• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Discussion of Buffy the Vampire Slayer #3 - Released 3/13/19 (Boom! Studios)

DeadlyDuo

Scooby
Can anyone summarise what happens in this issue or post any panels (particularly ones of Spike and Drusilla?)

How does cordy save Spike? What's the "accidental common ground"?

WillowFromBuffy

Stalky the Clown!
How does cordy save Spike? What's the "accidental common ground"?
She grabs the cable of some fairy lights that have tangled themselves around the bat monster. Then Spike runs up to help her tangle the monster further.

DeadlyDuo

Scooby
She grabs the cable of some fairy lights that have tangled themselves around the bat monster. Then Spike runs up to help her tangle the monster further.
That's it? I thought it was going to be something that they find they actually have in common, not they both turn up to the same place and fight a bat monster.

WillowFromBuffy

Stalky the Clown!
That's it? I thought it was going to be something that they find they actually have in common, not they both turn up to the same place and fight a bat monster.
Pretty much.

Cordelia is already there having coffee with Harmony, when the bat monster attacks. After the scuffle is over, she decides the Scoobies (and I assume Spike, too) are too weird to hang out with.

WillowFromBuffy

Stalky the Clown!
And that's why I think the big earth-shattering event that is to transpire in the next comic actually won't be much at all.
There are some pretty big hints now that Xander might be vamped, such as the panel where he as bat wings and Cordelia says she will kill on of Buffy's friends, while looking at a picture with a crack between Xander (in dark clothes) and Willow.

Spanky

Zexy Mercenary
Black Thorn
There are some pretty big hints now that Xander might be vamped, such as the panel where he as bat wings and Cordelia says she will kill on of Buffy's friends, while looking at a picture with a crack between Xander (in dark clothes) and Willow.
I think it's all red herrings. I was on the whole Xander gets vamped from the first comic because of all of the hints, but now I think it's not. I don't think they have the balls to do it.

DeadlyDuo

Scooby
Maybe Xander is Angel? Both have dark hair, tend to brood alone, have feelings for Buffy.

WillowFromBuffy

Stalky the Clown!
I think it's all red herrings. I was on the whole Xander gets vamped from the first comic because of all of the hints, but now I think it's not. I don't think they have the balls to do it.
I don't really know what I want. I want the new comic have the balls but I think Xander is too important to vamp. He is the only regular guy in the entire franchise, except for Oz, I guess, but Oz is such a peripheral character.

Spanky

Zexy Mercenary
Black Thorn
I don't really know what I want. I want the new comic have the balls but I think Xander is too important to vamp.
That is my position also; I don't know what I want. Because if they were to do it, it could also seem very cheap and gimmicky. It would just depend on how it happens. I think there is too much hype about it now- with them talking about it all the time- for it not have something to do with some of the core characters.

I also think we are getting Faith sooner rather than later. I don't think they would have posted that letter with that response if she wasn't on her way either.

Angel6

Potential
I’m kind of torn on the Buffy/Giles scene. Buffys response was funny, but that moment seemed a bit premature for them.

brinkster130

Riley's BFF
Staff member
Sineya
This issue felt very short....but in the opposite way of the last issue. No much happened in #2, but it seems a lot was left out of #3.

Overall it was ok. The art is by far the strongest part of the comic.

Was Spike really standing face to face with Buffy and not realize she was the slayer?

Anya is playing both sides, but she didn't seem nearly as mysterious/powerful as she did in the earlier issues. Spike and Dru are together, or at least working together.

I kinda liked that Cordy appeared to be aware that something odd is going on and that it was normal for Sunnydale standards.

What if the surprise coming is that Xander turns out to be some sort of vampire or demon hunter?

Um... WTF, really? Really? So Giles is singing in the cafe (unaware that there is a giant bat and said giant bat is broken free, mind you) and then the giant bat attacks and knocks him out. And then Willow shows up with the charm to contain the giant bat because Mr. Giles called her and told her where to get it. I'm sorry but... what? how? And this was BEFORE he even learned that the giant bat was in fact Camazotz and knew how it could be contained. I call a big BS on this.
Yes! This was bizarre. When did they form an official team and start helping Giles? When did Xander and Willow become capable fighters? Because in issue one the certainly weren't. And how did Giles know he needed that specific charm? We don't need every little detail but they sure jumped from on thing to the next without any explanation.

Spanky
Spanky
When did Giles really even MEET Willow (besides in passing) let alone know she could be trusted to retrieve the charm?

white avenger

white avenger
Anyway. I posit that the "power" that Dru is looking for in Sunnydale will be none other than... drumroll... Angel.
The way they seem to be swapping the roles around in this series, don't be too surprised if Angel is the Mayor of Sunnydale and Wilkes is the High School Principal. At least it makes it easier to not confue it with the "real" Buffy.

DagonSphere

Potential
I don't like the Anya and Drusilla stuff, their characters don't feel at all like their original characters other than having the names; and I feel like the storyline is poorly set up, what is Drusilla's goal even? I don't even know what they need Anya for in this storyline even, could have worked as well without her.

I liked that SaintCordelia came to the realisation that all the Scoobies are freaks, though I am still not sold on her personality transformation.

Liked all the other stuff, with Buffy, Willow, Giles and Xander, though not quite sure if I like this Pegasus thing.

Spanky

Zexy Mercenary
Black Thorn
I don't like the Anya and Drusilla stuff, their characters don't feel at all like their original characters other than having the names; and I feel like the storyline is poorly set up, what is Drusilla's goal even? I don't even know what they need Anya for in this storyline even, could have worked as well without her.
I really like the new Anya. Feels like they improved the character. I don't think their storyline is poor at all. I think it's the one thing they really nailed.

Angel6
Angel6
I don’t feel like we really know enough to judge yet, it’s been a real short introduction to a few different things so far. We don’t even really know Buffy, Willow and Xander yet. We probably know Cordelia better than them here!

TeamSpikeUA

Townie
The way they seem to be swapping the roles around in this series, don't be too surprised if Angel is the Mayor of Sunnydale and Wilkes is the High School Principal. At least it makes it easier to not confue it with the "real" Buffy.
Or Dru swaped with Glory and The Power that she is looking for is Dawn

Angel6
Angel6
Welcome to the board!
HowiMetdaSlayer
HowiMetdaSlayer
gawd please no dawn

DeadlyDuo

Scooby
Some of the dialogue felt clunky and exposition-y. I think Spordelia is going to end up as a thing because she called him Spike rather than William. I notice they skipped over the how did Giles have Willow's phone number question.

They really are going with St Cordy

The art is good, you can tell which character is meant to be who. The writing is....okay. It's not great but it's not terrible either. I'm disappointed with what they've done to Dru's character. I'm going to start calling her Dino (Dru in name only). Anya seems pretty generic and flat.

You can see where they're taking dialogue from the show and repurposing it.

It does feel like something's been skipped. Last issue ended with Xander moping on his bed, but now he's fighting the fight as if nothing's happened.

Or Dru swaped with Glory and The Power that she is looking for is Dawn
That's an interesting theory.

Primal Slayer

Did I Fall Asleep?
I kind of feel like Buffy isnt as important in her own series? Everyone is to cool (besides Xander) and having a whole team already help her out by issue 3 is just....to soon. But a giant bat that is a Slayers Pegasus? Not sure if that's already jumping the shark or not.

Top Bottom