• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:

1. You really should register so you can chat with us!

2. Fourteen thousand people can't be wrong.

3. Buffy-Boards loves you.

4. See 1 through 3.

Come on, register already!

Discussion of The Vampire Slayer #1 - Released 4/20/22 (Boom! Studios)

Buffy Summers

Yataro
Staff member
Sineya
A bold new story in a new universe begins, courtesy of Hugo Award-winning author Sarah Gailey (Eat The Rich) and artist Irene Flores (Just Beyond)!

After years of fighting against the forces of evil, Buffy Summers finds herself succumbing to the burden of bearing the Slayer mantle. To help his Slayer, Rupert Giles is willing to risk a return to chaos magic, and with Willow's help, they attempt a spell to remove the trauma from Buffy's psyche. The effects backfire though, and leave Buffy unable to remember her past, or her purpose! With Sunnydale under attack, a new Slayer must rise to protect it, while Buffy's friends race against the clock to restore her true self.

Source: Amazon

thrasherpix

Scooby
This sounds really familiar for some reason, like BOOM already did something along these lines.

Oh well, I'm sure they're just churning out the minimum to get out of the contract and move on to better things.

Angel6

Potential
Sineya
This sounds really familiar for some reason, like BOOM already did something along these lines.

Oh well, I'm sure they're just churning out the minimum to get out of the contract and move on to better things.
I’m so disappointed with Boom. I really thought they would do an amazing job with the licence, they’ve done some really cool stuff with other old IP’s. But after ‘the last slayer’? I can’t even give them my money. It was such a low effort shipper baity piece of crap.

Plasma

Not Lurking, Standing About. Whole different vibe.
Staff member
Can we give the franchise back to Dark Horse? They did this, like, terribly, but still loads better than boom.

Counteroffer: give it to Marvel and put some good writers/artists on the book.

I would implode if I saw someone like Donny Cates or Jason Aaron pick up a Buffy book drawn by some of the talent they have. Dream team would be Jonathan Hickman writing with Pepe Larraz or Russell Dauterman doing the artwork, but keeping expectations and dreaming to a realistic level. Plus, get enough issues out and Marvel can put out a sweet oversized hardcover Buffy omnibus that would look good on all of our shelves. 😳

On the topic of the thread, I did not read this issue, but I did look at that 6-7 page sample on Amazon. Someone please clarify this for me, but is Willow seriously a Slayer now, as the sample dialogue implied.

Angel6

Potential
Sineya
Counteroffer: give it to Marvel and put some good writers/artists on the book.

I would implode if I saw someone like Donny Cates or Jason Aaron pick up a Buffy book drawn by some of the talent they have. Dream team would be Jonathan Hickman writing with Pepe Larraz or Russell Dauterman doing the artwork, but keeping expectations and dreaming to a realistic level. Plus, get enough issues out and Marvel can put out a sweet oversized hardcover Buffy omnibus that would look good on all of our shelves. 😳

On the topic of the thread, I did not read this issue, but I did look at that 6-7 page sample on Amazon. Someone please clarify this for me, but is Willow seriously a Slayer now, as the sample dialogue implied.
Hmmm Marvels tie in stuff can be quite sucky too. Their Star Wars stuff absolutely sucks. It’s such a shame because Dan Mora’s art on the first couple issues of Boom Buffy was just stunning.

epimetrius

Townie
Marvel can do AMAZING things. I really liked the Conan relaunch, but I guess John Milius really made sure my bar for "True Howardian Conan" pretty low.

However, I kinda don't want to see more Buffy and Angel; I mean the two specific characters Buffy and Angel. I do think they should really take advantage of that "into every generation..." schtick. Or if a retconned sequel, really consider the ramifications of letting all potential-Slayers to be Slayers. Not every Faith will meet their respective Buffy. It could go full Highlander.

More on Willow being the Slayer. i haven't got my copy yet, but the concept sounds interesting. I think it was in the back of the Hellmouth crossover series there was this glimpse of an alternate universe where Buffy and Xander were childhood besties and Willow was the new Slayer in town. Cool concept really. I don't think the Multiverse take is that bad. I am a huge fan of the Spider-Verse (video games, comics, movies, all of it) and Moorcock's Eternal Champions. I think it can be executed well, when you have a plan. Which I'm really worried BOOM! may not fully have, or have way too much explained in story discussions that never get printed to the panels.

thrasherpix

Scooby
If they're gonna write crack fics of the Buffyverse anyway, and use a multiverse...I'd like to see one about Joyce as the Slayer (I've seen some things more than once that made me think Joyce was a Potential who never got activated).

