• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Discussion of Giles 11.01 - Released 2/28/18 (Dark Horse)

Buffy Summers

Yataro
Staff member
Sineya
From Joss Whedon and Erika Alexander comes a series that returns Buffy's Rupert Giles to high school! But this time--as a grown man living in a teenage body--Giles will be a student instead of a teacher. At an inner-city LA-area school, when a mystical influence is detected and teachers start to go missing, Giles enrolls to investigate. What he finds is more than vampires and demons; something unusual and frightening is happening here. If Giles can get through one day as a student, he'll have a chance to find out who, what, and where--but high school is still hell, y'all.

Source: Comixology

Spanky

Sir Spanks-a-lot
Black Thorn
So, is he prematurely aging? I thought he was younger not like long ago. Or was it just like a growth spurt? I remember seeing images and he looked small, now he looks almost grown.

WhyCantiStay

Please, Wesley...
Here's my post from the other thread:
So I've just read the first issue, and my feelings are mixed. I've been hyped for this story, for Joss' return, so it's disappointing to not automatically love it. I honestly found the entire issue really hard to follow. I thought it moved extremely quickly, and there was SO much being thrown at you that it was hard to keep up. While I like the art style, it was really hard to follow what was happening in action scenes, IMO.

That said, this reads like 1/4 of one big story, which it is, of course! It probably will read much better in a trade paperback collection with the following issues. I'm still really intrigued by the plot, and there are some developments here that I did not expect! I feel like I need to reread the issue right away, mainly because I was lost the entire time, and the ending only hinted at a few things I'm confused about.

There's two pop culture references Giles makes, and I laughed out loud. Not because they were funny, but because I could not imagine Giles making them, even in this teen body. The lines themselves were alright, but idk. It makes me question how involved Joss was in the writing process. If I had to guess, I'd say he only was a co-plotter, maybe wrote a line here or there. But I didn't feel Joss' touch here, which makes me sad. Maybe I hyped it up too much in my head, but I just didn't. This felt like another brand new writer trying to do their own thing in the Buffyverse, re: Angel Season 11.

I'm holding complete judgement until the series is finished, because this issue raised SO many questions at once. But right now, like I said, this didn't live up to my expectations. I wanted a character study of Giles, but it feels like we got an overwhelming plot, plus a new character that we're supposed to love because she's super mysterious~, but really she just kind of annoyed me and I'm just confused about her (which might be the point?).

Also, we get a huge info dump from Willow early on, and she's within the camp contacting Giles somehow? Weren't they not able to contact the outside world, or am I remembering wrong?

So, is he prematurely aging? I thought he was younger not like long ago. Or was it just like a growth spurt? I remember seeing images and he looked small, now he looks almost grown.
I think it's just a matter of artistic difference. Rebekah draws him very small framed, but this new style portrays him very lanky. I think he's probably 14 years old? Xander says he should technically be in 8th grade, but is in 9th because he's so smart, and if I'm correct most 8th graders start out as 13 and age to 14 that same school year. So somewhere between 14-15, and I know some 14 year olds who are super tall and look way older than they are! That said, I really do think it's just a matter of two different interpretations of how he appears at that age. You'll see that Giles is "smaller" in Buffy season 11 #12, but this story takes place before that appearance.

Deniwizard

Rogue demon hunter.
There's two pop culture references Giles makes, and I laughed out loud. Not because they were funny, but because I could not imagine Giles making them, even in this teen body.
Flava Flav?
I had to re-read that one because it was so out of character to me! (but I did laugh, lol)

Also:

Giles, sir, what have they done to you? I mean, I get that he's a teen and all but gah! I guess I just miss Adult Giles (hello season 12!)

Anyways, I enjoyed the first issue in the hopes that the story will get better eventually :D

WillowFromBuffy

Extra flamy candles!
This is the most bizarre thing I've read in my entire life. Seriously, how did the franchise fall so low? The writing tries so desperately to be cool and slick, but everything is artificial and stiff in the worst way. All the jokes fall flat. Look up? Got wood? Flava Flav? 99 problems?

The comics have let me down in the past, but I have never read anything so devoid of talent or joy. That must have been the weirdest depiction of bullying since Michael Jackson's music video for Bad.

Mrs Gordo

No one ever mattered. Not like she did.
Black Thorn
Welp I was on the fence about reading this now I’m pretty dead set on not and just reading ya’lls feedback.

...waiting for s12 patiently.

WhyCantiStay

Please, Wesley...
This is the most bizarre thing I've read in my entire life. Seriously, how did the franchise fall so low? The writing tries so desperately to be cool and slick, but everything is artificial and stiff in the worst way. All the jokes fall flat. Look up? Got wood? Flava Flav? 99 problems?

