• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Discussion of Buffy the Vampire Slayer #7 - Released 8/7/19 (Boom! Studios)

Buffy Summers

Yataro
Staff member
Sineya
With time and options running out quickly, Buffy must turn to the new face in Sunnydale, someone she doesn't fully trust - ANGEL! If you're expecting sparks to fly, you're probably guessing wrong... but fists and stakes just might!

Source: Boom! Studios

DeadlyDuo

Scooby
This issue was all about Willow. Angel never featured, neither did Spike or Dino, Giles has a cameo, Buffy was dream sequence only, Xander at the end.

We get a version of Dark Willow which is essentially Willow if she decided to dye her hair black and wear all black. She lacks substance.

Willow was actually drawn better in the dream sequence than she was in "reality", what gives? It shows the artist can draw a decent looking Willow yet apparently chooses not to and opts instead for some weird looking thing.

Xander is back at school. I'm presuming being a half vampire enables him to go out in sunlight otherwise how is he not constantly bursting into flame? Maybe they're taking The Lost Boys route where half-vampires have to make a kill before they become full vampires.

Xander is still drawn like an older man rather than the teen he is supposed to be.

Did Faith make a cameo? In the dream sequence there was someone who stabbed Willow who didn't look like any of the female characters introduced so far.

Overall, slightly better than last issue but the bar really isn't that high. I felt bored rather than annoyed. My guess is that Willow is going to be the "pet" character for the writers.

TriBel
TriBel
I think they used two different artists - one for the dream sequence, one for the reality sections.

The Ferg

Scooby
I know I was sort of the eternal optimist about Boom Buffy, but I am growing wary.

I mean really, what actually happened in this issue? Willow has a fight with herself inside her mind? Her soul is split in two, and they're having a confrontation. Now sure, the neat visuals and panel layout were a treat, but did it deserve an entire issue? There were pages upon pages of just Willow's face and a couple words. What exactly are we learning here? With the benefit of hind-sight, we already know that Willow has a dark side. This series seems to be really driving this home, in a really obvious way, and that's cool, but again, did we need an entire issue dedicated to learning literally nothing?

There are so many interesting and necessary avenues that this series needs to be exploring, but I feel like, for the sake of something I'm not entirely sure of, they're really taking the lazy route. Why was there a month break between arcs? Why did they pick an ultra-cartoon-y artist, then switch to a radically different style on the second arc? Why did they hire a colorist as the writer (not saying she's doing a bad job necessarily)? Why is there an event happening after only two arcs (I'm still incredibly excited tho)?

And most importantly, why couldn't Willow's little spiritual mind journey have taken up half of this issue, and replace the other half, with oh I don't know, literally anything? Just spitballing here: A day in the life of Xander: half-vampire; an explanation of what the hell being a half-vampire even means; a "normal" monster-of-the-week adventure; high school activities; hanging out at the Bronze; even literally just the gang sitting together and talking (which is sort of what we got at the end of this issue, admittedly).

I liked the parts focusing on Willow and Xander's friendship, but this issue was definitely the weakest and felt like pointless filler when there's so much worldbuilding that they still need to be doing. Like they skipped over the actual interesting stuff of Willow and Xander being soul tied and what that actually means and jumped right to a dream sequence of Willow struggling with the thing we didn't even see happen

NileQT87

Billowy Coat, King of Pain
This was the laziest-drawn issue of all-time. The artist literally got away with using the exact same face drawing (badly drawn, at that) for several pages copy-pasted with slightly different hair (occasionally--and barely that).

Total filler issue, too. Also, false advertising in the blurb, as if they knew that calling it a Willow dream sequence (and teasing a character who doesn't even appear or have anything to do with the plot!) wouldn't sell. Nothing happened in the issue.

At least the Angel comics have a discernible plot with an original baddie and character development that you can actually see on the page that's not relying on memories of how the characters were in the show.

Last edited:

HowiMetdaSlayer

Occasionally, I am callous and strange 🐶
Gah the Willow art (Dream Willow aside) is terrible. Overall liked the issue, though.

The Ferg
The Ferg
Ikr? I was just starting to appreciate Lopez too.

The Ferg

Scooby
Total filler issue, too. Also, false advertising in the blurb, as if they knew that calling it a Willow dream sequence (and teasing a character who doesn't even appear or have anything to do with the plot!) wouldn't sell. Nothing happened in the issue.
The original solicitation itself wasn't accurate at all: "Synopsis: With time and options running out quickly, Buffy must turn to the new face in Sunnydale, someone she doesn’t fully trust—ANGEL! If you’re expecting sparks to fly, you’re probably guessing wrong...but fists and stakes just might! "

The latest press release (July 13) was accurate though: "The Scoobies may have saved Xander’s soul but it means that Willow got mixed up in magic way over her head. And that has consequences, starting with a living nightmare where Willow realizes that the sacrifice she made could mean that she’s lost something important she’ll never be able to recover."

This part was a load of bull on both though: "Artist: David Lopez "

Looks like this issue had other plans until Lopez couldn't finish in time.

Last edited by a moderator:

VisionGuy

Oh Plerr
This issue was absolutely terrible. The whole thing was a dream sequence and we didn't learn anything. The definition of filler. Also, the artist is the worst. I really don't have anything to say that isn't negative so I will leave it at that.

Top Bottom