• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Discussion of Buffy the Vampire Slayer #14 - Released 4/1/20 (Boom! Studios)

Buffy Summers

Yataro
Staff member
Sineya
Kendra The Vampire Slayer-and the all-new Scooby gang-must defend Sunnydale from the aftershocks of the Hellmouth and a new threat that feels very familiar! But can they fill the void left behind by Buffy? And will this issue answer the question of what, exactly, happened to Buffy?

Source: Boom! Studios

Priceless

Scooby
Is this one being released today or has it been put on hold because of Covid19?

Priceless

Scooby
This is the best issue yet. Bellaire has ditched the vampire slaying and focuses totally on the emotional interactions of the characters and it really works. The scenes between Buffy and Joyce are gold and feel as though they've come straight from the tv show. It's great to finally explore Buffy's emotions and reactions to the fallout from the hellmouth opening.

Jenny telling Giles that she's not happy with the way Buffy is treated is also really well done and something we've all mentioned many times - why isn't Buffy paid, why does the council expect her to fight (and die) because of destiny, while Giles gets paid, gets a house etc. Yay Jenny!

The only thing that I wasn't really into was Roffy, though it does work within story. If you don't know anything about the original Robin Wood, it probably works fine.

Multiverses are the way it's going, so I guess we'll all get the version of Buffy and her lover that we like or wanted to see but never did. In this issue we have VampBuffy and VampXander making out, if that's your thing. The last page has Willow walking into another world, which I think is another verses Willow walking into our verse.

The art is actually great too, which really helps in selling the story.

9/10

Last edited:
TriBel
TriBel
Noticed today that it was the 4th best selling comic on Comixology.

TriBel

Scooby
@TriBel Is that because there aren't many comics being produced at the moment?
I dunno. Could have been. I think it was digital copies. I just happened to notice it yesterday.

WillowFromBuffy

To be or not to evil.
I quite liked this one. Don't get the criticism that Bellaire hates Buffy. Lots of good Buffy stuff this issue.

I think Bellaire is better with character than with plot, which became clear during this unnecessary Hellmouth event that I am so glad is over.

Priceless

Scooby
I quite liked this one. Don't get the criticism that Bellaire hates Buffy. Lots of good Buffy stuff this issue.

I think Bellaire is better with character than with plot, which became clear during this unnecessary Hellmouth event that I am so glad is over.
This is the first time Bellaire has concentrated on Buffy and I still think you can see a bit of Buffy-blaming going on, with Rose telling her off for not liking Kendra. It's up to Buffy who she likes and some people just don't click, you can't force a friendship that isn't there. So I think Rose should back off.

WillowFromBuffy

To be or not to evil.
This is the first time Bellaire has concentrated on Buffy and I still think you can see a bit of Buffy-blaming going on, with Rose telling her off for not liking Kendra. It's up to Buffy who she likes and some people just don't click, you can't force a friendship that isn't there. So I think Rose should back off.
It was exactly the same when Kendra and Faith showed up on the show. Everyone liked them except Buffy who felt threatened. The story is about Buffy, so it is Buffy's feelings that gets interrogated the most.

And from Rose's perspective, Buffy may seem a bit whiny. Rose has gone through a lot, too. She didn't lose her best friend, she lost her girlfriend.

Priceless

Scooby
It was exactly the same when Kendra and Faith showed up on the show. Everyone liked them except Buffy who felt threatened. The story is about Buffy, so it is Buffy's feelings that gets interrogated the most.

And from Rose's perspective, Buffy may seem a bit whiny. Rose has gone through a lot, too. She didn't lose her best friend, she lost her girlfriend.
No one liked Kendra on the show, because no one knew her. She had one scene with Xander from what I remember. Do Willow and Kendra even have a conversation?

Buffy says absolutely nothing and straight away Rose accuses Buffy of not liking Kendra and says 'Kendra's really cool . . . you should get to know her better' and then she gets stroppy because she think's Buffy is insinuating she and Kendra are an item. Buffy hardly says anything and Rose jumps to several conclusions. I admit she might be right and Buffy doesn't like Kendra, but that's besides the point 😊

WillowFromBuffy

To be or not to evil.
No one liked Kendra on the show, because no one knew her. She had one scene with Xander from what I remember. Do Willow and Kendra even have a conversation?

Buffy says absolutely nothing and straight away Rose accuses Buffy of not liking Kendra and says 'Kendra's really cool . . . you should get to know her better' and then she gets stroppy because she think's Buffy is insinuating she and Kendra are an item. Buffy hardly says anything and Rose jumps to several conclusions. I admit she might be right and Buffy doesn't like Kendra, but that's besides the point 😊
Giles and Kendra nerd out, which bothers Buffy a whole deal.

I'm sure Buffy can handle some friendly advice from Rose. On the show, Buffy is often unwilling to accept new people (Kendra, Faith, Kathy, Tara, Dawn, etc), sometimes with cause, sometimes not.

Priceless

Scooby
Giles and Kendra nerd out, which bothers Buffy a whole deal.

I'm sure Buffy can handle some friendly advice from Rose. On the show, Buffy is often unwilling to accept new people (Kendra, Faith, Kathy, Tara, Dawn, etc), sometimes with cause, sometimes not.
Rose's advice isn't friendly . . . as shown by the volcano disaster, these two don't work well together.

I agree Buffy isn't a fan of other slayers, but Kendra does try to kill her when they first meet, so the relationship doesn't start out very well. It does improve and I think they end up liking each other a lot. Faith is a traitor so it's understandable that Buffy isn't best friends with her. Kathy is awful. Buffy likes Tara, she just doesn't understand her, and she loves Dawn to bits.

WillowFromBuffy
WillowFromBuffy
I was thinking about first impressions.
Top Bottom