• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Discussion of Buffy the Vampire Slayer #9 - Released 11/6/19 (Boom! Studios)

Taake

Prophet of the Lord
Staff member
Black Thorn
Wow, Drusilla looks smoking. Great art there. Like a combination of Drusilla and Lilah, I like it.

If I hadn't known it was the BTVS comic I was looking at, and the library setting was familiar, I would never have recognized either Xander or Giles however. That art looks dreadful.

DeadlyDuo

Scooby
Drusilla is on the cover yet doesn't actually appear in the issue.

"I hear a lot of young people saying their scared to have kids"- Very on point though the excuse normally used is Global Warming and Climate Change.

We basically see what Spike would look like with a moustache (though it actually wasn't Spike).

The art is still terrible. I hate how they draw Willow.

Rose is a bit of a dick, just expecting Willow to know stuff about a subject she doesn't even take because Willow is supposedly a "mega genius" in everything.

Xander and Willow really don't seem to care much about each other despite supposedly being friends.

Giles and Xander are drawn terribly.

The best characters in this were the raccoon and the cat.

Robin lives with his dad.

So the mystery slayer at the end. My guess is either Kendra or Nikki Wood or a race swapped Faith.

Overall, crap writing, crap art.

Black Thorn
This issue was seriously boring, my least favourite so far. And can the artist stop making the characters look like they're on speed? that would be nice.

DeadlyDuo

Scooby
This issue was seriously boring, my least favourite so far. And can the artist stop making the characters look like they're on speed? that would be nice.
The character drawings are awful. I hope these comics are just a limited run and not something that is going to go on for years.

NileQT87

Billowy Coat, King of Pain
I can't imagine these have enough willing buyers to not end up in cancellation sooner rather than later. And it won't be for lack of interest in the Jossverse, but because of utter creative failure. Jossverse comics have a creativity problem, not an audience problem.

The most insulting thing about the Boom! team, same as the reboot, is that they seem to think that the original characters were broken or not good enough for the modern age. The Boom! reimagining keeps feeling like the new team is embarrassed about the original (mostly on the BtVS side), even though it wiped the floor with what they've come up with and failed to develop. They're relying on nostalgia to make anyone care about the characters who barely resemble themselves and have no reason to care about each other if you were to remove all knowledge of the shows from the readership.

While it might seem like a cool idea to imagine a 20-year transplanting of the characters on paper, it's not working like this. And a lot of the decisions are a complete misunderstanding of the characters or just plain not having watched either show in about 20 years and remembering sod all about it. They're writing high school-era characters, but the lead writer clearly only likes the last seasons and doesn't want to put in the effort to get the characters to that point or understand that not all the developments they liked (Willow's nerdiness, insecurity and bisexuality have been erased entirely and the negatives to her power complex because of her past through witchcraft also erased in favor of absurd confidence that feels like wishful thinking of the author--ditto Spike being depicted as having always been good without a soul and never actually villainous) were depicted as positive. There's also a shocking naivety to the idea that the current high school experience is a PC utopia (as if that doesn't itself lead to yet more forms of bullying, but with a new hierarchy) in comparison to the '90s. Cordy's change feels hopelessly disconnected from reality.

They'd be far better off just adapting the old tie-in novels, which are actually great and stunningly in-character (just correct a few comparatively tiny continuity errors here and there) compared to anything the comics have put out practically since the shows ended (they weren't allowed to character assassinate). Actually, I'd love to see that instead. The books were by authors with a solid grasp of original sci-fi/fantasy plotting well beyond just 'character work' (poor as it is), which the comics haven't had in years. The comics have completely lost sight of any of the well-developed horror, fantasy, supernatural and sci-fi elements the shows actually had. Poorly-developed friendships and 'shipping only goes so far without any focus on the actual plot ingredient. The original non-canon comics also had far more actual horror than the so-called official comics and relied on developing original MotWs (some were actually quite creeptastic like A Stake to the Heart).

Last edited:
thrasherpix
thrasherpix
I do wonder how mistaking high school for tumblr--and that this would make them operate with Star Trek ethics--came about because it not only mystifies me, it also mystifies a school teacher I know.
Octavia
Octavia
Im not a comic person, but I loved the old novels and am relieved that others notice the new forms of bullying within the PC world.

WillowFromBuffy

Buffering...
I really loved this issue. It was nice to get some focus on the characters after several plot heavy issues. The characterisation is spot on. None of these scenes are taken from the show, but it feels as though they could have been.

And I love how Xander, Willow and Giles's scenes mirror each other. They are having very similar arguments about identity.

Top Bottom