• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Discussion of Buffy the Vampire Slayer #6 - Released 7/3/19 (Boom! Studios)

Buffy Summers

Yataro
Staff member
Sineya
Nothing will ever be the same after the attack on Xander. But with the Mistress Drusilla and Spike closer to opening the Hellmouth, Buffy is out of time to save her friend-and everyone else in Sunnydale!

Source: Boom! Studios

DeadlyDuo

Scooby
What's the difference between this one and the hellmouth comic?

Angel6
Angel6
This comes before, Hellmouth isn’t until October I believe. Hellmouth is the crossover event both are building to

Angel6

Potential
Big issue! Really wonder what the soul tie means for Willows soul, kind of cool that Willow and Xander will be unbreakably linked from now on! A cool new dimension to their bond. Robin felt slightly shoe horned into the issue but intrigued by the end.

Confused by Jenny and Giles conversation, are we to assume Buffy and Giles have had a lot of adventures? He’s speaking like he’s known her for years.

S
Stanger406
Yes!! I thought that too...aren't they have only supposed to have known each other for months at best? I think they met only a few weeks before Buffy met Xander and Wilow.

WillowFromBuffy

Buffering...
Great issue!

Cordy compares Xander to Ferris Bueller (from Ferris Bueller's Day Off), suggesting that he is faking an illness.

Robin is working with the Council. Does that mean Giles is secretly a rouge demon hunter, masquerading as a watcher?

Giles is still super into that whole self reliance thing.

I am really excited about what they are doing with Willow. She's going to have a damaged soul now. What will that mean for her?

Who is the fourth person?

Angel6
Angel6
Is Angel still lurking in the shadows? His soul would be tainted one would assume.

DeadlyDuo

Scooby
I think this is the worst issue yet. No Spino, art still awful, dialogue still clunky and exposition-y. Why are demons agreeing to help instead of trying to murder the crap out of Willow and Buffy? Xander still looks like an old man, Willow is always drawn weirdly. The only bit I even remotely liked was Robin pretending to shoot the bug and posing for a picture in the background. The main problem is that the comics did such a crap job of setting up the scooby dynamic that it's not believable that Willow cares about Xander so much she's willing to use her own soul for the soul tie when she and Buffy were absolute bitches to him in the previous issues.

Black Thorn
It was okay I guess. These issues are so short so not much really happens overall. People's eyes look weird on their faces too.

brinkster130

Riley's BFF
Staff member
Sineya
I liked this issue. It'll be interesting to see what consequences Willow has from becoming the soul tie. Robin working with the Counsil has potential.

@Angel6 I like your guess that the fourth person is Angel lurking.

I still don't like the art, but I will say I liked the coloring of the purple slime scenes.

It's so interesting seeing people complain about the length of the comics. As someone who has read comics for years, I'm actually surprised by how much Buffy manages to fit into each issue and wish things could slow down a bit lmao. Like, the story is just advancing so quickly and I want to spend some more time understanding how characters are feeling and bonding behind the scenes.

As for the art... Mora is a fantastic artist and I really enjoyed his work during the first story arc. Moving on to Lopez, who has such a massively different style, was really jarring in issue 5 but now that I've adjusted I'm really enjoying it. Mora's art is so clean, but Lopez just brings in so much more atmosphere! The characters are so much more expressive, and I am loving the new tone his art brings to the series. It feels a lot more like a horror book now, I can't wait to see more of Lopez moving forward.

I see a lot of people are caught up in the art not resembling the actors, or the characters not behaving the way they did on the show and I'm like... Good? This is a reboot. An alternate universe. These characters are the same people, but they have different life experiences. They behave differently, and they have different roles in the narrative. If the comic was an exact likeness of the actors doing the exact same thing and behaving the same exact way as they did on the show the comic would be a waste of money... I could just watch the show.

I'm so excited to see where this is going! Once (If?) Xander's soul is restored... what then? He's still a vampire, so it's not like he can just go back to school like nothing happened. And Willow's soul is now fractured, which the demon warned could create a darkness within her. What an amazing way to set up Dark Willow if they decide to go that route down the track! And I wonder what it will mean for Willow and Xander to have their souls linked? And then there's the mystery of Robin working for the council. And what's up with Harmony's dreams about the Hellmouth?

I can't wait to see where this all goes. This comic seems to be setting up plot points that could pay off years down the line, like what Claremont did with the X-Men. The comic format may be jarring for fans of the TV show who only got into comics for Buffy, but as a long time comic fan I am so invested into this series it's ridiculous <3

Angel6
Angel6
I’ve been a comics fan my whole life too, but I don’t feel they’ve really taken the time to establish relationships fully! I’m loving it anyway.
S
Stanger406
Yes, I agree that this might be the jump start to Dark WIllow. That was definitely my first thought.

