• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Discussion of SHIELD 1.02 "0-8-4" - Aired 10/01/13 (ABC-US)

VisionGirl

Newly Human
Sineya
I didn't feel that it was as strong as the first episode, but it was enjoyable. A lot of fight-y. Then again, I'm watching it with 4 other people (3 of whom are little) so I do get distracted. I need to watch the first 2 eps again alone. My fav part of the ending scene with Nick Fury was the "no fish tanks" lol. Although I think they'll find a way to work that in. ;)

I did like the scene with the team at the end. While I'm intrigued by Skye and what's going on with her, I'm kind of annoyed that they're over-focusing on her (in terms of the drama & the background). We know virtually nothing about the rest of the characters yet.

Black Eye Guy

Taking over the World!
Black Thorn
I thought this episode was much stronger then the first as a story (can't fault a pilot for that that though), the dialogue felt more comfortable and you got a much better idea of what the show is about.

I like that they've already started a bigger story with Rising Tide and Skye, even though we know how it will end , I'm gonna guess by/before mid-season when she has to make a choice between RT and the team, chooses the team, they find out anyway, they feel betrayed, she feels bad, but I was worried they were going to try and go more procedural then have overall stories so I'm happy with that.

Felt better about May in this episode than I did in the first, although for me she's still a little bit to much caricature then character. Ward has a much more believable distance from the team, but still fits in. But I think once we get an episode that focuses on her and explains her more, I'll like her more.

I liked the rest of the characters though, thought they all worked well, played of each other very well, no Firelfy, but it's a good cast.

FitzSimmon and Skye I'd say will be my favorites, they have the dialogue I enjoyed most.

I did like the scene with the team at the end. While I'm intrigued by Skye and what's going on with her, I'm kind of annoyed that they're over-focusing on her (in terms of the drama & the background). We know virtually nothing about the rest of the characters yet.
I think you can expect to see more of that, she's kinda 'us' for the story - everyone else knows how things work in SHIELD, came though the academy and know procedure, we're have to see the story from her view to see it as the new person (us, the viewers) coming in. I thought they had a good balance of explaining it through her, without making her the main character though.
It is very much an ensemble show, it felt like all the cast got around the same amount of screen time/time to show off their skills in particular areas.

---------- Post added at 08:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:12 PM ----------

Oh can't believe I forgot the say the ending was funny.

Also the way Coulson said Tibet was magical, exactly like he did in the pilot definitely has me entertaining the idea he's a robot

Lyri
Lyri
After the way Couslon ducked the van door when it flew off in the pilot...no way was that a move a normal man could have made.

VisionGirl

Newly Human
Sineya
I think you can expect to see more of that, she's kinda 'us' for the story - everyone else knows how things work in SHIELD, came though the academy and know procedure, we're have to see the story from her view to see it as the new person (us, the viewers) coming in. I thought they had a good balance of explaining it through her, without making her the main character though.
Huh, that's interesting. I hadn't thought about it that way but that makes sense. She's not quite sympathetic for me though. She started making some good points on the 1st episode, but J August's character actually did that better for me. I guess I don't get what her personal stake/interest in all this is.

Also the way Coulson said Tibet was magical, exactly like he did in the pilot definitely has me entertaining the idea he's a robot
Yep, something definitely up with this!

The Chosen

Time is all around
Sineya
I thought this episode was vastly better than the pilot. As BEG said, the dialogue seemed a lot more relaxed -- both in writing and in performance. I was really pleased!

I still think the show needs to "grow up" a little bit more. I can't shake the feeling that it's just a bit too slick and childish...The Avengers and the other Marvel movies proved that you can provide entertainment in a fantastic setting like this in a more "mature" way and that's what I hope we see.

This episode really reinforced my faith in the potential of this series though! Also, Nick Fury? How cool was that?!

Robb Stark

King in the North
Sineya
The Nick Fury cameo at the end and the fish tank line was the best part of the episode.

I liked the references to the rest of the expanded Marvel Universe, and I was really impressed by some of the fight choreography, but...not much else. I really want to like this series. I really do, but so far (and yes, I'm well aware we're just two episodes deep) it's been just so, SO average. There's been no "WOW" factor, no gripping character who makes you want to watch over and over again. Skye and Ward are decent enough, but Fitz, Simmons and especially May don't bring anything particularly noteworthy to the table. They just feel, so far at least, like they're "there" to flesh out the cast. It already seems like Coulson and Skye will drive the main plot points of the series, which makes sense to an extent, with Ward along for the ride. Coulson is the guy we know going in and Skye is the access character, but still, I'd like a bit more focus on the other members of the cast.

