• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Discussion of Buffy the Vampire Slayer #8 - Released 9/4/19 (Boom! Studios)

DeadlyDuo

Scooby
The artwork still needs improvement, particularly the facial expressions. Some characters look crap. Why the hell was Spike wearing brown trousers?

Drusilla stabs him with a knife which seems to open the seal in the basement. Though I doubt Spike will die, my guess is it signals the death of the Spino relationship. I still strongly dislike what they've done to Dru's character, she's barely recognisable as the multi-faceted character from the show hence the name Dino.

There was more going on this issue than last but that's not exactly a high bar. This is more a lead in to the Hellmouth crossover and a glaringly obvious one at that.

By biggest nitpick about this comic book series as a whole, aside from the art which is a massive downgrade from the first couple of issues, is that the characterisations of characters is crap. They don't even remotely feel like the characters they're supposed to be and the dialogue is so boring and clunky.

I kind of wish the art in the first few issues hadn't been so good, the likenesses to the actors from the show drew me in but now it's like being stuck on a train where you can't leave until it reaches a station.

This comic book series is a massive disappointment and it's a shame because it had potential.

jesterjay

Potential
So, the man in the mask, we're just assuming Angel, right? Anyone else wigged that Xander actually has knowledge and some skill set due to his time as a Vampire?

Stanger406

Potential
So, the man in the mask, we're just assuming Angel, right? Anyone else wigged that Xander actually has knowledge and some skill set due to his time as a Vampire?
Yes, I think we are to assume it's Angel....at least I did.

Also, yes lol. Did we know that Xander had a connection to Dru? I feel like they just threw that in there all of a sudden, and I was like "wait, wtf?" Didn't Spike sire him anyway, so why does he have a connection to Dru? Is it because she brought him near death to be sired?

Can someone remind me why people call Dru Dino on here?

This was a good issue storywise, but I'll repeat everyone else...why do we have to endure this terrible art?! In the Q&A at the back too, they said this artist is continuing into the next arc as well :mad:

DeadlyDuo
DeadlyDuo
Dino- Drusilla in name only

The Ferg

Scooby
I'm actually starting to like and appreciate David Lopez's style. His eye close-ups in particular were great.

Plus, the artist on Hellmouth worked on Go Go Power Rangers last year and although it's obviously not as striking as Dan Mora's style, it's got a similar style and will probably look a little better than this latest arc. Unfortunately for some people, Lopez will continue on the Buffy tie-in.

Overall, I just thought this arc was a little lackluster. After the bombastic opening, I feel like it hasn't really gone anywhere.
EDIT: On another note, why the hell did Boom hire a colorist to write this series?

Angel6

Potential
I thought it was quite a cute first little meeting of Buffy and Angel! And there’s some serious sparks flying between Joyce and Giles which I always liked on the show! I’m enjoying it, the xander thing is weird though especially as he is just attending school events as if everything is perfectly normal.

DeepBlueJoy

Lion Faced Kitteh
For the most part agree with @DeadlyDuo
Been mostly miss than hit since the 1st issue. :(
That is sad. On the whole i was enjoying this far more than the comics from dh. Greed really does ruin everything.
Sounds like bait and switch. Give us something to hook us, then abandon us. Well i think i will get off the train.
I remember Buffy *and* the great comics from the 60s and 70s (i got to read a friend's collection from xmen #1) what a shame!

Top Bottom