• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Discussion of Buffy the Vampire Slayer #5 - Released 6/5/19 (Boom! Studios)

WillowFromBuffy

Buffering...
This was great. I loved the art. Cordy's blurbs are becoming really funny. The new art is great. We get another slayer dream. There's some nice Willow/Xander stuff, and we get some more insight into Spike and Dru's relationship, which does not seem all that different from how it was on the show.

And it makes total sense for me that Spike was Xander's sire. I won't tag Sosa in case she hasn't read the issue, but I am sure she's excited at the idea, too.

I am curious about what the dream means. Xander point towards a red ord. I've commented earlier that Drusilla seems to be connected with orbs, there being one behind here in the main covers in which she appears. Maybe the vampire are waiting for a moment in the lunar cycle.

And it is nice to see Joyce at her job. Will she be there when Spike and Dru come for the knife?

The only minus is that each issue is so gratingly short.

Angel6

Potential
Just got caught up.

1) new art sucks!

2) lots of new vampire-y lore. Xander seemed to be mostly himself until he vamped our, very distinct shift which is interesting. ‘Soul tie’ rather than orb.

3) I guess Angel did manage to stop them as it’s only half done?!

Cohen
Cohen
Willow and Buffy’s faces during the VampXan scene was completely awful!

DayDreamer27

Potential
Just got caught up.

1) new art sucks!

2) lots of new vampire-y lore. Xander seemed to be mostly himself until he vamped our, very distinct shift which is interesting. ‘Soul tie’ rather than orb.

3) I guess Angel did manage to stop them as it’s only half done?!
For now it doesn't seem Angel did anything. Dru says Spike saved Xander by not finishing the siring process because he saw himself in Xander, then she calls him a fool & compares him and Xander by the fact both are in love with the wrong girl.

So once again, Spike galore. Angel has done nothing yet.

Angel6
Angel6
I mean that just doesn’t make sense he literally says ‘who would I be if I did nothing’ and then smoulders at the camera 😂 what a weird line if he literally does nothing!

Spanky

I'm came here to chew bubblegum and go off topic.
Black Thorn
Angel has done nothing yet.
He has his own comic series. Do you want him to be the Wolverine of the Buffyverse where every story and every comic has to revolve around him? There's only been 5 comics thus far. Why should Angel do anything?

genghiskhan

God doesn't want you
Black Thorn
In this issue they all look so surprised but in a really creepy way. The art is strange but I don't hate it.

DayDreamer27

Potential
He has his own comic series. Do you want him to be the Wolverine of the Buffyverse where every story and every comic has to revolve around him? There's only been 5 comics thus far. Why should Angel do anything?
Not really. I wanted it to keep him in the Buffy comics with the other characters I liked. Him getting his own series, I didn't ask for & have nothing to do with. I'd be fine if he didn't.

Spike is the Wolverine Publicity character. He'll be in Angel's comic too most likely. They bring him in for the rest of BTVS, the throw him over to Angel's series. Where he didn't need to be. I see the same happening here.

I hated Angel moving away from BTVS in the original show, and hoped the comics would keep him around this time. I liked him with the Scoobies, -other characters I liked. Rather than moving him to a solo with a supporting cast I couldn't be less attached to.

This chapter is great for those who love Spike. For those who don't, his scenes are tiresome. lol Sorry if Spike fans don't wanna here that. But hey, everyone doesn't like the same character.

Last edited:
Spanky
Spanky
But you're comparing apples to oranges. The Buffy and Angel comics have nothing to do with the show.

DeadlyDuo

Scooby
The art is crap. Buffy looks like someone smashed her face into a brick wall and the squashedness stuck, Willow alternates between looking ugly and psychotically weird, Xander looks like a freaking old man, in one panel he even looks like he's suffered a stroke, you wouldn't think he was meant to be a teenager at all. Dino and Spike apparently have floating candles, Spike does not look like JM any more, none of the characters even resemble their original actors any more or sound like them and it sucks.

The writing continues to be poor. I dislike Buffy and Willow. They're horrible friends to Xander, especially Willow. She and Buffy bitch about Xander not turning up, calling him "Captain Xander bails-a-lot" (despite last issue Willow saying that him not turning up was out of character) and that he "was probably too sorry for himself to come in because Robin was there". WHAT THE HELL????? Show Willow would've been like a bloodhound tracking down Xander and creating a timeline of his last movements, comic Willow acts like a bitch and is then a complete hypocrite by being all "Oh no Xander! We're such dear friends despite me not giving a rat's arse about you mere moments ago".

The whole schtick with Robin Wood and Buffy's crush on him and how he's so great is nauseating. The character hasn't even appeared much yet he's already unlikeable because the writers treat him as if the sun shines out of his backside. Evidently he's there favourite character.

Dino's grand master plan is so cheesy, it's like something a 10 year old would come up with. Dru's character has really been screwed over by these comics.

The writing remain eye rollingly poor. Whereas previously it was at least propped up by the artwork, that is not happening anymore because the art looks awful. It's DH standard where if you didn't know who the characters were supposed to be, you wouldn't know who the hell they are because they certainly don't resemble the original character actors in any way shape or form.

I would never pay money for this crap.

Angel6
Angel6
I agree on the way Willow particularly has been written thus far.

Spanky

Black Thorn
The art is crap.
That's the only reason I did not buy it. The story, who is and who isn't getting enough panels doesn't bother me, but when I saw the sample page and that "art" I said nope.

brinkster130
brinkster130
I don't blame you.

redtent

Townie
Did anyone else notice the dolls next to the bed in Spike's and Dru's crypt? Does Drusilla still talk to them? I thought it was an interesting detail.

brinkster130

Riley's BFF
Staff member
Sineya
I sure do miss Dan Mora's art. This new stuff was.......yikes.