Of course as a result she wouldn't have had Buffy (at least that would feel way off to me), but it's conceivable she's still alive. I'd be interested to see Slayer Joyce meet Slayer Buffy (though this could be extremely upsetting to both with Slayer Joyce not believing the situation, and Buffy having an equally hard time with it), and even more, the Joyce we know. (Even better if Slayer Joyce actually killed Spike--with an axe, of course--who meets him again with Buffy as an ally.)

They'd probably do it badly, but I'd actually throw away money on it (maybe).

Changed my mind: let some experienced fanfic writer who thinks deeply about the characters and wanting to challenge themselves write this. (If so, please leave me a link!).

Plasma

Staff member
Hmmm Marvels tie in stuff can be quite sucky too. Their Star Wars stuff absolutely sucks. It’s such a shame because Dan Mora’s art on the first couple issues of Boom Buffy was just stunning.

Vehemently disagree. I’ll grant that the main Star Wars title is just milquetoast, but some of their sub-series are amazing. Doctor Aphra, Soule & Gillen’s Vader runs, and a good chunk of the 4-5 issue miniseries are wonderful.

I absolutely agree with you on the Dan Mora point though. It is absolutely jaw dropping (and saddening) reading the ongoing Once & Future with flat out incredible artwork by Mora and then reading the third trade of Boom! Buffy where Willow looks like an ogre while she yells at Rose. What went wrong? 😭

epimetrius

Townie
If they're gonna write crack fics of the Buffyverse anyway, and use a multiverse...I'd like to see one about Joyce as the Slayer (I've seen some things more than once that made me think Joyce was a Potential who never got activated).
Pretty relevant, there are versions of Spider-Man/Woman that are Uncle Ben, Aunt May, or Gwen Stacey. And the interactions different Parkers have are interesting. With the Uncle Ben Spider-Man kind of being a major solution to the conflict at hand.

Marvel writers are hit and miss, though I will say that I feel real narrative coherency. I'm really going to die mad about BOOM!'s 2019 Buffy run not communicating time well enough.

Buffy Summers

Yataro
Staff member
Sineya

Well...in this issue, she is the Slayer. I get the feeling (but maybe it's just my last glimpse of hope waving goodbye to me from afar) that something happened to make Willoe become the Slayer rather than her actually being the Slayer.

So I actually paid money for this issue. And please, no one else do so. Read it at the library lol. It's garbage. I should have known we were in for trouble when they changed the Into every generation a Slayer is born bit at the beginning. Willow is just as terrible a friend in this as she is in the show, and if she is legit the Slayer for this series and it isn't some horrible power switching thing, I am out.

Even if it is some horrible power switching thing, Buffy would not just fade into the background and let Willow take care of it. It's ridiculous for them to portray her as "the girl who goes and fetches the weapons".

Angel6
Angel6
WOW! I think the advert said ‘you won’t guess who the surprising new slayer is!’ I immediately thought ‘I bet it’s just willow’

Plasma

Staff member
Well...in this issue, she is the Slayer. I get the feeling (but maybe it's just my last glimpse of hope waving goodbye to me from afar) that something happened to make Willoe become the Slayer rather than her actually being the Slayer.

So it’s really terrible Willow fan fiction, basically?

Of all the characters to turn into the Slayer via power swapping, I cannot possibly think of a less interesting character to get it than Willow. Considering the “Hugo award winning” nature of the writer, I would expect way better than artificially inflating Willow’s character.

Buffy Summers

Yataro
Staff member
Sineya
So it’s really terrible Willow fan fiction, basically?

Oh that is the perfect way to describe it. Cause, you know, she's a witch...and also the Slayer... :eyeroll:

If I can bear to read it again, I'll try and cap the worst parts lol

Plasma
Plasma
Since eyeroll isn’t a reaction, it will be a comment instead:

🙄

Angel6

Potential
Sineya
Vehemently disagree. I’ll grant that the main Star Wars title is just milquetoast, but some of their sub-series are amazing. Doctor Aphra, Soule & Gillen’s Vader runs, and a good chunk of the 4-5 issue miniseries are wonderful.

I absolutely agree with you on the Dan Mora point though. It is absolutely jaw dropping (and saddening) reading the ongoing Once & Future with flat out incredible artwork by Mora and then reading the third trade of Boom! Buffy where Willow looks like an ogre while she yells at Rose. What went wrong? 😭
I agree the Vader series has been great, I stand by most of their direct tie in stuff to the Skywalker saga being garbage, ‘the rise of kylo Ren’ rivals the worst Buffy stuff and that’s saying something! Did you read that one? Best Buffy comic I have read by a long way was Buffy/Angel: Ring of Fire from 2000 written by Doug Petrie set during Season 2. If you haven’t read it you really must, it’s fantastic.

