• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Discussion of Giles 11.02 - Released 3/28/18 (Dark Horse)

Buffy Summers

Yataro
Staff member
Sineya
High school life is a rough go for Rupert Giles-as if being a grown man living inside a teenage body wasn't hard enough. Crushing on each other, Giles and his mysterious new friend, Roux, navigate around the bullies in the hallways while they investigate the school-wide threat and missing staff and students--which they are certain is connected to some kind of demon . . .

Source: Comixology

What they should have written about is how Giles knew the whole time about the Twilight prophecy, how he suspected since pre-s8 that Buffy was the female half of it, how he tried to keep her away from souled vampires even if it meant deceiving her, how he spent months travelling Europe looking for a totem that could kill Buffy if she ascended, how he was trying to neutralize rogue Slayers in case one of them somehow turned out to be the prophesied, how he left everything (tons of money, land, houses, all his possessions, horses, his literature collection) to Faith while only leaving Buffy the Vampyr book.

Mrs Gordo

And then she comes along...
Black Thorn
Aren't they kinda really throwing in the towel and cheating with the whole vamp with hoodie = sun not a problem. I'm just basing this on the art I am not reading this. I just don't feel that the vampire thing is even a big deal anymore. Souls don't seem to matter, sun can be fixed with a hoodie - what is this? The Vampire Diaries? Just give them all rings of amara and call it a day.

thetopher

Member of the Church Of Faith
Sineya
What if somebody wrote a Giles comic and nobody cared?
That's the sense I got reading this; nobody really cares about character or story, its just a muddle of teen romance (badly done) nonsense plot and a smidgen of political commentary (Yay, just what my BtVS comics were lacking...).

The dialogue in this issue seems like its been written by somebody who has read in books that sometimes humans sometimes try to have things called 'conversations', and so has decided- for the first time ever-to have a stab at writing one between two teen characters.

The villain was truly awful. I thought for a moment his 'make people stupider' plot might be a meta-comment on this very comic, but its not that smart.

The Giles/Roux stuff...I HATE it; its unconvincing, rushed and just badly realized in all of its dialogue. I have zero interest in this character and her stupid fuzzy hoodie thing. Ooh, she's two hundred years old... snore! I thought for one brief moment they might make it interesting and have her be a 'new' vamp where they could tweak the soul-canon rules a bit, but nope. Dumb, stupid plot.

So far this is truly much worse that Angel S11. I mean, by a lot.

I'm so glad I'm not alone in my feelings of this story. I felt like I was just being dumb and not following the flow of this story. It is so confusing!! Why is Giles the only one that sees what’s happening in the lunch room? As was already mentioned too, why are vampires sometimes good now just by choice. I know at this point vampires are exposed and following “Harmony’s rules” but REALLY!? Maybe Roux will turn on him in the end, but it doesn’t seem to be heading that direction. I also don’t believe that even with his teenage hormones, that Giles would ever allow himself to fall for a vampire. I don’t dislike the overall story as much as Angel season 11, but I’m not enjoying it very much either.
[automerge]1525113125[/automerge]

Black Thorn
I don't know why Giles name has been stuck on this comic. Nothing about whoever this lead is, is even remotely Giles. After the awful Angel Season 11 it's almost impressive to have something worse released so soon afterwards.

thetopher
thetopher
You're wrong. This comic is great. Roux is the best character evaaar! :P

VCA

Townie
I'm currently reading this issue and MAN is it a M E S S! There's so much going on and the way Giles is written is super out of character.

To a certain degree I get it– he's a teenager, so he's allowed to be a bit more chill than his former adult-self. The problem is, even when he was a teen on Buffy seasons 10 and 11, Giles' speech still reflected his personality. This comic disregards all of that and gives him a bunch of cheesy one-liners that make you forget the character you're reading about is actually Giles.

I'm going to keep on reading and give it the benefit of the doubt, but so far I'm not digging it.

Top Bottom