• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Discussion of SHIELD 1.13 "T.R.A.C.K.S." - Aired 02/04/14 (ABC-US)

Black Eye Guy

Taking over the World!
Black Thorn
Hot on the trail of the Clairvoyant, Coulson and his team board a mystery train that seems to be headed for certain death.
http://abc.go.com/shows/marvels-agents-of-shield/episode-guide

Another fantastic episode! I'm really starting to get hooked in now, the last few episodes have really stepped up.

I liked the set up for the episode, at first I was a bit disappointed with such an over used technique of that overlapping multiple time lines thing, but once we realised it was cuz the grenades effectively "stopped time" for the people who got hit (though why aren't the bad guys just using real grenades?) It worked well.

Grant really grew on me this episode. He's been most least favourite character so far, but the holo-table scene was hilarious.
Were they trying to set up a Coulson/May/Ward triangle-jealousy situation? I really hope I got that wrong, but those scenes were Ward was watching them, and then being short with May, and basically blaming Coulson for Skyes injuries, kinda seemed to suggest it, right?
I hope they dont go down that route.

I loved seeing Fitz and Skye paired together, they were great.

Simmons and Coulsons "undercover" bit was so funny, the amount of information in Simmons back story was fantastic and the bit where she yelled at her "dad" for all the prostitutes was just brilliant.

Could have done without the Stand Lee cameo, I know that's like geek sacrilege, but the cameos always ruin the flow of the movies for me, they should just give him a non-speaking background role, or under heavy make-up to make spotting him a challenge, rather then effectively having him come on screen wearing a vibrant green CAMEO t-shirt. It always throws off the flow.

The show has now gotten through another bad guy, Quinn, and moved onto Mike. They need to stop building up these bad guy, only to have them taken down in the blink of an eye, it's making the bad guys way less threatening.

When Quinn shot Skye the first time, I was like 'meh', the rest of the gang will be here in a minuet, but when he shot her the second time, it took me by surprise, I actually felt like Skye was in danger, it is a Whedonverse show after all, so I found that quite gripping. I also thought maybe her powers would start to manifest, and even though it was just a straight forward 'the gang get to her in time' it was cool that there was enough possibilities of what could happen that it made that really interesting to watch, anyone else feel that?

Announcing Mike was Deathlok before the episode really ruined the whole after credits scene, I would have much rather they kept that a secret, if it had leaked that's one thing, but to announce it makes no sense. Though him getting his leg was cool, I think we should have seen maybe 1 more episode with Mike earlier in the season, I dont really care about him as Mike.

Last edited:

BloodyPopcorn

Townie
Quite enjoyed this episodes, too.

Also.. I am pretty sure the Deathlok thing had been leaked already...

Black Eye Guy

Taking over the World!
Black Thorn
Quite enjoyed this episodes, too.

Also.. I am pretty sure the Deathlok thing had been leaked already...
Oh I thought J got to announce it on Twitter, so it wasn't a leak like a rumour, it was confirmed before the episode aired as official.

thetopher

Member of the Church Of Faith
Sineya
Oh, I so wanted Skye to die...until she got shot, and she was all bloody and looked really in pain. Now I realise I want her to live!

Coulson and Ward were a very cool team, the thing with the holodesk was comedy gold.:D

May's outfit...May chained to the ceiling in a soaking wet catsuit...I'll be in my bunk. :eek:

But mainly I was impressed with the story-telling, the non-linear plotting, Deathlok, the series seems to be switching up a gear- which is what the writers have been telling us for ages but it's still nice to see it confirmed.

May the month fly by!:)

Black Eye Guy

Taking over the World!
Black Thorn
But mainly I was impressed with the story-telling, the non-linear plotting, Deathlok, the series seems to be switching up a gear- which is what the writers have been telling us for ages but it's still nice to see it confirmed.
Yes! They've been saying for a while now that the stories really started moving, but it's kinda only really donw that as of the last 4 episodes. But the storytelling has gotten much better!

May the month fly by!:)
Is ot off the air for a month now?!? Ah crap, they just took a long break then a week break, they should have planned that better.

One thing I forgot to say was I loved the Spy type story, I feel like that was the show we were promised with SHIELD (kinda like the missions on Alias) and we didn't get it. Alias had a fantastic mix of more realistic spy type storytelling with a supernatural element.

SRMarx

Potential
I thought this episode was really good and powerful. The acting was spot on this week.

Also, the double shot was brilliant since that usually means fatality in television (totally caught me off guard too). I can't wait for the next episode!

Black Eye Guy
Black Eye Guy
Yes, the double shot was brilliant, glad I wasn't the only one that felt death was a possible outcome.
Still a Scoobie
Still a Scoobie
Standard Joss and the gang, really, just keeping you a bit off balance.

Still a Scoobie

Nocturnal Lurker
I didn't hear about Deathlok before I watched it, but then I don't know who Deathlok is anyway so it wouldn't have mattered so much to me :D

I do think it had been rumoured previously but I don't see the value in confirming it just before the episode that was about to reveal it.

Splitting the team up into different groups than usual was very good, all the new pairings were fun. Ward and Coulson on the Holotable was my favourite moment, though; Ward's smug look when Coulson admitted he couldn't even turn the thing on then the smugness melting away when he tried to zoom in was excellent.

