• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Discussion of Buffy the Vampire Slayer #5 - Released 6/5/19 (Boom! Studios)

HowiMetdaSlayer

Occasionally, I am callous and strange 🐶
I sort of like/hate the art in this issue. The environment looks kind of kool, but the people look horrid. 😕 Not sure what the heck is up with this half siring thing? 😏

Spanky
Spanky
It was in the Lost Boys.

Spanky

I'm came here to chew bubblegum and go off topic.
Black Thorn
Hell, half-siring was a thing in Dracula too if I am not mistaken. Went by other names but the same thing.

HowiMetdaSlayer
HowiMetdaSlayer
was referencing Booksmart (see trailer) 😉

DeadlyDuo

Scooby
@HowiMetdaSlayer It's a thing where a person is not fully a vampire until they make their first kill at which point it's irreversible. Half-vampires can be changed back via killing the head vampire.

The thing is the comics have done such a lousy job with the scooby dynamic that I can't buy Buffy and Willow's "upset" over what happened to Xander. They were such crap friends and couldn't seem bothered to give him the time of day, yet all of a sudden Willow is refusing to leave his side and Buffy is determined to do what she can to help him. It makes them look like massive hypocrites.

Angel6
Angel6
That’s a fair comment Buffy and Willow have been dreadful to him so far.

Spanky

Black Thorn
yet all of a sudden Willow is refusing to leave his side and Buffy is determined to do what she can to help him. It makes them look like massive hypocrites.
Or they feel guilty because their ignoring him lead to his death. I don't see where those actions are out of the norm for anyone.

DeadlyDuo

Scooby
Or they feel guilty because their ignoring him lead to his death. I don't see where those actions are out of the norm for anyone.
Because the foundation of the friendship isn't there. This isn't like the show where, say Season 4, Buffy is tied up with the initiative and Willow is busy with Tara and Xander feels a little adrift, then Xander gets vamped and Willow and Buffy feel guilty about not being there. In the comics Willow and Buffy don't give a rat's arse about Xander so their reaction over what's happened to him feels shallow and empty because we've seen nothing to SHOW that these three are friends.

Case in point, Willow and Buffy are bitching about Xander not turning up to the cinema, yet a couple of issues before, they bailed out on him and it was suggested that it wasn't the first times the cancelled plans on him because Xander was going to send a snotty text but changed his mind and decided not to. However, the one time he doesn't turn up (which Willow says is out of character), they're calling him "Captain Xander bails-a-lot".

So Xander doesn't turn up
Willow says it's out of character for him
Does she try and ring him or check up on him in any way to see if he's ok? Nope.
Willow tells Buffy she hasn't heard from Xander at all.
Do either of them try and see if he's ok? Nope.
Do they bitch about him and mock him despite the out of character disappearance and lack of contact? You bet!

I genuinely hope Vamp Xander rips Willow's throat out or at the very least makes a serious attempt to.

Last edited:

Spanky

Black Thorn
Because the foundation of the friendship isn't there.
I don't think you need a foundation of friendship with someone to feel guilt over the death of a schoolmate for which you played a part.

DeadlyDuo

Scooby
I don't think you need a foundation of friendship with someone to feel guilt over the death of a schoolmate for which you played a part.
To the degree that Buffy and Willow are supposedly feeling it, yes you do.

Spanky
Spanky
I'll take your word for it as I've no desire to read the issue.

brinkster130

Riley's BFF
Staff member
Sineya
To be fair they are skipping a good bit in the comics...like we were told that Xander and Willow had been training with Giles but we never saw it. I think we are supposed to assume the Scoobies are all buddies like they were on the TV show.

DeadlyDuo

Scooby
To be fair they are skipping a good bit in the comics...like we were told that Xander and Willow had been training with Giles but we never saw it. I think we are supposed to assume the Scoobies are all buddies like they were on the TV show.
Some things have to be SHOWN. You can't say two characters are best friends when one of them ignores the other. We've had 5 issues where Xander feels upset and lonely whilst Buffy and Willow don't give a damn. They're crappy friends, they've demonstrated they're crappy friends, yet now all of a sudden they care about Xander so much despite the fact they were slagging him off about two panels beforehand. It makes Buffy and Willow either look hypocritical or two-faced.

brinkster130

Riley's BFF
Staff member
Sineya
Some things have to be SHOWN. You can't say two characters are best friends when one of them ignores the other. We've had 5 issues where Xander feels upset and lonely whilst Buffy and Willow don't give a damn. They're crappy friends, they've demonstrated they're crappy friends, yet now all of a sudden they care about Xander so much despite the fact they were slagging him off about two panels beforehand. It makes Buffy and Willow either look hypocritical or two-faced.
Oh I totally think it needs to be shown. That's been one of my biggest complaints so far. I just think the writers are relying on the readers to accept certain things, like the Scoobies forming and working together, rather than giving us details.

DeadlyDuo

Scooby
I just think the writers are relying on the readers to accept certain things, like the Scoobies forming and working together, rather than giving us details.
That's just lazy writing. They're expecting the audience to just accept the scoobies were friends like they were in the show, yet they're also changing show canon eg Dru and Angel's relationship. These comics read like illustrated fan-fiction and not the good kind.

The art was the main draw and propped up the writing but now the art is awful. Willow's facial expressions look weird as hell and I don't buy into her not wanting to leave Xander's side because she cares about him so much when she couldn't be bothered to give him the time of day in the first 4 issues.

I actually want Spike and Dino to win with their nefarious plot because Buffy is really unlikeable, so is Willow.

The writer clearly ships Buffy and Wood, hence why Willow waxes lyrical about how great Wood is. These comics are a Wuffy/Bood fan-fic.

brinkster130
brinkster130
Yeah, it does come off as lazy so far. Shame, because it had potential.

Buffy Summers

Yataro
Staff member
Sineya
I thought this was better than the previous issues, but that's not really saying much. I didn't like the art, except for the depiction of Giles for some reason lol. Agree that we shouldn't be going around ensouling vampires. I did like that they had Spike sire Xander because he say himself in him. But that was pretty much the only good thing of note for me.

Top Bottom