The comics have let me down in the past, but I have never read anything so devoid of talent or joy. That must have been the weirdest depiction of bullying since Michael Jackson's music video for Bad.
I don't wanna roast this issue completely because there is something to like in it (or maybe I'm just determined to enjoy it?), but I can't help but agree with you on everything here.

Welp I was on the fence about reading this now I’m pretty dead set on not and just reading ya’lls feedback.

...waiting for s12 patiently.
I say wait and read the trade paperback. Month to month seems like it's going to be aggravating.

Black Thorn

The comics have let me down in the past, but I have never read anything so devoid of talent or joy.
I didn't think it was *that* bad, but then you didn't read Angel Season 11, did you? Ha! This actually even harder to follow, but I was still intrigued, and I thought the mixtape aspect was fun. In a way, it kind of works for me that the writers are clearly old people trying to be hip, given the setup.

WillowFromBuffy

Extra flamy candles!
I didn't think it was *that* bad, but then you didn't read Angel Season 11, did you? Ha! This actually even harder to follow, but I was still intrigued, and I thought the mixtape aspect was fun. In a way, it kind of works for me that the writers are clearly old people trying to be hip, given the setup.
It is that bad. I could't find a single redeeming quality to it.

The girl writes her name on the roof, just so she can use the same catch phrase when she introduces herself, as when she feeds people to the squid monster.

Why is old man Giles in teen body catfishing this presumably underage girl with the most insane double entendres?

Why are they fighting on a rubber band?

Why did Giles's alcoholic friend need to be there? What is his purpose? Why is Giles so calm about seeing him?

Did Giles go to school in America?

Why is he so nonchalant about discovering the girl is a vampire?

The mixtape idea is interesting, but I need a better comic if I am gonna get into it. I am so annoyed, because I love the franchise and it looks so shiny, and I hate being disappointed like this. A Giles comic was a great opportunity to bring in new readers of the comics.

Last edited:
TriBel
TriBel
"It is that bad. I could't find a single redeeming quality to it". Totally agree. TBH, I had no problem with A11 but this? "Meh" doesn't describe it.

WhyCantiStay

Please, Wesley...
Compared to Angel Season 11, Giles is fantastic. It's a bit all over the place and meh, but Angel was a trainwreck from start to finish. Giles is actually intriguing, true! I'm excited to see where it goes.

Did Giles go to school in America?
I assumed his friend, Addy, was also there because of the weird happenings? But who knows! I hope they explain.

The Ferg

Mine is an evil laugh!
Ugh... I don't really know how to feel about this book... It was at once everything that I hoped it wouldn't be while also just being very, very confusing, in regards to plot, pacing, artwork, panel layout, and characterization. I wanted to love this, but I'm really just feeling kind of... empty? It took me literally 3 attempts to get through it, and while most of that can be blamed for my feeling sick, something by the man himself should not be that hard to get into. If this is really the best work that he can come up with, I can't say I'm too excited for S12. That said, I didn't hate. It had some intriguing moments and characters, and I am definitely giving this thing a full try before writing it off.

Mild dialogue spoiler:
I chuckled at the "where it counts" comment, but then they just took it way too far with the "hard" joke at the end. UGH, I get it. He's a teen. I think Joss might have lost his ability to write a realistic teen character.

When I have a little more time, I plan on going through this issue panel-by-panel and pointing out each little thing that irked me, because OH BOY there was a lot of stuff that irked me.

Spanky

Sir Spanks-a-lot
Black Thorn
it kind of works for me that the writers are clearly old people trying to be hip, given the setup.
I think that the writers are trying to draw attention to how out of touch they are to make up for lack of proper representation of what high schoolers are like.

Blair

Vamp Blair
Sineya
Oh good Lord. Where to begin?

First off, Giles looks like he's 16. He's way too tall to what we're used to from season 10 and 11 (keeping in mind he makes an appearance at the end of 11)
The whole storyline seemed so chunky, like it didn't flow properly.
Giles is way out of character. We've seen him being written in some focus in season 10, and you could tell from child Giles quips it was still Giles- it was believable. This guy? Nope. This isn't Giles at all. And as if he would on purposely be nerdy and be a target to take the bullies off of Blue Girl or whoever it was. What happened to Ripper? Like, Giles does have a back bone!
The dialogue? Ugh. Cringey. Giles would never say anything with innuendo like that. When he said goodbye to Faith previously and ended up getting a hard on, that can be believable. But the word vomit of sexual stuff? Nope.

Wasn't a fan of the mixtape thing. I thought it was lame.

Overall, I'm disappointed as hell.