• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Discussion of "Riley: Commitment Through Distance" - Released 8/18/10 (Dark Horse)

Five

Magical Proficiency Level
I just read this issue and I was really pleasantly surprised. I strongly recommand it, particularly as it was used to let us know more about how Angel became Twilight.

SPOILERS

Of course it's always hard to tell a story in only one issue, and I was so waiting for Sam to die and Riley to go help Buffy to fulfill Sam's "last wish" that I didn't see the time pass.

Some of the Sam-Riley dialogues were a bit cheesy or naive, but some was really touching and well thought.

As for the story, I really liked seeing Angel making his choice of becoming Twilight, I thought it was really clever to use this one-shot to tell us this bit that time wouldn't have allowed to put in the principal series. Now I'm sure that a lot of people (dare I say "Spuffy fans"?) won't agree but I think it was interesting and showed us a little more why Angel made this choice. I for one partially understand it now.

About Riley, I kind of liked it. I thought he and Sam were a bit stupid, going at the target site like that, but oh, well. It was really a nice read, nicer than I would have thought : it really had the "Buffy" feel to it, and I liked the psychology of the two characters.

The bit about Angel talking to Buffy's ex and Buffy's other ex makes me wonder, though... I guess we'll have the answer in two weeks !

VampireJason

Dangel Activist
Whistler being the mystery character was a cool idea, never would've thought about him. As far as all the Season Eight comics go this was decent, not awesome but not awful either, just meh. Felt kinda rushed but I understand only one issue to tell a huge story in. The news at the back was awful, Dark Horse might be stealing Angel away from IDW and taking the Series! Right now it is currently a rumor but if it turns out to be true, I won't buy it. I'll be very, very mad. Sorry about the rant. Anyways as for Riley and Sam... didn't predict any of it, then again I don't really care about Riley I bought the comic because it was part of S8 continuity.

Spikefan31

Effulgent
Black Thorn
So why did Angel become Twilight?

I'd be okay with Dark Horse stealing Angel, but only if they steal Spike too. Otherwise...

VampireJason

Dangel Activist
If Dark Horse does steal Angel... I will Never buy it, never! Even if its "Canon", Sorry, that just makes me furious. Joss has slipped as a Writer. I know I'm in the minority but I enjoy IDW's Angel more than Buffy Season Eight.

As for Angel becoming Twilight, Whistler influenced him. Whistler talks Angel into becoming "Twilight" because it's the only way to save the world. I know, sounds cheesy, that's why i don't want Dark Horse to get their hands on my favorite character.

citiegal17

Potential
If Dark Horse does steal Angel... I will Never buy it, never! Even if its "Canon", Sorry, that just makes me furious. Joss has slipped as a Writer. I know I'm in the minority but I enjoy IDW's Angel more than Buffy Season Eight.

As for Angel becoming Twilight, Whistler influenced him. Whistler talks Angel into becoming "Twilight" because it's the only way to save the world. I know, sounds cheesy, that's why i don't want Dark Horse to get their hands on my favorite character.
Whistler influencing Angel doesn't change anything accountability wise for Angel. This only verifies that Angel choose to do evil intentionally, and he had self serving purposes with the prophetcy attached to it. Saving the world does not justify murder, nothing in Riley one shot helped Angel it just showed how he got there. If anything they ruined Angel for good, its in character for him to do evil as good, and to have good intentions that end in diaster.

Tranquillity

That'll put marzipan in your pie plate bingo
From the Letters Col of this issue:

What's next for the Whedon clan ad Dark Horse?How about a Dollhouse comic written by Jed and Maurissa,who wrote key episodes of the show.and the return of the Angel series to Dark Horse in late 2011,in tandem with our Buffy Season 9 relaunch? I can't wait to hold these comics in my hands.

Scott Allie
Will Dark Horse be getting the rights back to Angel next year?

What will this mean for IDW and their Angel monthly, upcoming Spike monthly and their various miniseries and one-shots?

Chris Ryall posted this at the IDW board.

Hey, everyone--

We'll be addressing this soon, so please bear with us. Thanks, for your patience and your support. Back soon.

Chris
And Brian Lynch commented at Whedoensque.

Covers and solicitations for IDW's Angel books In November - AtS - Whedonesque.com

I have no idea. I may have more info later in the day, but I'm post-production on HOP so I'm kinda insular at this point. I'm just writing the scripts and having it line up with BUFFY season 8. The business stuff, I leave to the business people.
Brian Lynch | August 18, 20:18 CET
This is pretty big news...

