of story they're going with, but there is a good chance that once this arc is over that's it for me.

If I want to post a negative review of the comic, I will post a negative review. It's a discussion thread, people are going to have different views. Also people tend to look at reviews to see if something is worth having, it's only fair that they get an equal representation from both sides rather than one side being shut down by the other just because their views are different.

Anyway, I really love Rose! I'm glad that we've been seeing more of her lately, and her dynamic with Kendra is really cute. I'm curious if Kendra is an American here or if she's still Jamaican, but it's fun to see her as an actual character who seems like she's going to be sticking around in a major role.
Though I'm still not sold on the Rose character, there does seem to be more chemistry between her and Kendra than there ever was between her and Willow.

I don't really like Willow but I love Xander in this reboot, which is a complete opposite of how I felt in the original series. A lot of the shit Xander called Willow out on in this issue felt very accurate, though I did enjoy her attempts to de-escalate the situation. Idk, their relationship just seems a lot more complex here. It's not as sweet and wholesome, but it feels like there's a lot of baggage and I'm excited to see that unpacked over the course of the series.
I don't know why Xander keeps getting drawn like an old man rather than a teenager. I really dislike Willow in these comics and their friendship is superficial at best.

And Anya coming back at the end really took me by surprise! I didn't expect to see her back for a while after she dipped out.
That was Anya? I thought it was supposed to be Buffy?

thrasherpix
thrasherpix
The part that bothers me the most is how the friendships just don't make sense as they did in the show. So much more I could bring up, too, but that was the biggest reason why I just couldn't keep up with it.
Top Bottom