I like Agent Coulson a lot, he's the best part of the show for me, but I'm starting to feel like he works better in a supporting role as opposed to being the lead carrying the show.

Oh, and Coulson is TOTALLY an LMD. I'm not quite sure why yet, but there's no way he's just alive and well.

Bluebird

two by two, hands of blue
Black Thorn
I thought this was a pretty strong second episode in the sense of developing the characters a bit more. Ward was a lot more likeable this time round.

I like Agent Coulson a lot, he's the best part of the show for me, but I'm starting to feel like he works better in a supporting role as opposed to being the lead carrying the show.
I agree. Although I don't think they meant for him to be the lead, he just happens to be the strongest character so far, and the one we know the most - with his collectibles and cars, seems like a reference to The Avengers.

I really don't like Fitzsimmons, they both come across quite annoying to me, too forced at times. Which is a shame in a Joss Whedon show.

Nick Fury was amazing at the end. Gotta love a bit of big Sam, he's a legend. :D

white avenger

white avenger
The whole thing with Skye is a red herring. She is NOT an infiltrator from Hydra or whatever evil hoarde they're currently fighting.

And what's with not calling the Avengers by name? Iron Man, Captain America, the Hulk, and all the others are only referred to in vague ways, like "a super soldier from World War 2," or "a god." Are they for some reason not supposed to mention them on the TV show?

Black Eye Guy

Taking over the World!
Black Thorn
The whole thing with Skye is a red herring. She is NOT an infiltrator from Hydra or whatever evil hoarde they're currently fighting.
Do you think Rising Tide is part of Hydra? I'd been thinking there's a possibility they are since Hydra haven't been a bigger part of the overall Marvel Universe, outside if CA and the obvious water reference.

And what's with not calling the Avengers by name? Iron Man, Captain America, the Hulk, and all the others are only referred to in vague ways, like "a super soldier from World War 2," or "a god." Are they for some reason not supposed to mention them on the TV show?
I dont think anything is legally stopping them, I just think they dont want to be name dropping to 'be their own thing'

Kean

Professional Bangel
Sineya
This was a little bit better for me than last week but still very cliché and by the numbers. I don't know if it's the acting or the writing but the delivery of the dialogue feels so clumsy at times. It's like it can't find a rhythm.

R
Robb Stark
[No message]
The Chosen
The Chosen
Yeah, I agree.

sk

The Overlooked One
Sineya
I don't want to be boring and say that the highlight was Samuel L. Jackson at the end... but it really was. :eek:

Still, I enjoyed the episode. Think the show has a really nice mix of humor and action.

I'm afraid that the Skye story will be just as predictable as BEG guessed earlier in the thread though.

/SK

Black Eye Guy
Black Eye Guy
I do like being right, but I'd it be more clever then that :(

Black Eye Guy

Taking over the World!
Black Thorn
This was a little bit better for me than last week but still very cliché and by the numbers. I don't know if it's the acting or the writing but the delivery of the dialogue feels so clumsy at times. It's like it can't find a rhythm.
Yeah, my gut reaction for this, is it's the writing.

They aren't actually written by Joss, but I think we were expecting the scripts to be more Joss like and at the moment it feels a lot more like their writing what they think Joss would write rather then how he'd write - if that makes sense?

I'm hoping the big leap from how comfortable the dialogue was between the pilot and the second episode will continue going forward.

But I completely agree about it being "by the numbers", I think I expect more from a Whedon show then we're getting, which is a pity especially since there are some amazing shows in the genre category at the moment, that are way more mature and way more out there like The Walking Dead or Game of Thrones.

white avenger

white avenger
Do you think Rising Tide is part of Hydra? I'd been thinking there's a possibility they are since Hydra haven't been a bigger part of the overall Marvel Universe, outside if CA and the obvious water reference.
I don't think that Skye is the entire Rising Tide organization, the way that it appeared at the first, or that she claimed to be. I think that Rising Tide is going to be a group sort of like Captain Midnight's SQ Squadron from the '50's, or Sherlock Holnes' Baker Street Irregulars, who are probably seeing the sudden outbreak of superheroes and villains as some kind of "Sign From Above," heralding a New Age or something. More or less harmless until they blunder into something, which they probably are going to do, sooner or later.

Kean

Professional Bangel
Sineya
Yeah, my gut reaction for this, is it's the writing.

They aren't actually written by Joss, but I think we were expecting the scripts to be more Joss like and at the moment it feels a lot more like their writing what they think Joss would write rather then how he'd write - if that makes sense?

I'm hoping the big leap from how comfortable the dialogue was between the pilot and the second episode will continue going forward.