Joan the Vampire Slayer

Carpe Spuffy!
Wow, Darkhorse taking Angel one as a full-time character? This is big news. Personally, I'm indifferent, because I don't read the IDW Angel comics. I only read what's canon. But we already heard that Angel and Spike will play recurring roles in Season 9 - so we should have seen this coming. And we also heard that the whole Buffyverse might be blending into one comic. I like this idea, because it greatly reduces the instance of continuity errors and simplifies things.

Keep us updated on the latest news, please!

I bought the Riley one-shot today, but am busy packing to get out of town but I'll read tomorrow and be back with my thoughts. :)

VampireJason

Dangel Activist
It's just for me after the whole Twilight storyline which after reading "Riley" I'm starting to hate it with a passion now, I'm really hoping that Dark Horse and Joss doesn't get his hands on Angel full-time. Angel needs a role other than Buffy's love interest which is all I've seen from Joss so far.

MinwaraYana
MinwaraYana
[No message]

Wesley

Investigator
Actually I must say this is fantastic news. Although I do agree that ATF was superior to Buffy S8, the post-ATF books have been hit and miss (a lot more miss unfortunately).

Think about it this way though guys, finally we can have all the crossovers we've wanted forever. Illyria and Buffy toe-to-toe? Dawn and Spike, Angel and Xander, Giles confronting the Wesley issue.... there is a ton of opportunity when everyone comes back together that I am very much looking forward to.

Joan the Vampire Slayer
Joan the Vampire Slayer
I completely agree, Wes.

VampireJason

Dangel Activist
I guess I'm the only one who's upset about this news (Sigh), but I'll always stand by my opinion. I'm not interested if Dark Horse and Joss are writing it, I like my Angel "Twilight" free actually.

Tranquillity
Tranquillity
You're not the only one - you should see the topic at Whedonesque

mostpotential

Townie
Angel as Twilight has certainly caused some...dissension. And despite my own reservations, I have to say that I have faith in Joss and that what he decides to do with the characters in canon will be best for the characters--it always has been.

That said, I was disappointed in this Riley one-shot. I found the dialogue between Riley and Sam shallow and simplistic, though I appreciated the small gestures that showed the natural intimacy between the two (Riley tucking Sam's tag into her shirt), even if at times it was obvious that that was what they were trying to do. I don't buy that either one of them would agree (at any point in time) to settle down to the farm life...both are too good at what they do and too intent on being the good guy. I agree that strategically, it seems amateur for two highly trained operatives to get caught at that target site--where they could easily have been killed. I also have to wonder how much of their conversation in the dark Twilight overheard; we have to assume he heard it all (including the mention of doing it for Buffy), which means he should have understood that Riley was a double-agent. Does this influence his time with Twilight? Given that this is a one-shot, I don't think we'll ever find out.

Angel's struggle to decide between Buffy and the world struck me as vague. However, true to Whedon style, a major character must make a choice that leads to sacrificing his own happiness; the struggle also told us that Angel's moral compass wasn't completely on the fritz. How the rest of his decisions, following these moments, snowballed into massacres and genocide, I still need to come to terms with.

Can't wait to continue Season 8!

Joan the Vampire Slayer
Joan the Vampire Slayer
Great post, and welcome to the forum!
A

Allycat

This whole IDW/Dark Horse mess is enough to even make me want to come out of retirement :p I prefer Angel @IDW over Buffy @Dark Horse overall, although both series have had individual epic wins and fails. I think the worse thing is that the business side of these comics is affecting the enjoyment some fans get out of the series. And what's worse it's tearing up the community. BB is a pretty nice place, but on places like Whedonesque things have turned quite ugly.

Joan the Vampire Slayer

Carpe Spuffy!
Boy, this news is flying all over the internet. Buffyfest is all over it, I think I've gotten three blasts about it already. All this messiness with IDW/Dark Horse is just such heavy drama. It's not like there hasn't been enough going on with the fandom lately, what with Twilight and everything... *sigh* This is just what we don't need.

I agree with Wesley, though. I'm excited about the idea of both comics merging into one. I am very interested in how - if Angel becomes a full-time character in S9 - they will have Spike, Buffy and him in the same room together without causing drama. Perhaps that's what Joss wants. But in my opinion, this whole love triangle thing is old news. I'd like to see some Spike/Dawn interactions, or some Xander/Spike, or some Giles/Angell, personally.

That said,VampireJason, I get your upset. You prefer Angel on his own series. But the thing you have to understand is that IDW and Dark Horse Angel are the same person. At least merging the two will ellminate all these weird continuity and OOC glitches.