I feel like Ward was blaming Fitz for Skye rather than Coulson, he was the one that was there with her after all. Having said that I do think he will include Coulson in it - and forgive Fitz much more readily - especially as yes, Coulson clearly has history with May and Ward's getting emotionally attached to her (I can't say I blame him). It's not a triangle they're setting up, imo, just Ward perceiving one because of a) Coulson and May's history and b) the way Coulson's been leaning on May during his search for the truth about himself and Skye.

I see where you're coming from with the Stan Lee cameos but I don't mind them too much. I do wish they'd disguise him a bit better though, especially as, with this series and the movies inhabiting the same "cinematic universe" we now have six or seven guys running round who look and sound exactly the same, or one guy seemingly based in New York who travels a lot for weird reasons, such as going to Italy only to get on a train to Croatia with a couple of girlfriends, and travelling to New Mexico to see a "satellite crash site". Surely Coulson should have noticed that, actually?

I'd love it if Stan Lee could be a minor bad guy in series 2, just for one or two episodes to explain why he keeps popping up all over, it'd be a great bit of fun.

Black Eye Guy

Taking over the World!
Black Thorn
I feel like Ward was blaming Fitz for Skye rather than Coulson, he was the one that was there with her after all. Having said that I do think he will include Coulson in it - and forgive Fitz much more readily
I thought that the moment he said it, but they cut to Coulson right after, which isa technique used a lot on Whedon shows, of talking about someone and then cutting to them.
I think it's Coulson, cuz the whole mission was seen by Ward as a personal mission by Coulson after what happened to him, as he doesn't know the whole truth. Had it not been personal they wouldn't have been there.
If it is Fitz though, I agree I dont think he'll stay mad at him at all.

I see where you're coming from with the Stan Lee cameos but I don't mind them too much. I do wish they'd disguise him a bit better though, especially as, with this series and the movies inhabiting the same "cinematic universe" we now have six or seven guys running round who look and sound exactly the same, or one guy seemingly based in New York who travels a lot for weird reasons, such as going to Italy only to get on a train to Croatia with a couple of girlfriends, and travelling to New Mexico to see a "satellite crash site". Surely Coulson should have noticed that, actually?

I'd love it if Stan Lee could be a minor bad guy in series 2, just for one or two episodes to explain why he keeps popping up all over, it'd be a great bit of fun.

I was reading some other review of this episode (the general consensus seems to be this was a stellar episode which is cool), and a few people had the same complaints I did with Stan Lee and some people were mentioning a theory floating around the internet that Stan Lee could be The Watcher character - which if they used that, I could forgive all the unnecessary cameos as that would at least give it a purpose (though someone pointed out he's not going to be in Guardians of the Galaxy, as he didn't create that team, so that might dispel the theory)

Still a Scoobie

Nocturnal Lurker
I thought that the moment he said it, but they cut to Coulson right after, which isa technique used a lot on Whedon shows, of talking about someone and then cutting to them.
I think it's Coulson, cuz the whole mission was seen by Ward as a personal mission by Coulson after what happened to him, as he doesn't know the whole truth. Had it not been personal they wouldn't have been there.
If it is Fitz though, I agree I dont think he'll stay mad at him at all.
Yeah, you're right about all of that, they were almost definitely going down the Coulson route because they are looking to develop a bit of tension there, but you couldn't possibly ignore that Fitz just let her go in if you were Ward, could you?

I thought at the time that there was going to be a bit of tragedy there, but I thought Fitz was going to be the one to get in trouble.

I was reading some other review of this episode (the general consensus seems to be this was a stellar episode which is cool), and a few people had the same complaints I did with Stan Lee and some people were mentioning a theory floating around the internet that Stan Lee could be The Watcher character - which if they used that, I could forgive all the unnecessary cameos as that would at least give it a purpose (though someone pointed out he's not going to be in Guardians of the Galaxy, as he didn't create that team, so that might dispel the theory)
That could work. But yeah if he's not going to be in that film then it probably won't happen but I think it does need something to tie it together, really. So hopefully someone will pick up on my idea, lol.

Joss, if you're lurking, I'll have a writing credit for that thanks. :D

Whitefang

Protagonist
I'm really looking forward to the Deathlok story arc. With J playing Deathlok it's bound to be good. Joss really wanted J to play a bad guy in Angel so maybe this is where they get to have him as a bad guy. He seems to have been programmed with some stuff that might clash with what the SHIELD characters stand for. He said his 'orders' weren't to kill Skye, but what exactly are those orders? We'll find out as the show progresses, I guess.

My 2 fave scenes in this ep were Ward and Coulson at the holotable (cracked me up!) and Skye's attempt at a Scottish accent (hilarious). :)

Octavia

My arse is not pansy!
Sineya
This is such a fun episode. Space magic train heist. The team get some great comedic lines. Plus Stan! Giving Coulson a serve LOL

Ward and Coulson using the holo- table is hilarious, they didnt go to shield hogwarts. May is kickass, I knew that was a bad guy!
This italian womans voice over the train intercom sounds like the same lady who ran the italian Wolfram and Hart.

Quinn you evil SOB. Another ep bringing back Firefly memories. Coulsons cry - No :(

Mike at the end is sad too. Fun episode til it stabs ya in the heart at the end.

Top Bottom