• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Discussion of SHIELD 1.01 "Pilot" - Aired 9/24/13 (ABC-US)

JCoatsworth

UP THE IRONS!
Black Thorn
I thought it was pretty cool. Not breathtaking, but good. The episode itself was OK, but I think the show has potential. I didn't like that they have all those sci-fi-y gadgets and stuff. I like it better when people just investigate, without computers that do the work for you (I'm referring to the scene where they search the building in which the bomb went off). That's why I love Castle so much.

I'll definitely have to watch a few more episodes. I guess it's gonna become a lot more interesting when we learn more about the characters' personal lives.

Kean

Professional Bangel
Sineya
For me, this was one of the least enjoyable and poorly put together hours of TV Whedon has ever produced.

I feel like the story jumps all over the place and was edited poorly.

The acting was OK, not great, and I found an awful lot of it very corny.

The thing about all of these complaints is that I don't think I've ever had them with any other Whedon work. He was absolutely in the script but it didn't feel like his show the way his work usually does.

nightshade

Your grandfather is a cat
Staff member
Black Thorn
Having not seen the Avengers, I was lost for a good part of this. I enjoyed Skype, but I that might be more as she was a new character and I could understand her, all I knew about her was what we saw, whereas with a lot of the other characters I felt there was a lot I didn't know.

Hoping that both J and Ron Glass come into other episodes.

I did like lola and agree the flying bit wasn't good, hopefully it wont keep changing and we see more of the original car.

(runs away before everyone starts beating on me for not seeing Avengers)

Black Eye Guy
Black Eye Guy
How have you never seen The Avengers!!
VisionGirl
VisionGirl
Gasp!! Do I need to send you my Blu-Ray?!
Give Us A Kiss
Give Us A Kiss
Thanks for reminding me that I misplaced my DVD :P

Xin Rong

Killed by Dissertation
Having not seen the Avengers, I was lost for a good part of this. I enjoyed Skype, but I that might be more as she was a new character and I could understand her, all I knew about her was what we saw, whereas with a lot of the other characters I felt there was a lot I didn't know.

Hoping that both J and Ron Glass come into other episodes.

I did like lola and agree the flying bit wasn't good, hopefully it wont keep changing and we see more of the original car.

(runs away before everyone starts beating on me for not seeing Avengers)
I can understand that, I think you kinda need to have seen IM3 and Avengers at the very least to get half of what is going on, which isn't great, but kind of unavoidable.

Personally, I enjoyed the show, but would agree it's definitely not Whedon's best work, hopefully it'll get better with time :)

Mr. Pointy

A sharp stick - it's true
Watcher
Black Thorn
I thought it followed on nicely from Avengers and I'd like to see if it feeds back into Avengers 2. You could really tell it was from the Whedon stable and we're waiting in Pointy Towers to see which other alumni show up in future eps. On the whole I didn't think it was terrible and I'll certainly be watching again.

---------- Post added 09-29-2013 at 12:26 AM ---------- Previous post was 09-28-2013 at 11:28 PM ----------

We all know how Joss likes to kill off main characters, right? My money is on one or both of the Brit agents before the end of the first season ;)

R
Robb Stark
[No message]

Bluebird

two by two, hands of blue
Black Thorn
I thought it was a really good piece of entertainment. It seems to want to try and set up a bit too much though, with little asides to future development. It is Joss Whedon though, he does that. Loved seeing his old actors back, with J. August Richards and Ron Glass, I'm hoping to see more of them.

Fitz and Simmons were way overplayed in my eyes. I could hardly understand what they were saying most of the time anyway!

VisionGirl

Newly Human
Sineya
[MENTION=5973]Black Eye Guy[/MENTION]:
Was this serum connected to the Iron Man 3 exploding people? I only saw IM3 once in the cinema, and if it wasn't, then I actually like the story a bit less cuz it even had the same glowing skin look that was in IM3, so it was very similar.
Yes, I think so. Although I too have only seen it once. I'm sure I will watch it multiple more times now that it's out on DVD.

Well, I loved it. But I'm not hard to please lol. And I like Agent Ward. Big surprise huh? I seem to be drawn to the mysterious broody characters that everybody else thinks is boring (Angel, Paul Ballard etc).