NileQT87
NileQT87
TRoKR is the best. It's a Frankenstein reversal as in Edward Scissorhands with the "monster" pushed to become what he's been accused of, along with believably malignant peer jealousy of an unequally gifted student and Bloodline's lineage lie reveal.

Plasma

Staff member
I agree the Vader series has been great, I stand by most of their direct tie in stuff to the Skywalker saga being garbage, ‘the rise of kylo Ren’ rivals the worst Buffy stuff and that’s saying something! Did you read that one?

I have, and I actually really liked it! Kylo/Ben is one of my favorite characters in the franchise, so I do feel like that impacted my enjoyment though.

That C-3P0 story where he got the red arm was absolutely horrid though. 🤢 Chewbacca was boring, the Poe comic was just very bland (aside from the appearance of the Carrion Spike, which is a carry over from the great Tarkin novel), and I didn’t much care for the “Age Of” one shots on the whole either. Shattered Empire was also a waste of time. Just go read the Aftermath trilogy of books, because those are incredible.

Best Buffy comic I have read by a long way was Buffy/Angel: Ring of Fire from 2000 written by Doug Petrie set during Season 2. If you haven’t read it you really must, it’s fantastic.

I have not, but it should be in the Dark Horse paperback omnibus collections given the period setting and time it was written. I really need to get around to reading those!

Cohen

Hellhound

So I actually paid money for this issue. And please, no one else do so. Read it at the library lol. It's garbage. I should have known we were in for trouble when they changed the Into every generation a Slayer is born bit at the beginning. Willow is just as terrible a friend in this as she is in the show, and if she is legit the Slayer for this series and it isn't some horrible power switching thing, I am out.

Even if it is some horrible power switching thing, Buffy would not just fade into the background and let Willow take care of it. It's ridiculous for them to portray her as "the girl who goes and fetches the weapons".
I’m so depressed that it’s THAT bad. I feel like you have tried literally every incarnation and for you to give the big stinker, it MUST be awful. I mean, Boom has really disappointed me, but this seems so far in the toilet, I can’t even imagine. I might go read it in the stand at my comic store just to get the glimpse.

Buffy Summers
Buffy Summers
If you do, tell me what you think.

Angel6

Potential
Sineya
I have, and I actually really liked it! Kylo/Ben is one of my favorite characters in the franchise, so I do feel like that impacted my enjoyment though.
Whaaaaat! No!!!! They literally just tried to take away any responsibility he he had for anything, it was the biggest retcon I’ve ever seen 😂 just because they wanted people to like him more after they decided he was gonna not be the big bad after all.

hmm I’m not sure Ring of Fire it is in the omnibus because it was a special one shot thing. You can get it on eBay for like £3 though!

GreyWalker1958

Potential

Of course as a result she wouldn't have had Buffy (at least that would feel way off to me), but it's conceivable she's still alive. I'd be interested to see Slayer Joyce meet Slayer Buffy (though this could be extremely upsetting to both with Slayer Joyce not believing the situation, and Buffy having an equally hard time with it), and even more, the Joyce we know. (Even better if Slayer Joyce actually killed Spike--with an axe, of course--who meets him again with Buffy as an ally.)

They'd probably do it badly, but I'd actually throw away money on it (maybe).

Changed my mind: let some experienced fanfic writer who thinks deeply about the characters and wanting to challenge themselves write this. (If so, please leave me a link!).
I'd buy and read that.

And with the idea of Joyce as a Slayer, there's a fine way to remix S5's (and even S10) arc in having Buffy take Dawn place as Queen of the Portals in that particular part of the Multiverse corner

epimetrius

Townie
Okay, so, I think I don't mind the switcheroo here. I know, I'm late to the discussion. Just finished reading like literally a minute ago. The status-quo I'm getting is that Buff is this squads Xander. So it's not like Buffy and Willow switch, rather all three of them swapped roles. I'm willing to give this one more of a go. The last run, under Jordie Bellaire felt disjointed, and that it required familiarity with the characters. Here, I feel like I'm learning about Willow, Buffy, and Xander instead of being told to remember 7 seasons of the tv series.

Plasma

Staff member
So here’s a question, and maybe you can answer this @Buffy Summers , but we saw a Slayer Willow and de-powered Buffy at the end of the Hellmouth event. Is there any sort of callback or references to that, or is this something completely different? 🤔

I’m almost willing to give it a pass if it’s an alternate universe, but if it’s a continuation of Boom! continuity I wonder what the heck they’re even doing anymore

Top Bottom