WillowFromBuffy

Buffering...
As for the art... Mora is a fantastic artist and I really enjoyed his work during the first story arc. Moving on to Lopez, who has such a massively different style, was really jarring in issue 5 but now that I've adjusted I'm really enjoying it. Mora's art is so clean, but Lopez just brings in so much more atmosphere! The characters are so much more expressive, and I am loving the new tone his art brings to the series. It feels a lot more like a horror book now, I can't wait to see more of Lopez moving forward.
I couldn't agree more. Lopez is doing a great job, and he is skilled in areas where Mora is lacking. Mora is great, but his style is very clean, as you say, and it is a little flat and stiff, and he sometimes reuses expression way too much (like when Xander remains in suspended animation during the entire first vampire fight in issue 1).

As for it being more like a horror book, Willow being impregnated with the soul tie HR Giger style and later coughing up a semen tadpole was pretty intense.

brinkster130

Riley's BFF
Staff member
Sineya
It's so interesting seeing people complain about the length of the comics. As someone who has read comics for years, I'm actually surprised by how much Buffy manages to fit into each issue and wish things could slow down a bit lmao. Like, the story is just advancing so quickly and I want to spend some more time understanding how characters are feeling and bonding behind the scenes.
I complain about them being short and I really do feel they are too short. I don't mean that nothing is happening or that it's moving to slow, just that we aren't getting enough. Like, it seems they are skipping ahead a lot and not telling us little details. The biggest example is in an earlier issue when Giles mentions calling Willow, it's clear Giles is on board with Xander and Willow helping Buffy and him but we've never seen them interact. We know Buffy is new to Sunnydale, but we never saw the Scoobies form....I wish they would have added a couple pages each issue to show those relationships form.

I complain about them being short and I really do feel they are too short. I don't mean that nothing is happening or that it's moving to slow, just that we aren't getting enough. Like, it seems they are skipping ahead a lot and not telling us little details. The biggest example is in an earlier issue when Giles mentions calling Willow, it's clear Giles is on board with Xander and Willow helping Buffy and him but we've never seen them interact. We know Buffy is new to Sunnydale, but we never saw the Scoobies form....I wish they would have added a couple pages each issue to show those relationships form.
Yeah, that's what I mean. The problem isn't that the issues are too short, they're the same size as any other comic. The problem is that they're cramming way too much story into each issue and need to slow the story down so we can have those character moments.

DeadlyDuo

Scooby
Robin could be working for the Mayor's council rather than the Watchers' council.

jesterjay
jesterjay
So on the Robin front, anyone else blown away they've decided to include Robin Wood as a student in this book?

The Ferg

Scooby
I see a lot of people are caught up in the art not resembling the actors, or the characters not behaving the way they did on the show and I'm like... Good? This is a reboot. An alternate universe. These characters are the same people, but they have different life experiences. They behave differently, and they have different roles in the narrative. If the comic was an exact likeness of the actors doing the exact same thing and behaving the same exact way as they did on the show the comic would be a waste of money... I could just watch the show.
But the problem is that Mora's art already set a precedent for using the original actors' likenesses, and personally, I think it was a great idea to ground the new universe in something that we all understand and have an immediate connection with: the original actors.

On another note, while I much prefer Dan Mora, you're right in that his style was very clean. I had read his work in Power Rangers, which he was perfect for, and it made a little nervous to see if he could fit the tone of Buffy. I was proven wrong, but still, this Lopez is solid. The faces are a little off in some panels, and the eyes are borderline weird, but the proportions, background detail, and sense of space and movement are all solid. I agree that he's going for more of a horror vibe too, which is awesome.

Gingerbread

Townie
Apologies for the late entry here - I’ve finally caught up!
I definitely get what others are feeling with the switch from Mora to López. I personally preferred Mora’s style - but don’t have a problem with the recent art at all, now I’ve had a few issues to adjust. I think they both just have very different approaches to their artwork, which made for a jarring transition at first. This didn’t seem to be the case so much in Angel #0, when three pages of Mora’s work from Buffy #4 lead straight into Gleb Melnikov’s illustrations.
As for the story, I’m hooked.
I had the same thought as @BansheeSerenade about them laying the groundwork for Dark Willow, and I am very excited about that. Part of what has always drawn me to Willow is that she is a good person capable of accessing darkness inside her (the moment in Wild At Heart when she almost curses Oz springs to mind).
I don’t have good feelings about Robin’s intentions. The Watchers’ Council (if that is the Council he’s in contact with) gives me flashbacks of Helpless and all that patriarchal badness. Regardless, he’s intentionally getting close to Buffy and isn’t being honest with her...
Eagerly watching this space.

HowiMetdaSlayer

Occasionally, I am callous and strange 🐶
Were they hinting at a dark/vamp Willow? Even if only a darker magic Willow might be kool. Definitely better than the last few issues. :)

VisionGuy

Oh Plerr
This issue was okay I guess. Still don't like the art. I really like Robin though. Interested in seeing where his character is going.

Top Bottom