But I completely agree about it being "by the numbers", I think I expect more from a Whedon show then we're getting, which is a pity especially since there are some amazing shows in the genre category at the moment, that are way more mature and way more out there like The Walking Dead or Game of Thrones.
To me, it feels like a slight less annoying early season of Bones. Which really, is a long way off the quality of storytelling that we would associate with Whedon.

I can't help but wonder how much being tied to the constrains of Marvel & Disney is effecting the story? I feel like it's obvious in the writing that this is not their baby.

And I totally agree that the dialogue sounds more like what people think Whedon does than what Whedon actually does.

Buffyverse Fan

* The 28th *
Sineya
I like that they've already started a bigger story with Rising Tide and Skye, even though we know how it will end , I'm gonna guess by/before mid-season when she has to make a choice between RT and the team, chooses the team, they find out anyway, they feel betrayed, she feels bad, but I was worried they were going to try and go more procedural then have overall stories so I'm happy with that.
I'd say a way for Skye to be a legitimate infiltrator, but not a "villain" is if she's working for Tony Stark/Bruce Banner. Coulson did make the point after all that the Avengers weren't granted "level 7" intelligence clearance, which this team is privy to... It would also be a way to incorporate Stark's presence without needing the unobtainable RDJ...

Felt better about May in this episode than I did in the first, although for me she's still a little bit to much caricature then character. Ward has a much more believable distance from the team, but still fits in. But I think once we get an episode that focuses on her and explains her more, I'll like her more.
There's also the age difference... Ming-Na tends to play distant characters based on what I've seen of her on Two and a Half Men and SGU.

Based on the Pilot dialogue, I would guess he must be:
1.) A Robot
2.) A Clone
3.) Magically Resurrected

All of the above would raise the question why though. I LOVE Coulson, but from an in-story perspective, he's a relatively insignificant man, middle-management within SHIELD. His only major unique quality is his friendship with the Avengers, but since he's hiding from them...

To me, both episodes have felt like those 90s mid-budget popcorn action flicks. I liked those as a kid, so it'll keep me watching, but is way too thin to suck me in too much.

I hate to disagree with BEG, but I think it feel like the acting, at least with Skye. Her timing on her delivery is noticeably off, especially on a couple of her one-liners. I see no reason why she can't improve though. Joss has gotten great performances out of middling actors before.

Is anyone familiar with the Marvel comics? I picked up "Marvel: Civil War," and Maria Hill is basically a villain in there. Might that play into this continuity?

---------- Post added at 12:41 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:33 AM ----------

It's tough, because he's the most likable character by zounds. It was an odd move giving the J August, the guest star of the Pilot, all of the best material, because none of the other cast has had the opportunity to standout. At the moment, that leaves us with the always likable Coulson.

You're right, because long term, Coulson being the lead will pose a major problem. For one thing, he's good at everything (for a human). There's a reason "Happy Days" was much more popular when Fonzie was the #2 after Richie. Same reason "Joey" flopped despite his popularity as part of the "Friends" ensemble.

Octavia

My arse is not pansy!
Sineya
I love the bus! And "Blue Skies" hehehe The bunks remind me of boarding school. With tv and more tech.

Straight into the alien action, I had forgotten they were in Peru so early - I'm going to love the spiritual links later on when I have time to daydream about it. Can see why it hooked @HowiMetdaSlayer

FitzSimmon and Skye I'd say will be my favorites, they have the dialogue I enjoyed most.
Yeah they bounce off each other really well, straight away. Very consistent character interaction, I guess because they are the babies of the group. Skye does dominate but does do a good job introducing us all to everyone, learning about them as she does.

Fitz and Ward work great together from the get go too. Like brothers. I can see
why Fitz feels so betrayed later. Actually I feel betrayed too! 😭

I do like that Skye is honest about her experience there. And Coulson takes on the Dad role when it was required. She's put herself firmly into princess position.

Ward shows his T100 skills. It feels like a very Whedon show to me. The Train Job on Firefly seemed to move in a similar way. It works for me.

Haha, how cute, Fitzsimmons think May is an admin. Good team building exercise here. Having a common enemy unites anyone! Just ask my buns after I have given them a preventative flea treatment :p

I really like that this is largely filmed on the plane, gives us a good sense of it. Skyes quick thinking saves the day. The character interactions are all great, showing us the dynamics between everyone by the second episode. Maybe formulaic, but really works for a viewer like me.

Mr Trick

Scooby
Actually thought this was weaker than the pilot. It felt more generatic and messy with the plot. Also it was a little telegraphed than a certain character was going to turn out to be a villain... Loved the Fury cameo of course :D I do like that even this early there were signs of the show becoming more serialised. Coulson and May were my favourite characters in the early episodes. I could at least see the promise with Skye.

Top Bottom