• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Discussion of Giles 11.04 - Released 5/23/18 (Dark Horse)

Teen-aged Rupert Giles made his return to high school and in the process uncovered a demon underneath the school, and a very-attractive-yet-mysterious girl, Roux. As he prepares for the final showdown with the demon, Giles is troubled by revelations about Roux, and her extracurricular activities that arent the most savory. . .

Source: Comixology

---------------
Well... That was one of the worst Whedonverse comic story I've ever read.

Black Thorn
Well... That was one of the worst Whedonverse comic story I've ever read.
I was really disappointed by #4. I actually enjoyed #3. But I didn't feel the ending delivered. I thought we would get more of a Giles story with relation to Seed. And I wanted an explanation for Blue.

Also, please explain to me how Dawn can open portals over the phone and between two places on Earth, not between dimensions. Does that fit at all with her powers as established earlier in the comics?

I was extremely disappointed. I enjoyed issue three, but 1 and 2 were terrible. I thought it'd all come together in the end, and the whole story would click and actually be great. All of this was based around a fight Giles had with a demon we never heard about until now. We didn't get any type of explanation about Roux, I still don't fully understand what the demon was doing, or why Roux was protecting Blue either (maybe I missed it).

I felt the writing remained confusing for the whole arc, and that the way Giles spoke didn't sound like Giles at all.

thetopher

Member of the Church Of Faith
Sineya
Dire.

Just dire. That this is part of Buffy-verse 'canon' is laughable.
Another super-special vampire that just appears without evident explanation. How utterly boring.

The rest, however, is just run-of-the-mill awful. Giles as a character (since he's not actually a character in this, he more narrates SUPER-Roux's story) deserves better. And anything would be better than this.

For those who want to know nothing of note happens to Giles at all here; nothing that will affect Buffy S12. Advise that you skip this entirely if you haven't already.

thetopher

Member of the Church Of Faith
Sineya
You don't know that.
You're right I guess, It's more a fervent prayer that this whole thing is buried and forgotten about.
Or set of fire, buried and then have the place it was buried festooned with booby traps so nobody will ever find said 4-part mini again. :cool:

WillowFromBuffy

Extra flamy candles!
Here is all the ways I feel this series failed completely.

1. It fails to be the story of a young man living the life of a young person. Giles does not engage in High School life at all, except that silly fight scene with the bullies.

2. It features a character who was a former slave, spends an entire issue on her backstory and then fails to say anything else on race issues.

3. The villain is born from Giles, but they fail to establish him as a proper ideological antagonist to Giles, which shouldn't be too hard, because Giles often comments the state of modern education of the TV show. They bypass the ideological battle and go straight to the punching and the magicing.

4. The language in the first two issues is insane.

5. All the minor characters are a complete waste of space. Blue and Giles's old friend adds nothing of value. They just convolute an exceptionally disjointed story.

I'm really curious what @TriBel is going to think about this issue.
Tribel still thinks it's really good and could blast the verse mythos to pieces. I'm interested to see its relevance to 12. Seriously, what I can't understand is why no-one's picked up on the allusions to the founding documents, not only of a black history/black aesthetic but to America's sense of self. In fact, they're more than allusions - they're overt. The Declaration of Independence? The Sheffield Declaration that preceded it (I'm guessing at this but it fits)? Crow(e)? I'm not American but I saw them. Nor am I an expert in Black writing but (unless Whedon's being really perverse) the references to the BAM and other movements aren't exactly hidden. And does "string theory" not have any relevance? As a literary trope or in relation to the Sci-fi/Fantasy genre? I'm - genuinely - surprised.
@WillowFromBuffy - Sorry but I disagree with every single statement. :)