Oh and my kids loved it too. I've seen lots of online complaints that it's going to be too "family friendly". Snort, whatever! Just because something isn't dark or full of violence (yes I'm looking at you GoT and Breaking Bad), doesn't mean that it's not quality storytelling.

Give Us A Kiss

Fuffy Apologist
Sineya
Don't like to judge a series after its pilot though.
Want to see how a regular episode works before I know if I will follow it. But it sure looks promising.
I think that judging a series after only watching the pilot is a dumb thing to do.
While I have only seen the first 3 episodes of SHIELD, I will probably continiue watching since it looks like a show with potential :)

Octavia

My arse is not pansy!
Sineya
I am starting a rewatch before season 7. It has been years since I have seen this :D My mind is jumbled over what happens when.

J. August Richards was great.
His appearance is a great way to start. Skyes voice over is a bit dumb but suited to what the genre is I guess.

Ward looks so young and cute!! The jokes may seem a bit forced, but they are pretty funny if not taking it too seriously. Coulson so suits himself lol. Bit heartbreaking to see Ron Glass.

It seems to want to try and set up a bit too much though, with little asides to future development. It is Joss Whedon though, he does that. Loved seeing his old actors back, with J. August Richards and Ron Glass, I'm hoping to see more of them.
Yeah there is a TON of set up, probably a bit much. Really, really early on. If I hadn't already seen this I probably wouldn't have picked up any of it in the first scene of Ward in the office.

Skye was hot and I think she will grow on us all as a character :p
Skye is smokin'. She's already growing on me this time round. Even with the dumb voiceover. I think the actor is actually pretty great, pulling off the hot chick with hacking superpowers. Maybe slightly overplayed, but believable in youth. Love that bit from Ward "whats your real name" another telling sentence. The chemistry with Ward is instant.

Skye is gonna be to SHIELD what River was to Firefly, every character has a past, but one characters is way bigger.
Maybe if she was naked? Hey, we should have the entire cast naked. That'd make for an interesting show.
I dont disagree with either of these statements :p

FitzSimmons are also so cute and young! Aww I just want to cuddle them! Good background characters, as May is at this stage. How long after the Cavalry was this? Is it her first mission back? Shes the best.

I did find it interesting that Coulson kept referring to Tahiti as "a magic place," and the hint that he isn't really what he appears to be.
You'd be right!

I like the way this is filmed, not too fast and loud, good lighting, cool sets.

The dialogue between Couslon and Mike at the station really sums this show up - the little guys doing their bit in the midst of a world of Gods (aliens :) ) .

This is a real good pilot, seeing it again from the end. Sets everything up really well, some bits quite quickly so its straight into the action. I am excited to see more.

HATED the flying car at the end.
Me too.

sk
sk
I also Just did a re-watch of the pilot and episode 2. :) You've gotten a lot further though. Not sure if I will get around to do a complete re-watch.
Reactions: sk

white avenger

white avenger
(hated the flying car)

It's been a long time now (obviously) since I saw that episode, but I always thought that the flying car was great, and was one and that it was, I think, one of the things that they actually brought directly out of the comic books. The original Fury (white guy, hair greying at the temples) had a car that did that, though it was some sort of armored sedan, equipped similarly to Fury's SUV in "The Winter Soldier." If you recall, when Fury was attacked in that movie, one of the initial things damaged on it was it's fling capability.

Sadly, the series never rabbed me, and I stopped watching after the first few episodes. I'm told it got more intersting later, but I just never went back to see.

Octavia

My arse is not pansy!
Sineya
white guy, hair greying at the temples

I think that sums up why I thought it was lame and didn't like it 🤣

I love the Bus, the plane they are in, I think its a fun substitute for Serenity. Watching back over it the cast dynamics are most like the Firefly crew, and I appreciate that more than the plot throughout.

Kratos

Scooby
@Octavia I never really got into this series, but I agree this is a very good pilot episode, though I didn’t like it the first time round. It’s way better on a second watch. Did a great job of introducing the characters and premise of the show. I’m not a big MCU fan, but I liked how it tied in with the first Avengers movie.

Mr Trick

Scooby
I thought it was very solid pilot. Having Whedon's wacky sense of humour and sharp direction really helped. It was a little hard to get a handle on the characters. Ward was my least favourite. His direction later in the show is much more interesting and suits the actor better. It was a nice surprise seeing Richards show up.

Top Bottom