• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Discussion of Buffy the Vampire Slayer #2 - Released 2/27/19 (Boom! Studios)

Angel6

Potential
Just finished reading no.2. I’m enjoying Xander as the POV character quite a bit, I do wonder where their going with it, definitely leading to something. He looks so depressed in that last panel.

Buffy and Robins cute meet was ok? It didn’t really grab me I must say.

Willow and Rose was really nothing more than a brief introduction, and she was super supportive in a way that reflects both Oz and Tara.

Spike and Cordy was an interesting little scene. I’m getting a lot of Season 1 Angel from Spike here. Cordelia seems to be a much more caring and well rounded human than early seasons Cordy in the show, although there is a hint that it’s in order to aid her own college application.

Not hugely intrigued by the Anya-Dru stuff as of yet, but I’m sure that will come.

DeadlyDuo

Scooby
Any scenes of Spike and Not!Dru together?

I’m getting a lot of Season 1 Angel from Spike here.
I think they are merging Angel and Spike into one character.

Angel6
Angel6
That was my fear from the start, which would really suck. Dan Mora’s art is so good, I need to see his redesign of Angel.

Spanky

Zexy Mercenary
Black Thorn
Okay, I must say I did not enjoy it at all. The whole thing felt too exposition-heavy for me, and the way they hamfistedly introduced the characters just didn't feel natural. I don't think I like the changes they made with Cordy either.

Angel6
Angel6
I agree none of the introductions seemed natural in this one. I’m on the fence on Cordy though, I like her new look.

Angel6

Potential

I really love Spikes new design though, I really hope we get to see a modernised version of Angel like this at some point.

DeadlyDuo
DeadlyDuo
Why does Spike have a balloon?

Spanky

Zexy Mercenary
Black Thorn
@DeadlyDuo It was Cordy's balloon. It got away from her and she ran after it into the woods at night because she was afraid of the danger to the environment it may cause.

They are really leaning heavily into the Xander becoming a vampire thing. Wonder if they are really going to go that route.

DeadlyDuo

Scooby
It was Cordy's balloon. It got away from her and she ran after it into the woods at night because she was afraid of the danger to the environment it may cause.
Ok..... so we have eco friendly Cordy. She'd rather die than damage the environment.

They are really leaning heavily into the Xander becoming a vampire thing. Wonder if they are really going to go that route.
Vampire Xander was fun in The Wish but that's because he worked in partnership with Vampire Willow. I can't see them killing Xander off because otherwise who would fill the everyman role on the team?

Does anyone else think the writers are just creating new characters, making them look a bit like the old ones and then slapping the same name on them rather than actually "updating" the original characters?

Spanky

Zexy Mercenary
Black Thorn
Ok..... so we have eco friendly Cordy. She'd rather die than damage the environment.
Yeah, I am not a fan of this Cordy at all.

I can't see them killing Xander off because otherwise who would fill the everyman role on the team?
My guess would be Robin will take the original Xander role if the do make Xander a vampire.

Does anyone else think the writers are just creating new characters, making them look a bit like the old ones and then slapping the same name on them rather than actually "updating" the original characters?
No, I think they are updating the original characters but are doing it in a 'comic booky' way versus a television way. I have no problem with the changing the characters if they retain a modicum of the original. I am not sure that Cordy has done that. Not from what I've seen so far. Everyone else seems to be similar.

Except maybe Anya who they made a demon witch that cannot be killed. But... I don't really care about how they alter the fringe characters.

Angel6
Angel6
I agree, but I feel less antagonised by it than the DH comics because this has no pretension of being canon. This is just gonna be a fun story with some gorgeous art!

Buffy Summers

Yataro
Staff member
Sineya
The summary:

The reimagining of Joss Whedon's groundbreaking series continues as Drusilla, the self-proclaimed Mistress and her pet, Spike, make their debut with their sights set on Buffy! Meanwhile, Giles is determined to teach Buffy about her destiny, responsibility, blah blah...can someone tell him to chill? How bad can it get? Welcome back to the Hellmouth!

Source: Boom! Studios

Puppet

You rocks think you're so smart.
Black Thorn
I liked this one much better than the first, but only because of my theories, which will probably not end up working out in future releases.

I really want this nice Cordelia to be a setup for her being turned into a vampire by Spike. I want that so badly.
The language was a lot better and I kinda like that Joyce has a live-in boyfriend.
I love the role Xander is playing, so far.

DayDreamer27

Potential
I like how the characters look more like the actors than DH ever did. Love the designs.

This actually reafs well. Willow still has some insecurity & vulnerability from the show's HS Willow.

I liked Buffy & Wood's interaction, and I wouldn't mind them developing a relationship. Long as Wood isn't the sacrificial lamb to push Spuffy. lol

Cordellia is really different, but has some hints of show Cords with her confident (or arrogant as Spike wonders) assurance & casual statement that she doesn't care what others think.

Again, everything seems nice & interesting, but I am wary. Lol

Puppet

You rocks think you're so smart.
Black Thorn
Forgot to mention that I do not like the Robin thing, at all! Just irritates me. He was never a worthwhile character on the show, why would I want him back for a second round of disappointment? The fact that he appears to be a romantic interest for Buffy just makes it worse... let the poor girl get someone new, please, instead of dragging her through the same old mud. No Angel, no Spike, no Riley, no Owen, no Scott, no Parker, and no Robin. Just...no... :(

Spanky

Zexy Mercenary
Black Thorn
why would I want him back for a second round
I think because he is one of the few POC of the original series is why they brought him back versus someone new.

Puppet
Puppet
Well, POC or not, he was a boring, badly-written character.

brinkster130

Riley's BFF
Staff member
Sineya
Interesting.....

I'm really liking the artwork. That scary Giles from the second page was awesome.

I'm not sure how I feel about nice Cordy, but I'm here for her interactions with Spike.

Is Xander going to die? Or whatever surprise is suppose to come in issue 4....its going to happen to Xander, right? Not sure what exactly gave me that vibe, but I don't think the character we are seeing now is going to be around long.

Overall, I enjoyed the first issue more. This one just felt really short.

Spanky

Zexy Mercenary
Black Thorn
Is Xander going to die? Or whatever surprise is suppose to come in issue 4....its going to happen to Xander, right? Not sure what exactly gave me that vibe, but I don't think the character we are seeing now is going to be around long.

Overall, I enjoyed the first issue more. This one just felt really short.
I get that vibe too. And yes, the issue felt really short. Seemed like it was a partial one to me. I was like I waited a month for this?

Angel6
Angel6
I always feel like that with individual comic books. I tend to wait for the completed volumes for that reason. Impatience has gotten the best of me with this relaunch though.
Over all i am happy with it. I'm feeling all the characters, the art is a lot better then expected (especially Buffy in the library).

Is Eric meant to look like Angel's older brother?
Cordy is Cordy without being too Cordy.
I've never been a Xander fan but so far i remain hopeful that i can get behind him this time around.
Anya and Dru was maybe a bit of a let down.

The ending was very cut off.

TriBel
TriBel
"Is Eric meant to look like Angel's older brother?" I wondered that. :)

DeadlyDuo

Scooby
@Spanky I don't think so. It's not the whole comic and it's not done for profit. I think it might come under the fair use act.

Spanky

Zexy Mercenary
Black Thorn
@Spanky I don't think so. It's not the whole comic and it's not done for profit. I think it might come under the fair use act.
I had a copywrite infringement suit brought against me once... don't want another! They are expensive.

Top Bottom