So, Angel just watched as Dru left Xander for dead and Spike completed the sire process? Cool.

Giles seems pretty confident that they can reverse what's happened with Xander. Wonder how they will deal with that big change in the mythology....if they can just give any ol' vampire a soul, maybe Buffy shouldn't be out killing them?

My biggest issue is how short the issues seem. What happened with the giant Camazotz? Why didn't we see Buffy go to the magic shop? Seeing her and Anya meet could have been cool. (Or did that happen in the free comic book day issue?) I wish they'd show us more Buffy/Robin interaction if they were going to have them crushing on each other.

Vampire Xander has potential. I hope they show us more of what he was hiding from his friends.

I didn't mind Buffy and Willows negative comments about Xander because they showed how much they cared in other parts - Buffy crying while looking for a vamp to take her shopping, and Willows crying and refusing to leave his bedside.

I liked Cordy's blurbs....she might be my favorite so far. I hope we see more of her.

Why bring him over if he isn't going to do anything? It is misleading to mention him in an effort to get people excited only to not use him in any way.

Spanky
Spanky
You don't blame did? Somebody did? Who!?! ;)

Spanky

Black Thorn
It is misleading to mention him in an effort to get people excited only to not use him in any way.
The whole thing has been misleading. They promise one thing and don't deliver only to say, see it in the next issue.

VisionGuy

Oh Plerr
I did not like this issue. The art was utterly terrible. I do not like the change in the mythology where it's apparently super easy to ensoul a vampire now. I do not like that they completely left out Buffy meeting Anya. Free Comic Book Day comics should not be required reading in my opinion. I did not like that they advertised the crap out of Angel and even put him in the cover for him to not even show up. I did not like the dialogue. It seems super cheesy and cutesy. They are failing hard with the Whedon speak. I just did not like anything about it.

brinkster130
brinkster130
yeah, having an Angel cover was odd.

DeadlyDuo

Scooby
I didn't mind Buffy and Willows negative comments about Xander because they showed how much they cared in other parts - Buffy crying while looking for a vamp to take her shopping, and Willows crying and refusing to leave his bedside.
I disagree. We have not seen anything previously which shows that Willow and Xander have a really deep strong friendship. We've seen her and Buffy cancel plans on him, ignore him, briefly wonder where he is but not follow it up (despite saying that it was out of character), bitch about him about him not being there, now all of a sudden Willow is crying over him as if they're inseparable when she couldn't be bothered to give him the time of day in other issues. Buffy and Willow have cancelled plans on Xander in an earlier issue so why is he the one being nicknamed "Captain Xander bails-a-lot".

It's all very well the writers telling us that Willow and Xander have this deep friendship, yet they've not shown it. Willow and Buffy are pretty shitty friends to Xander when you look at all their interactions so far.

brinkster130
brinkster130
I meant just this issue when I said other parts, but overall you're right. They have not shown us a lot of the Scoobies relationship so far, but what the have can easily be read as negative.

WillowFromBuffy

Buffering...

I think the art is really great. Mora was a little boring. His style is sorta neat and sterile. The new art is more organic. Lopez is great at conveying mood. The characters are very expressive. The frame where Buffy pulls up her jacket could have hung next to a Roy Lichenstein in Tate Modern. The exterior scenes are gorgeous. The world feels a bit more alive. There is much variation in the composition of each frame.

Comparatively: In the first preview of Mora's art, Xander did not move his arms or change his expression for like five frames or something in suspended shock at seeing Buffy slay a vampire (Edit: I went back and counted. It is seven frames spread across 3 pages. 7 frames of suspended animation).

P.S. Mora really went all out on the free comic book issue, though, and I do like him a lot, too.
Why didn't we see Buffy go to the magic shop? Seeing her and Anya meet could have been cool.
You can read it here. The Comic Slayer is a great resource.

Last edited:
brinkster130
brinkster130
thank you!

TeamSpikeUA

Townie
I really hate new art, it's awful! And I don't like that VampireXander know so much about Dru's plan, like vampires have collective intelligence and there no Xander personality at all, only his memory. It's similar like Angel/Angelus, two diffirent personalities. But Spike/William has personality, even in this comicverse!

And some panels really looks like Roy Lichtenstein homage, but panels with actions and mimics are awful

Stanger406

Potential
I absolutely hated the art in this issue! We had such amazing art for the first 4, and then in this issue Willow's eyes looked like they were about to fall out of her head half the time. There was hardly any likeness to the actors most of the time, and Jenny's first appearance looks nothing like her.

I got the impression they are going The Vampire Diaries route, where there is a 24 hour period where the person who has been bitten can either become a vampire or choose to die a human if they don't feed. I feel like there might be a 24 hour rule for tethering the soul to a new vampire to avoid the "why is Buffy killing all vamps and not ensouling them" issue. I do like that there is a greater distinction between the human and the vampire. The show never seemed to get that right...after the person became a vampire it seemed like they were typically the same person, even though it was supposed to be a demon with that person's memories.

I did like the story, though the writing does feel clunky, and the characters don't feel well developed.

Angel6
Angel6
Angelus is very different to Angel, but Spike and Spike are very similar, which I always found quite poor and convenient writing because they didn’t really want to change Spike much.

Allchoseny

Townie
I agree with most of your dislikes... I'm really trying to stick this out and give it a chance. I know the new writers are trying not to rehash what we've already seen on the show... but some of the new changes are kind of throwing me.

Top Bottom