• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Discussion of Buffy the Vampire Slayer #4 - Released 4/17/19 (Boom! Studios)

Buffy Summers

Yataro
Staff member
Sineya
This is the issue no BUFFY fan can miss! In the shocking conclusion of the first story arc of the most-anticipated reVAMP of 2019, someone from the Scooby gang must make the ultimate sacrifice. And don't miss the massive first appearance that will have everyone talking!

Source: Boom!Studios

DeadlyDuo

Scooby
Angel is obviously the "massive first appearance".

What story arc? There was a story arc?

Whilst Xander seems the obvious choice for the "ultimate sacrifice" (Willow won't be killed off because she's representing LGBT and the comic doesn't want to be criticised for the "kill your gays" trope), I think that Giles might be killed off. Buffy did have that dream and Giles hasn't really done much so far. They might kill him off and make way for Wesley.

Spanky

Zexy Mercenary
Black Thorn
I think that Giles might be killed off.
Is Giles really a scooby? I think right now there are only three scoobies: Willow, Xander and Buffy. Giles and Buffy's dynamic doesn't feel as close as it did in the show, yet.

DeadlyDuo
DeadlyDuo
He'd be classed as Team Scooby.

Echo126

Townie
I hope they surprise us with this one. I dont want to accurately guess what's happening like we all do on other shows and comics. I guess we'll see soon enough though. But it doesn't really feel like a story arc to me. Idk. I feel like more story needs to be told.

white avenger

white avenger
I there has to be an ultimate sacrifice, I nominate Robin Wood. He's a character who ad, at best, a recurring role in a single Season of the original show. How does that, in any way, qualify him to become a regular in the new series?

DeadlyDuo

Scooby
I there has to be an ultimate sacrifice, I nominate Robin Wood. He's a character who ad, at best, a recurring role in a single Season of the original show. How does that, in any way, qualify him to become a regular in the new series?
He fulfils the race quota.

DeadlyDuo

Scooby
And he was in for, what, two panels? Couldn't really call him a scooby either.
Well if they kill off Xander, then Wood would be working double duty to fill the race quota and the male quota.

Spanky

Zexy Mercenary
Black Thorn
Well if they kill off Xander, then Wood would be working double duty to fill the race quota and the male quota.
Exactly. It would make him more important. Plus there would not be the toxic masculinity of which Xander is often associated. I think Xander will become a vampire but in subsequent episodes they "reform" him.

DeadlyDuo

Scooby
Exactly. It would make him more important. Plus there would not be the toxic masculinity of which Xander is often associated. I think Xander will become a vampire but in subsequent episodes they "reform" him.
So you're saying that Xander may serve the role of vampire teammate? If so, where would that leave Spike?

BUFFY: I'm sorry Mr Spike, but the position of vampire sidekick has already been filled.

Spanky

Zexy Mercenary
Black Thorn
So you're saying that Xander may serve the role of vampire teammate? If so, where would that leave Spike?
Spike will be Angel (maybe not in relation to/with Buffy). Xander will turn into Spike. Especially considering Angel is starting off with his own series from the jump.

DeadlyDuo

Scooby
Spike will be Angel (maybe not in relation to/with Buffy). Xander will turn into Spike. Especially considering Angel is starting off with his own series from the jump.
But Spike and Xander would still be filling the same role of reformed vampire teammate?

Spanky

Zexy Mercenary
Black Thorn
But Spike and Xander would still be filling the same role of reformed vampire teammate?
Not at the start. And Spike wouldn't be so much a teammate as an associate. I never considered Angel a teammate.

DeadlyDuo

Scooby
Not at the start. And Spike wouldn't be so much a teammate as an associate. I never considered Angel a teammate.
It would be a bit off turning Spike into Angel, though admittedly after what they've done with "Drusilla", it wouldn't surprise me if they did go that route.

Spanky

Zexy Mercenary
Black Thorn
It would be a bit off turning Spike into Angel
I don't mean the whole soul nonsense, I just mean he will fill that role, and then in time Xander will fill the Spike role. Maybe Angel makes Xander, thus Xander and Spike are:

I would dig on that! That could be gold is what that could be.

Spanky

Zexy Mercenary
Black Thorn
Well, that kinda sucks. Not another one until June.
It wasn't bad I guess. Robin isn't a slayer, or trained as one, as I thought he might be. And Dru made Spike this go round. That was interesting. I really liked the Spike and Dru scenes for some reason. But, I believe in the first issue I said Xander was going to be turned, and yup. Unless lurky Angel stops it, but the way they presented it doesn't seem as such.

I just don't get the whole 'makes a sacrifice'... More like one of the scoobies is incredibly stupid. I did think Giles would swoop in at the last minute, as he was on patrol, to save the day. And the whole Angel makes his debut is ANTICLIMACTIC to say the least.

DeadlyDuo

Scooby
Any chance someone could do a run through of what happens please, particularly the Spike and Dino scenes?

Taake

Maybe it was taquitos. Maybe he lived for taquitos
Staff member
Black Thorn
This also makes him unexplored and far less developed than the other characters. We know who he is by name, but they have pretty open hands to do with him what they will without having a chorus of ”Spike would never say X” or ”Xander would never do Y” as in the case of the rest of the cast.

His background, his mom, all this will be really interesting to see further explored. Hence, new regular status is a great idea. Also, new blood for the Scoobies which gives us a new dynamic from the start.

Top Bottom