• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Discussion of SHIELD 1.03 "The Asset" - Aired 10/08/13 (ABC-US)

Black Eye Guy

Taking over the World!
Black Thorn
This was stronger again, not as big a leap between the first episode and the second, but I still like that it is getting better (it's still very generic though)

The moment Fitz suggested a monkey he became my favorite character, he grew as a character a lot in this episode for me, as did Skye and Ward, the rest went no where.

I'm really liking Skyes story, I believed the stuff she was saying about SHIELD, but it kinda went against what she's doing by still communicating with Rising Tide.

I also like that we dont know about the truth serum, I really like that, cuz it means we can't totally trust everything SHIELD does (as viewers), so we can expect twists and stuff.

I think by the second half of the series this could be very good or very repetitive, I kinda wish it was a mini-series, it's be much better to move along quicker, the format is very generic "monster of the week"

---------- Post added at 11:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:49 PM ----------

Oh and I loved the "After credits" scene, like the set up. I'd like to see a few more of those and build up a rogues gallery of bad guys.

---------- Post added at 11:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:54 PM ----------

Oh and now it's just obvious that Coulson is a robot right? If he was resurrected he'd still have muscle memory - right?

I assumed this was gonna be a season finale reveal, but that seems so far away now to be dropping the huge hints they've been dropping?

AndrewCrossett

Satsu Otaku
Sineya
I thought this episode was a big step up from the previous episodes... and I liked the previous episodes.

Xin Rong

Killed by Dissertation
It's steadily improving, but it's still a far cry away from Whedon's previous work

Robb Stark

King in the North
Sineya
From what I've seen so far, there's nothing really "wrong" with this series so far. It isn't "bad", per say, but there's just nothing overly special or truly interesting about it. That kind of sums up this episode in a nutshell. Not bad, but VERY paint-by-the-numbers. The evil bad guy with his exotic island lair who escapes by literally shouting "get the chopper! Now!" (somewhere Arnold is cheering) and who has the hero cold until feeling the seemingly compulsive need to explain his dastardly plan (seriously, Skye is only alive because of plot luck. Anyone who has ever fired a gun knows that it is a distance weapon. It's not just Agents of Shield that does this of course, but every time I see a villain walk up to the hero and put a gun in her/his face, it makes me roll my eyes), before everything starts exploding was pretty standard.

I thought Coulson was solid, once again. He's the best part of the show so far for me, but I still stand by what I said in the discussion of last episode. He really feels like a strong supporting character, not a lead. I have a feeling they're going to try and develop Ward and Skye into the ones to carry the show, with Coulson moving into a more ancillary role (kind of like what they did with James Caan and Josh Duhamal in Las Vegas), but I'm not sure if Ward has the character strength to pull it off. The things they're introducing to make him cool just are not working for me. He feels like a poor-man's rip-off of Steve McGarrett from the rebooted Hawaii Five-O, and not half as cool.

May's character does nothing for me. She seems like a very strong candidate to be an early kill-off. We're only three episodes in and they've already kind of dropped the hints about her mysterious background. The highlight of the episode involving her was Coulson essentially telling her to give the complaining a rest with his Avengers line.

The ending was neat. The scientist Hall is the Marvel Comics villain Graviton, who I never thought they'd do on a screen of any kind but who I quite like in the comics. I thought the actor portraying him did a solid job. I liked his final few scenes with Coulson.

I think a big, big problem this series is suffering from so far is the fact that it's the de facto television legacy of The Avengers movies and Joss Whedon. If I didn't know any of the prelude to the series, I probably wouldn't think it's bad at all. But knowing that it comes from the creative parentage of all the Marvel movies (which, Iron Man 2 notwithstanding, were amazing) and the guy who brought Buffy, Angel and Firefly to life, it's difficult not to have big hopes. And so far, they just haven't been realized.

Black Eye Guy
Black Eye Guy
[No message]

Black Eye Guy

Taking over the World!
Black Thorn
From what I've seen so far, there's nothing really "wrong" with this series so far. It isn't "bad", per say, but there's just nothing overly special or truly interesting about it. That kind of sums up this episode in a nutshell. Not bad, but VERY paint-by-the-numbers. The evil bad guy with his exotic island lair who escapes by literally shouting "get the chopper! Now!" (somewhere Arnold is cheering) and who has the hero cold until feeling the seemingly compulsive need to explain his dastardly plan (seriously, Skye is only alive because of plot luck. Anyone who has ever fired a gun knows that it is a distance weapon. It's not just Agents of Shield that does this of course, but every time I see a villain walk up to the hero and put a gun in her/his face, it makes me roll my eyes), before everything starts exploding was pretty standard
Yeah I was thinking the same when Skye got the gun and the two guards behind Quinn did nothing, even when she ran to the ledge, they stayed put aiming the entire time but not firing. They also Didn't shoot into pool below, even though they were in perfect position to and instead ran down and tried to get as close to her as possible - I agree not the only show to suffer from 'stupid' henchmen, but it was so over the top stupid, it almost seemed like a parody.

The ending was neat. The scientist Hall is the Marvel Comics villain Graviton, who I never thought they'd do on a screen of any kind but who I quite like in the comics. I thought the actor portraying him did a solid job. I liked his final few scenes with Coulson.

I think a big, big problem this series is suffering from so far is the fact that it's the de facto television legacy of The Avengers movies and Joss Whedon. If I didn't know any of the prelude to the series, I probably wouldn't think it's bad at all. But knowing that it comes from the creative parentage of all the Marvel movies (which, Iron Man 2 notwithstanding, were amazing) and the guy who brought Buffy, Angel and Firefly to life, it's difficult not to have big hopes. And so far, they just haven't been realized.
THIS!

The ending of the episode summed up this show for me, there is a lot of excitement for what the series could be, but they aren't getting anywhere near there.

Kean

Professional Bangel
Sineya
I think I'm out for this show. I didn't finish this week's ep because I was bored, and even the stuff I did watch I mostly had on as background noise while I looked stuff up.

This show is exactly what the comics feel like: a sense that I should be into it but the story just isn't there. Joss's name being on a product isn't enough, he needs to be fully involved in the writing, not just approving scripts.

Black Eye Guy
Black Eye Guy
Yeah I've seen a lot of people around the net say this should be called a Whedon show as it clearly isn't, past named involvment!

Octavia

My arse is not pansy!
Sineya
"Are we there yet". The corny jokes work well this time round. The silly gadgets are funny too.

And we meet the bad guy :) Malta looks wild.

HAHAHA Skye, that was exactly what I was thinking seeing that gun training exercise with Ward. Turns harsh pretty quick though ay. Oh my SkyeWard... those are lovey dovey eyes.😍

Fitz's comedic timing is spot on "Probably just used her ... er... boobs" Bahahahah.

This is a very evil genius techy episode, lots of comedy, like it best for the characters (and Skyeward😍) bits rather than the plot.

"Committed the cause or just watching my back" "Same thing." Aw May.

I remember liking these little end extra bits when it was on air, but now I just find them annoying.

Looking back I still think these three opening eps are a good introduction to the show and suitable family viewing.

Mr Trick

Scooby
I think this was a very enjoyable Bond style mystery episode. Its Skye's strongest episode so far. I do like that we are starting to see shades of grey even with Coulson. The guy playing Quinn I've seen in other stuff. He normally plays sleazy rich villains :D He has a decent presence.

Top Bottom