I hope we get a real explaination soon from Allie or Joss.

VampireJason

Dangel Activist
I get what you're saying Joan but... do you like Angel as Twilight?! I know a lot of people don't. I've become one of those people recently. According to Joss, the man who spent 100 years of torment and suffering for the crimes he committed is back to mass murdering? I have a hard time believing that being a die-hard Angel fan. And if Joss does takeover the Angel-line again... I can't even bear to think about it. IDW cares about *Angel*, Joss cares about *Buffy* more. And with the rate Season Eight is going, I'm starting to lose my faith in Joss. Don't get me wrong about this Georges Jeanty is a nice person but I don't like his artwork, too cartoony, I'd hate to see that happen to Angel

Joan the Vampire Slayer
Joan the Vampire Slayer
Of course I hate that they've made Angel Twilight. But what can I do? I admire that you still love Angel. He's dead to me.

white avenger

white avenger
I agree with Wesley, though. I'm excited about the idea of both comics merging into one. I am very interested in how - if Angel becomes a full-time character in S9 - they will have Spike, Buffy and him in the same room together without causing drama. Perhaps that's what Joss wants. But in my opinion, this whole love triangle thing is old news. I'd like to see some Spike/Dawn interactions, or some Xander/Spike, or some Giles/Angell, personally.

If what Allie said recently about Season 9 being shorter (20 months, I believe) but having more than just the "Buffy" title, with all of the titles featuring a single main storyline, and featuring frequent crossovers, Spike, Buffy, and Angel (assuming that IDW does, indeed, relinquish control of Spike, Angel, and the others to Dark Horse) may never all three be in that figurative room at one time, just every pairing possible from the three characters, plus probably Faith, Willow, and maybe even "Ripper" will finally see the light of day.

F

frankie

I was going to quote VampireJason, but since I agree with all his comments here that's a lot of quoting. :) Angel is the far superior comic, to me it feels like a proper and respectful continuation of the show and it's characters. Buffy season 8 is a mess, sorry - just my opinion. I've re-read it, looked at it from every frame of mind I can, but I think it's a mess and I think Joss has messed up royally, but it's his verse so he can do what he wants. Now Angel isn't a perfect book but for me it's bad issues or mis-steps aren't enough for me to give up on it. I have given up on Buffy, and I know Joss is writing the final arc but I could care less, I think he's lost the plot and the characters.
The only thing I can get on board with if the comics merge is that the Angel verse will be tied into the Buffy comics somehow making them canon, they deserve to be canon. I wish Buffy season 8 wasn't.

Tranquillity

That'll put marzipan in your pie plate bingo
It has been confirmed. Angel will be published by Dark Horse as of late 2011.

August 19, 2010, MILWAUKIE, OR"”Dark Horse Comics is thrilled to announce that Joss Whedon's Angel will return to the Dark Horse stable in 2011. Dark Horse's Angel will bring the beloved characters from Whedon's longest-running shows under one roof, allowing for new and exciting explorations of the Buffyverse featuring favorites from the casts of both series.

"I've always regretted letting Angel go in the first place," Dark Horse senior managing editor Scott Allie said. "So we're really excited about getting him back, as well as all his supporting cast. It's necessary for how Joss wants to handle season nine, details of which will start spilling out in the months to come. Right now, we've got to wrap up season eight, and IDW still has a good long run of books before season nine starts."

IDW Publishing confirmed today that it will launch the company's final Angel story arc in November. This closing six-issue arc will serve as a bridge to Dark Horse Comics, which will pick up the series in late 2011. Under the direction of Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Angel creator Joss Whedon, all parties are working together for as seamless a transition as possible. The companies have been coordinating story lines in both Dark Horse's Buffy the Vampire Slayer Season Eight and IDW's Angel, creating a greater sense of cohesion and cooperation to ensure that this transition is true to both ongoing story lines and to the faithful fans of both series.
Angel Returns to Dark Horse Comics :: Blog :: Dark Horse Comics

sosa lola

Scooby
I just read the issue, it's really, really good. All of you should read it, I especially loved the parallels between Angel and Riley as well as Angel/Buffy and Riley/Sam.

Kean
Kean
Ditto

Joan the Vampire Slayer

Carpe Spuffy!
I enjoyed the issue. I still can't stand Riley (what's up with his wanting Sam to be jealous of him helping his ex? Male ego much?). It was nice to see more of Sam. I always liked her, even though her taste in men isn't that great ;)

Top Bottom